Social media - How much engagement are your hubs getting?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Paul Maplesden profile image76
    Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years ago

[This is a repost of a forums post that I wrote over a year ago; I thought this might be useful to the influx of new writers, hence reposting now.]

Getting your hubs shared publicly via social media is a great way to drive traffic and also has a positive impact on search engine rankings. Because of this, its useful to keep track of how many times your hubs have been pinned, tweeted, liked or plussed.

I've looked at various ways of doing this, and have previously used Like Explorer - http://www.likeexplorer.com/ where you can enter an individual URL and it will tell you about how its being shared.

This can take time though as you have to input each URL manually and keep records, not fun if you have over 50 hubs!

Recently though, I have found a much more efficient way of tracking this and wanted to share it. It's a specialized search engine that takes Google results, then queries and displays social stats for each result.

You can find the search engine here: http://ctrlq.org/google/

The best way to use this is to type 'site:yourdomain.hubpages.com' into the search bar and hit enter. Replace the 'yourdomain' bit with your actual hubpages domain (so I would type in site:paulmaplesden.hubpages.com) The search engine will then show you all of the pages that Google has indexed and display social stats under each one. Note that this can take a bit of time as it does the queries, but it does provide some great insight and is the quickest way I have found of tracking these shares.

I hope you find it useful!

1. PegCole17 profile image95
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

The tool is really useful in letting us know the stats on our articles shared or tweeted. Very interesting results. Thanks for this great tip!

2. Elsie Hagley profile image70
    Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years ago

Thanks for shaing. I have just used it, but a real shock, hardly any visitor, lots and lots of zero's.
    It looks a good way to start sharing my hubs with the social media. smile

3. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

That is a cool tool.
    Thank you for sharing that.

4. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 9 years ago

Very useful. Thanks, Paul.

5. RonElFran profile image97
    RonElFranposted 9 years ago

Paul, I think this will prove to be a valuable link, but people should be careful that they understand what is being reported. I tried Like Explorer with one of my hubs that got a lot of exposure on Facebook as well as other social media sites. Like Explorer reported only about half the number of Facebook shares/likes as what my HubPages stats recorded as views from Facebook. The difference appears to be the fact that Like Explorer is not reporting actual click-throughs from the social media site, but only shares and likes. Obviously the two classes of response need not match.

Given that proviso, I found Like Explorer especially valuable for those hubs where my HubPages stats didn't show any social media involvement, but Like Explorer did. That's helpful.

6. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

Paul, this is very helpful. Thank you. The results can help us decide where we need to put more attention updating old hubs. It makes sense to keep those hubs up to date with fresh content that have already shown to be liked socially. I put more attention to updating old hubs than I do with writing new hubs. I found it's more worth my time.

7. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

I have not been long here and this info is really helpful. I have not been actively sharing on social media lately but I will pick this up again.

8. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Hi Paul!

This link was published a year ago and is very helpful and makes you feel good looking at it.

The trick with social media is to step into your audience' shoes and post only fascinating, interesting stuff. That way you can guarantee they'll share it. Who cares about one view when you post.....you have to reach a lot of people by being engaging, interesting and the best. And gear your hub so it gets shared because it's great!

I think a hub which really grabbed my attention was one by AngryElf about secret McDonald's recipes. Ask yourself what exciting content you would share on the net and write it! Or, go find the communities surrounding the niche you write about and social media that to death.

9. tlcs profile image63
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

Thank you for this Paul I hadn't seen your first posting, I will be sure to take a look.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)