jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

The Value of Having All Comments Viewable

1. lbrummer profile image93
    lbrummerposted 20 months ago

I’ve been reading, in the forums, about how comments may or may not influence traffic to a hub.  I have set my comments to have the latest comment shown first, and that only the first five of those comments are viewable.  To see more comments there is a button to click.
    My reasoning was that if folks wanted to read older comments they could, but at least all the comments wouldn’t show, and wouldn’t have to be loaded, if they weren’t going to spend the time reading them.
    Now I’m wondering if that is a poor way to treat comments.  Especially, am I cutting off possible keywords in the comments by showing only five comments.  Does anyone have an opinion about the advantages of showing all comments?

1. PegCole17 profile image91
      PegCole17posted 20 months ago in reply to this

It's a matter of personal preference as to how many comments are visible and whether the last comment is at the top. I personally find it frustrating to scroll down to the bottom of a stream of comments to type mine and then to scroll back up to the top to make sure I don't have a typo or to make a correction if needed. I guess that's why they've given us the option to do it either way.

2. Kylyssa profile image93
    Kylyssaposted 20 months ago

It really depends on how good the comments are. If they are discussing the topic in-depth, they are an asset. If they do not contribute to the topic or wander off-topic, they can dilute the focus of the page. I choose how many comments to show on a hub by hub basis.

On hubs that get a lot of congratulatory comments with little substance, I show only five comments. I show more on hubs that get a lot of well-considered comments.

1. lbrummer profile image93
      lbrummerposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, Kylyssa, for your reply. At least now I don't feel like I should change all my comment modules.

3. tlcs profile image79
    tlcsposted 20 months ago

Kylyssa is quite right! It would take you ages to go and change your comment modules, much better to be writing another hub!