Change the title of a hub that ranks high but has little traffic?

1. RonElFran profile image96
    RonElFranposted 19 months ago

I have a hub that gets little traffic, and I've been looking for new keywords for the title. But the hub already ranks #4 in Google (with private results off) for the best search terms I've been able to identify using Google Keyword Planner, even though those terms are not currently in the title - and even the best of these terms only get 140 searches a month.

Would changing the title to explicitly include the terms it already ranks for do any good? Could doing so perhaps lose what little SEO juice it has? Or should I just make the title as descriptive of the content as possible (that would provide no ranking keyword terms) and do my best promoting it on social media?

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 19 months ago

I really encourage people to write titles and content naturally.  One of the biggest mistakes I see is that people will write unnaturally to create relevance signals (slightly awkward and a little keyword stuffed).  If a keyword is in the page once or twice and has other language that (lookup co-occurence seo) supports it that is now considered a best practice.

A good title that describes a page is a best practice, but you don't necessarily need to include it in the title to rank higher.

Instead of putting it in the title, I've found the use of a good subtitle and expanding on the section has proven to be really fruitful.

1. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, Paul. I think the subtitle idea is really useful, and I'm going to put it into practice.