jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Reminder: Hubscore poorly related to Traffic - What Google Likes vs HP

1. janderson99 profile image86
    janderson99posted 2 years ago

I decided to check how the NEW Hubscore is related to traffic, after the changes to Hubscore to remove traffic as a contributor. Below is the result. Clearly there is a very poor correlation, and some of my best performing hubs have Hubscores from 65-75. My take from this is that what Google likes is poorly aligned with what HP likes. What now? How to please Google and get more traffic?

http://wotheheck.com/scatter.jpg

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hubscore is the embodiment of HP's belief that it knows better than Google what readers want/like/need.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Did you include factors such as the number of searchers, amount of competition and where the traffic is coming from?

2. Jayne Lancer profile image89
    Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago

Having read a few forum posts by staff, I think HubPages' aim is to be one step ahead of Google. The belief is that what HubPages likes today is what Google will like tomorrow.

1. wilderness profile image95

That is certainly the hope.  Whether it works, and whether google will allow it to work remains to be seen.

1. colorfulone profile image89
        colorfuloneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That is my hope, and HP must be putting their faith in it.
        I am putting faith in the HubPages Team.

1. wilderness profile image95

With neither the data necessary nor the ability to analyze it, let alone the ability to make any changes, that's what I do.

It is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

3. aesta1 profile image92
    aesta1posted 2 years ago

Maybe the lower score for hubs that get traffic is to encourage us to update those so it will even get better traffic once it's updated.

I think so.

2. Ramkitten2000 profile image94
      Ramkitten2000posted 2 years ago in reply to this

If true, that feels manipulative to me.

3. Jayne Lancer profile image89
      Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps something to do with Paul Edmondson telling us that poor quality hubs that attract a lot of traffic are a danger to the site. He is probably right, but I don't think it's legitimate hubbers who are currently active who are creating that cr@p. There is still so much pre-2011 stuff on the site that was created by hubbers who have long since abandoned their accounts. Perhaps staff should deal with this before lowering the scores of our best performing hubs.

4. janderson99 profile image86
    janderson99posted 2 years ago

My take on this is that it may be better to write 10 short hubs to get traffic than 5 massive stellar ones full of stuff. Getting traffic is a bit hit and miss. This tactic could yield twice the traffic from 2-4 short ones that succeed (20:80 rule), than 1-2 big ones. Bit radical I guess!

working