jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Charming Maine Bed & Breakfast to be Writing Contest Prize

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
    Christy Kirwanposted 19 months ago

Hi there, friends. I just saw this article about a lovely Maine hotel which will be given as a prize to one lucky writer who can write the best 2 paragraphs.

The contest entry fee is $125, but it almost sounds worth it just to dream! What a fascinating way to choose a successor for a bed and breakfast business.

2. billybuc profile image88
    billybucposted 19 months ago

Well, I'm about $120 short for the entry fee or I'd give it a try.  What a great contest, though. Thanks for sharing it, Christy!

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 19 months ago in reply to this

What a witty comment! You've made me smile.

1. Venkatachari M profile image85
        Venkatachari Mposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Me too!!! Sometimes, he turns up to be so sarcastic and it is a good reason also.

3. tirelesstraveler profile image88
    tirelesstravelerposted 19 months ago

Entrepreneurs like Ms Sage give me hope for the future. This is a great forum.

Maine is beautiful, but I think I will pass on this contest. I seldom get further north than Boston while on the east coast.

4. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 19 months ago

Sounds to me like the old owner takes the million dollars everyone says she's going to raise with the contest, and that the new owner folds inside of a year due to being hired for their prose writing and not their B&B experience and skills.

1. lobobrandon profile image82
      lobobrandonposted 19 months ago in reply to this

The current owner was selected in a similar way if you read the write up. Also, that's just an estimated number of entries, can be more or less.

2. Cynthia Hoover profile image88
      Cynthia Hooverposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Absolutely agree. What great way to maximize profits versus an outright sale of the business property. Entering into or taking over a new or established business property you know nothing about can cost you big bucks in the long run. I think I'll keep my money.  Best of luck to the sucker, I mean winner.

3. calculus-geometry profile image87
      calculus-geometryposted 19 months ago in reply to this

From the rules on the contest's website http://wincenterlovellinn.wordpress.com … les-entry/

The Innkeeper and judges shall read and evaluate each essay properly
      submitted with an attached valid entry fee as here-in described. Each
      essay which meets the Technical Requirements as set forth here-in, shall be judged on the basis of structure of essay (introduction, body and
      conclusion), creativity, thought and the conveyance of capability and desire to operate a Country Inn.

Sounds like Ms. Sage will weed out entries that convey a lack of knowledge about running such a business.

5. clivewilliams profile image81
    clivewilliamsposted 19 months ago

125 bucks.....mmmmm...haven't received a dime from hubpages yet much less to spend 125 bucks to write in contest.