jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Charming Maine Bed & Breakfast to be Writing Contest Prize

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
    Christy Kirwanposted 2 years ago

Hi there, friends. I just saw this article about a lovely Maine hotel which will be given as a prize to one lucky writer who can write the best 2 paragraphs.

The contest entry fee is $125, but it almost sounds worth it just to dream! What a fascinating way to choose a successor for a bed and breakfast business.

2. billybuc profile image85
    billybucposted 2 years ago

Well, I'm about $120 short for the entry fee or I'd give it a try.  What a great contest, though. Thanks for sharing it, Christy!

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 2 years ago in reply to this

What a witty comment! You've made me smile.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Me too!!! Sometimes, he turns up to be so sarcastic and it is a good reason also.

3. tirelesstraveler profile image86
    tirelesstravelerposted 2 years ago

Entrepreneurs like Ms Sage give me hope for the future. This is a great forum.

Maine is beautiful, but I think I will pass on this contest. I seldom get further north than Boston while on the east coast.

4. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Sounds to me like the old owner takes the million dollars everyone says she's going to raise with the contest, and that the new owner folds inside of a year due to being hired for their prose writing and not their B&B experience and skills.

1. lobobrandon profile image81
      lobobrandonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The current owner was selected in a similar way if you read the write up. Also, that's just an estimated number of entries, can be more or less.

2. Cynthia Hoover profile image93
      Cynthia Hooverposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely agree. What great way to maximize profits versus an outright sale of the business property. Entering into or taking over a new or established business property you know nothing about can cost you big bucks in the long run. I think I'll keep my money.  Best of luck to the sucker, I mean winner.

3. calculus-geometry profile image86
      calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

From the rules on the contest's website http://wincenterlovellinn.wordpress.com … les-entry/

The Innkeeper and judges shall read and evaluate each essay properly
      submitted with an attached valid entry fee as here-in described. Each
      essay which meets the Technical Requirements as set forth here-in, shall be judged on the basis of structure of essay (introduction, body and
      conclusion), creativity, thought and the conveyance of capability and desire to operate a Country Inn.

Sounds like Ms. Sage will weed out entries that convey a lack of knowledge about running such a business.

5. clivewilliams profile image79
    clivewilliamsposted 2 years ago

125 bucks.....mmmmm...haven't received a dime from hubpages yet much less to spend 125 bucks to write in contest.

working