Amazon Affiliate Question

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (29 posts)
  1. bloggerdollar profile image73
    bloggerdollarposted 16 years ago

First of all Hello to all hubbers,

I'm new in community maybe you've seen some of my articles.
    I have a question about Amazon affiliates. I've never used amazon before so I got sth to ask.
    I am using the amazon widget given with the hub pages. When I go check for my amazon reports I see under link type report :

Banner Links
    Category
    Build more 240 0.00%  0 N/A 0 0 $0.00

240 Impressions for banner links. Nothing other for other link types. No impressions or whatever. Is it normal? Is the ads displayed in the hubs are banner links only?

2. caspar profile image59
    casparposted 16 years ago

Yes, I get the same results.  All my impressions are listed under banner links, so I guess that's the way it works from Hubpages Amazon capsules.

3. bloggerdollar profile image73

Okay thank you,

Now I can focus on why nobody clicks on those ads:)

4. caspar profile image59
    casparposted 16 years ago

Yeah...me too!

5. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

I have not ye made anythign off amazon on any of my blogs, including hub pages. It has been 6 months so obviously I am either not doing it right or for me it doesn't work. If somethign doesnt change soon I iwll probably delete and just stick with google

6. bloggerdollar profile image73

Anybody making any earnings?? Please give us some tips if you do..

7. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

I don't think the common technique I see of just sticking a random amazon or ebay capsule at the bottom of hub is ever going to be very effective -- and may even reduce your overall revenue (by reducing the visibility of adsense).   If you're hub is about a specific product or products, then try placing a capsule with just 2 or 3 directly related products at or near the top floated to the right.

As for the reports, you should look at the daily trends and earnings reports.  I'm not sure the impression reporting you're talking about is accurate.  The daily trends will show you total number of clicks and number of orders, and the earnings will show  you specific product detail (if you've made any sales).  Across HubPages amazon clicks are converted into product orders at around a 3% rate.

8. bloggerdollar profile image73

Thanks for the info Paul. I am trying to place related ads but we will see what it brings.

9. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I have been using amazon for about 6 weeks now. I have produced about 30 hubs in that time all with amazon ads. I have sold one item and made $2.76. If I don't sell anything over the Christmas period I will give up on them.

10. maverickmonk profile image60
    maverickmonkposted 16 years ago

i have kept the ebay and amazon ads for a week now.. and i dont see any clicks on them sad

11. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 16 years ago

The best way of promoting your amazon links are to spread them far and wide and not really limited to just hub pages, hub pages is only part of the internet equation, you have to have other venues to offer your relevant information and if your information at hub pages is your best example of quality informational content then you lead all of your bread crumb links back to your relevant hubs.

Long tail keywords are quite useful to drive traffic to your amazon links, quite often from the off chance that peope are searching for particular products online using the search terms that you are linked to.

Typically the best way of referring people to products that they are searching for is to write about useful topics that describe relevant content for people to digest easily.

12. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I have only sold one thing with Amazon.  It was a kitchen item that could be used in the recipe on that hub.  I always try to make sure my Amazon items are very relevant to content of the hub, but I have still only sold one thing.

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I did not have any success with Amazon in my life outside Hubpages, so I did not bother including it in my hubs at all. The only use I have for Amazon affiliate account is when we want to buy something from Amazon, and my wife places an order through it, saving us extra 4% big_smile

14. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

i like floating them on the right with related items, but so far i haven't sold anything . :-( ebay either...

15. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

So far, I've made just under $15 with Amazon---nothing to write home about, but it's something. I definitely focus on making my Amazon modules relevant to what my hub is about. The funny thing about that is that out of all of the purchases made, only two items were things that I actually recommended. Remember that you get a cut from anything a reader  buys after they click on your affiliate link to enter the Amazon site. I've had people buy DVD players and rice cookers after clicking on items I recommended that were totally unrelated. It's definitely an argument for making  an effort with the Amazon module. You might be surprised someday and have  someone order something really expensive after clicking on your aff link.

Hey, a girl can dream, right?  ;-)

16. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

About 5 months ago I decided to give Amazon and Ebay one last month to get a sale and two days before i was going to remove the ads from my hubs i got a sale from Amazon, and the next day i got a sale on ebay, i decided to leave the ads and see how it would go, I now get at least 1 sale from each every month,and although it doesn't break the bank it is building up steadily, recently from one sale item on ebay i got a commision of over £12.00 over $24.00,when i get a sale on Amazon it is usualy a multiple sale the same person buys more than one item, i have set the minimum payout for each of my accounts to $500 and i hope to recieve payment within the next 6 months.
    Keep the ads on your pages, it may take a while but the sales will come, it only takes about 10 seconds to add an ad capsule, to your hub . and after all it isn't costing you anything. so you have nothing to lose.
    good luck.....jimmy

17. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 16 years ago

Furthering on from what Jimmy has said (and Whitney)... having the item on the page Toggle Width (float right) adds a bit of colour and spark to the page. It'll break up big slabs of text and make it easier on the eyes for your visitors.

18. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

I use Amazon to offer items that are very specific to the topic of my Hub, and which are often hand-selected, and I'm slowly seeing increasing sales from my Hubs.  My feelings are that if you just throw a random capusle into a Hub, you aren't going to see much of a return. 

Paul Edmondson specifically asked me about retail earnings when I visited the Hub Home Office in October, and I gave feedback on a few ways that I thought the retail capsules might be developed so as to increase sales.

19. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I have to say that after making my last comment, I checked Amazon, and I had another sale!  Again, it was an item specific to the content of the hub.

20. bloggerdollar profile image73

Thank you guys for feedback. I guess one sale is better then 10 clicks for adsense so I can wait more to see sth. from amazon.

21. bloggerdollar profile image73

I just wrote a BattleStar Galactica review with Battlestar Galactica Dvd ads. I think that it's a perfect match for amazon and will share the results with you if there is any activity..

22. Whitney05 profile image84

guys, do you know how long it takes for amazon sales to show? someone i've been talking with says that she bought something on my hub, or at least i'm assuming she did. I have the item on my hub, and she says she purchased it from amazon. Plus, she's asking about other items i've got listed with amazon links. Just curious. I'm hoping, maybe i made a sale. ha.

1. waynet profile image67
      waynetposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Your sales should show almost instantly, in your reports!
      I've bought some stuff myself through my affiliate links and it's showed quite quickly and plus I've made lots of small commissions quite frequently through my amazon links and it still has shown up quite recently.

AFFILIATE MARKETING IS BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Interesting discussion on Amazon.  I spent some time yesterday reviewing my Hubs, repositioning the Amazon capsule and choosing better items. When I started, I couldn't work out how to choose stuff by ASIN so I just used keywords.  Now I've got the hang of it, I'm surprised just how many books I can find relevant to almost any topic!

I must say, moving the capsule up into the text does improve the look of the Hub, if nothing else.  It'll be interesting to see whether it results in any sales!

24. Whitney05 profile image84

I've actually purchased things from my amazon links, and haven't received any comission. I was told that because I did it on my own account much less on the same computer, that Amazon would recognize that and I wouldn't get the comission for the sale. so, how were you able to get comission on something you bought from yourself?

No...it does work by getting commissions from your own amazon stores, have you made any astores with amazon?

Frequent testing has resulted in sales and earnings showing up in my reports from seperate affiliate tracking id's, maybe just try and not log into your account and click the links inside of your account as this may lose the tracking cookie to credit your sale, instead clear your cookies before attempting to buy something from your own amazon store.

25. bloggerdollar profile image73

I actually got some orders at last, so it works smile

my sales was from promoting an item so I think it is useless to put amazon ads on all hubs but to use them on item related hubs.

26. Whitney05 profile image84

Waynet- I don't have my own amazon store. By just purchasing from an ASIN number that I posted in a hub, I did not receive any commission.

I believe that my father has an amazon store that he uses on his websites to post products, which he sometimes purchases from and gets commissions (of course set up for viewers).

You can have up to 100 seperate affiliate id's and associate stores with amazon, try it, I have a very popular star wars one, a lord of the rings one and other seperate niche ones that I am adding stuff to every day as it becomes available, you can customize your store front and everything, even add an about page and a link back to one related website or blog.

As for your ASIN number, did it have your affiliate tracker id in it and was it spelled correctly?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)