jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (11 posts)

Bogus Broken Link Notification

  1. Swisstoons profile image74
    Swisstoonsposted 2 years ago

    About 36 hours ago, I found the Broken Link skull on this hub: http://swisstoons.hubpages.com/hub/general-quiz

    Contrary to the message, nothing was highlighted.  I searched every link on the page twice and found no broken links. Nevertheless, I removed the only ebay link I'd posted.  I then clicked the Check For Violations Now button...and got a clean bill of health.  But the skull remains.  What gives?  Anyone else currently experiencing this problem?

    1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

      Check this post:  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/129153#post2714063

      I had one, too; it was in a photo capsule and was not highlighted.  HP converted my "source" of "wilderness" into a link.

      (Scroll down from the link to a little post from Matthew where he describes it better).

      1. Swisstoons profile image74
        Swisstoonsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

        Thank you very much.  Am about to click on the link you've provided.  I appreciate your help!

      2. Swisstoons profile image74
        Swisstoonsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

        Well, I've gone back and checked everything again...twice...and again found no broken links anywhere.  But as I was checking, another annoying problem cropped up.  The edit box stuck to my cursor and anytime I tried to move the cursor to "Save" or "Discard Changes," the entire edit box would move.  Frustrating to say the least.  In any event, I just clicked the "Check for violations" button again...and just as it did a couple of days ago, it's telling me there are none.  But the exclamation point remains next to the page title.

        1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

          The link in the photo of Eisenhower does not work.  Make sure you didn't just type "wikipedia commons" in the "source" box, which is what I did.  And then HP, looking for a link in that box, puts a https// in front if it, but of course it still won't work.

          1. Swisstoons profile image74
            Swisstoonsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

            Thanks for checking.  Actually, I checked that Wikipedia link several times in the past couple of days...and each and every time it took me straight to the Wikipedia page.  The last time I checked it was only two or three hours ago and it was fine.    But I just clicked it and, you're right, it is not working NOW. Maybe HubPages can see into the future?  Apparently, HubPages software swapped out the link for that Wiki page with a DESCRIPTION of the page. So, now, I am putting the original HTML back where it belongs.  I'll see if that works.  Thanks again for finding the problem and pointing it out!

            1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

              The gnomes that occupy the HP servers are strange creatures indeed.  Maybe they CAN see the future! smile

              You're more than welcome.

          2. Swisstoons profile image74
            Swisstoonsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

            I did type "Wikipedia Commons" into the "Name of the source" box...but I had the correct workable URL in the "Source URL" box until the HubPages software changed it.

            1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
              Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

              There were not changes made to the content of these source URL boxes, but we did not check this field in the past for valid URLs. So we check them now, but the functionality to highlight so they are easy to find is not working properly. So unlike other broken links, those in the source URL for a photo capsule may not be highlighted in the HubTool nor indicated as broken to readers as are other broken links.

              Our engineering team is aware of the issue.
              Thanks for your ongoing patience!

              1. Swisstoons profile image74
                Swisstoonsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

                Thanks for responding.  I can tell you that the link in question worked properly everytime I clicked to check it over the past several days even as the broken link icon appeared next to the page in my Stats.  But when I checked about an hour ago, it did not work...for the FIRST time.  So, the source code I had in there originally did the job it was supposed to until very recently when part of that source code was changed to include a partial description of the Wikipedia page.  I did not modify it to include that partial description. Someone, or something, else did. I don't know what else to tell you.  I REinserted the correct URL into the Source Code box and it works properly once again...and the exclamation point on the Stats page has finally disappeared. Thanks again.

              2. Swisstoons profile image74
                Swisstoonsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

                As you can see here, I am not the only hubber with this problem. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/129204

 
working