jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

About copyright

1. Teodora Gheorghe profile image92
    Teodora Gheorgheposted 2 years ago

I have a few questions concerning the copyright laws (when importing images)

- I found this specification at one point: “You must also include a United States public domain tag to indicate why this work is in the public domain in the United States.” How do I include this tag?
    - Certain images are said to be in the Public Domain in Russia, Japan, etc  Might there be any problem using them in the USA or other countries?
    - When I modify a picture (where I am allowed to do so, of course) how do I specify the fact that I made some changes to it, in the Caption box (something like “changes were made”)? Also, I read that this is mainly the case with CC BY-SA 4.0… In 3.0 and earlier license versions, the indication of changes is only required if I create a derivative – I read about the derivative works, but I’m not sure if they include things like making a picture black and white/sepia, cropping it or adding text to it…

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
      LuisEGonzalezposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The best thing to do is to include the copyright tag,(CC-BY-2.0 for example) and follow what it requires. Do not be too concerned by copyrights from other countries ( if it's allowed to be copied/used there then it is likely the same in the US) since the copyright is typically issued in the author's country of residency and most countries have signed some sort of agreement.
      Most copyright tags require that you indicate if changes (any changes no matter how small) were made and you should state this somewhere in the image's caption area like "edited to comply with TOS. You may see original by following link"
      The only ones that you cannot change are those that indicate so like CC-BY-ND 3.0 for example.
      Each pair of letters in the tag indicates what is required;
      BY (author's name)
      SA (share alike)
      ND (non derivative)
      Do not worry about the numbers... they stand for how many times the license has been updated/modified and I forgot to mention that in sites where you display adds or sell things like HP, whatever image you use, must not have in the copyright  the letters NC (non commercial) and it should actually have text like  "permission to use even commercially" somewhere in the copyright's descriptive statement.

Teodora Gheorgheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you very much for the information!

2. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 2 years ago

Try one question per thread. Your list of issues is rather overwhelming - I know about copyright and my head was reeling after reading your questions!

Also I'd suggest you specify WHERE (i.e. state URL) you read things when you say something is stated.

Sorry... I thought it would be easier to include my questions in a single thread. I'm still new here. I didn't mean to make anyone's head spin. big_smile

2. NateB11 profile image92
      NateB11posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Nothing wrong with her questions. It's better to keep it all in one thread so that you are not starting a lot of threads. It's all on one subject. I also don't see the point of citing references in a forum thread.

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 2 years ago

I suggest you read HubPages guide to image use and then see what questions you have left once you are done.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

Thank you, Relache! smile I already read the guide when I joined HubPages. These were the questions that I didn't find an answer to. I guess I find it a bit difficult to grasp all the rules as far as copyright issues are concerned... But I will avoid asking more than one question per thread.

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

- In the field under the picture or at the end of the article. Really any logical place is okay.
    - Yes it can. Stick with the US rules or anything under a universal CC license.
    - If derivative works (which would include change in hue etc) are allowed but credit must still be given, indicate it in any logical way.  e.g. "image based on/modified from:"

Thank you!

working