jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: I Almost Went Postal

1. cherylvance profile image83
    cherylvanceposted 19 months ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub I Almost Went Postal. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 19 months ago in reply to this

The biggest issue is that the hub content is what HubPages calls "purely personal".

What that means is that the only people likely to be interested in reading it are those that know you. A free blog would be a better venue for that kind of writing.

Hubpages wants you to write articles that appeal to online searchers. Think about things you know that could be useful to others.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 19 months ago in reply to this

The big, big problem is the real estate link.  The rule on HubPages is that all links MUST be relevant to the main subject of the Hub.  Your Hub is not about real estate, therefore you can't have a real estate link on the Hub. 

You also need to fix your formatting - no huge white spaces between paragraphs.

3. Amy Turberville profile image59
      Amy Turbervilleposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I definitely agree with Marisa on this one. The real estate link at the bottom needs to go. Plus your spacing is way too big.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 19 months ago

I would suggest using standard spacing between paragraphs and starting by explaining what your hub is about.

cherylvanceposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for your suggestions  psycheskinner.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 19 months ago

Hi Cheryl,

I didn't read the entire hub, but here are my impressions. 

It looks like a personal narrative, which is probably all right, but you should know that those types of hubs don't get a lot of traffic. You have to look at it from the reader's perspective. What will he or she gain from reading your hub?  If you can direct it towards the reader, they will be more likely to read it and feel satisfied from reading it.  An introduction would help with that, and if you mention that it is about the people you have met along the way, it will help keep the hub cohesive.  Right now, your intro doesn't do a good job telling people what your hub is about, just what it is not about.

Also the link at the end makes me think that it is possible that the reason for this hub is to sell the book and real estate.  Take out the link to the real estate for sure.  It is only tangentially related to the subject of your hub. People coming to your hub will be looking for spiritual guidance not real estate. This link will keep your hub from being featured. The link to your book is also promotional, but I don't know if it would fit as over-promotional. You can probably leave that one there.

I see that you have added spaces, but now there may be too many spaces. You only need one space between paragraphs not two.  The way to add more white space is to make your paragraphs shorter, and I think you probably have done that already.

Thank You.  This helped a lot.  The  reason I put the real estate link...Time after time I  tell this story the next question is...who is Myesha & Carolyn?

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 19 months ago

Hi, Cheryl -

I agree there are a few extra spaces between paragraphs (it can be difficult at first to plan a hub visually).  You might want to put a photo at the top, so readers will see an image when they first view the hub. If possible, find one that conveys the overall message of the hub rather than an image of one person. If there's a way to add more images, that also helps.

Look for some ways to put the capsule titles to good use - perhaps incorporate things that might be SEO or keyword searches (related to the overall topic or title) and use that real estate for those words.

People who search for 'going postal' will likely be looking for news stories or informative stories about workplace violence or high-profile incidents.  If that term is in your url, and if the hub isn't about what people normally search for, this could be a problem.

One option (not the most fun, but people have done it) is to formulate a title that better fits the content or theme and republish the hub with the new title. You'd have to create the new title (leave the new hub empty for a few days), and copy your current content to a safe place, like a Word document. When the new content is safely stored in a third location, delete the content of the existing hub (but consider leaving the url available for future use).

Then install the old content into the hub with the new url. Give the content a 'rest' between deleting it and reinstalling it, to allow Google time to purge it from their bots, otherwise, you'd be flagged for duplicate content if Google can still see the old hub in its system.

Don't delete the first url until you decide if your current hub title could be used for yet more content that targets 'going postal' in the way people might search for it?  That term is catchy, and might get some traffic for you!

Thank you so much...This was a great help.