Would Somebody Please Clarify What Size The First Hub Photo Should Be?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Rangoon House profile image88
    Rangoon Houseposted 9 years ago

Hi everybody - would you mind just clarifying what size the first photograph on your hub should be - is it 800 x 800 pixels? Thank you so much for your help. And, I am really sorry if this is super obvious and there are a gazillion forum topics etc. about it already. I have been looking and have seen a few different possibilities, so just wanted the final verdict.

1. Robin profile image86
      Robinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is not a super obvious question; it's a great one!  The size of the the image depends on the Hub. This Hub on cupcakes for example has a first image with the size of 520X700.  It's an image that will do well on Pinterest because it is long and had text on it.  I personally don't like having all images this size in the Hub because they are too long, but it's nice for the first image.  If you want a smaller image, I think that the size 520X325 looks nice.  In HubPro, we try to have all of the photos, except for the first one if it's a pinnable topic, be the same size and full width.  I think this creates a consistency that is professional looking.  I recommend changing all of your photos to full width.  Traffic to mobile is now higher than traffic to desktop and all images on mobile are full width. 

The most important thing is to take your own photos if you can.  Having original photos tells your reader that you are an expert.  If you have to, use creative commons photos.  Our Learning Center has a great resource on using photos properly.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Robin,   I always have the largest pixel for my photos at 1000,  Is this a problem?  Also, I do not understand the need to create wide photos because when hubs are viewed on mobile, so why does this matter?  Also, I disagree that taking your own photos makes you seem like more of an expert. Some people are not good at photography, but this does not mean they don't know their topics well.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
          Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

1000 is great.
          We suggest a minimum size of 1000 pixels in the FAQ.
          http://hubpages.com/faq/#imagerequirements

1. Rangoon House profile image88
            Rangoon Houseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much Matthew and thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

2. Robin profile image86

Of course sometimes you can't take your own photos, e.g., a Hub about life on Mars.  I didn't say that you aren't an expert if you don't have original photos—just that your reader will likely trust you more if you have them.  For example, f you are writing a Hub about the best chocolate cake recipe and you have stock photos, I'm not going to believe it's the best recipe out there.  Original photos are usually the best way to go.

2. Rangoon House profile image88
        Rangoon Houseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much Robin. (One matter that certainly doesn't require clarification is that you spend an awful lot of time answering questions and addressing issues here, so I really appreciate your help). So, it seems that there isn't necessarily a steadfast rule. I have looked at your recommended hub and understand the Pinterest preference and the full width visual requirements. I am in full edit mode, so I will obviously be at it for a quite a while. Thank you again.

3. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Robin, I use quite a few thumbnail photos rather than a huge batch of centered, full width photos.  Does this work for the mobile crowd if I center them rather than right justify them?

1. Robin profile image86

Hi Dan!  smile  I think I would make your photos full width, especially your original photos.  It is fine to still have them in a thumbnail if you think that's a better reader experience.  When you make them full width you are certain how they will be shown on mobile, e.g., you may want a photo below the text, but we put them above on mobile and the work doesn't flow properly.

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'll think about it.  I've several "how to" hubs with as many as 20 thumbnail photos showing particulars of the work.  Making them all full size in a hub of 1000 words means a LOT of scrolling.  I did manage to check a couple on a phone - HP centered them with the blown up one (reader chosen) being full width and changed the location of the worst offenders to be centered after the explaining text rather than alongside of it.  I think that might be the best option.

2. Robin profile image86
    Robinposted 9 years ago

Interestingly enough, I'm trying to see if I can increase time on site for my Bee Sting to the Eye Hub by removing the thumbnail view on my photos.  I'm wondering if users aren't sure how to use the photo capsule and aren't seeing all of the photos.  It might be worth a try for you, too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)