jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

Any suggestions on trying to write with a broken finger?

1. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 19 months ago

The 'pointer' finger on my right hand is in a cast making it difficult to type.  Sure would appreciate any ideas you may have.  Big Thanks!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
      Rochelle Frankposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Hunt and peck?  Type with your toes?
      Of course it might be a good time to try Dragon Dictate voice recognition software-- (especially since you are a "vocal" person)-- it is really kind of fun, though may requires some editing.
      Hope you heal speedily.

1. sallybea profile image96
        sallybeaposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Definitely try voice recognition.  I tried it out for a little while (for fun) and was amazed at how good it was.  You probably have a program on your computer without realizing it.

2. vocalcoach profile image93
        vocalcoachposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Thanks Rochelle

2. 0
      Miran Shuletaposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Voice recognition is your only hope unfortunately

3. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 19 months ago in reply to this

If you are a touch typist, I'd recommend the "peck" part of "hunt and peck." I find that when I can't use my regular touch typing technique, I can be maybe 50% as fast using a single finger on the affected hand. I know the keyboard so well I don't have to "hunt" for keys. I typed this that way. It's a little uncomfortable at first, but definitely doable.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Hi vocalcoach,

Hope your finger heals soon! That has got to be one of the most frustrating injuries for a writer. As others have mentioned, voice recognition software could be a good option. You may also want to consider using a tablet and installing a keyboard that allows you to swipe with one finger to type.

5. Richard-Bivins profile image89
      Richard-Bivinsposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Dragon Naturally Speaking... this is a great piece of software that converts voice to text.  It's helped me increase my output from 10,000 words a week to about 40,000.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 19 months ago

Can you hand write instead?  Get a whole bunch of hubs ready by doing the research and note taking.  Then you can transcribe your notes and create hubs when your cast is gone.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 19 months ago

Do you have an Apple iPad? It has the Siri voice recognition. You can type by speaking. The iPhone has it too.

4. tlcs profile image78
    tlcsposted 19 months ago

Get someone else to do it for you, that's what I would do, I would ask a family member to type what I dictate until it was better. Sorry to hear about your finger! not good, not good at all. It is amazing how much we do with our hands and take for granted until something like that happens, broken wrist is just as bad!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 19 months ago in reply to this

Use a tape recorder, save your work and then edit and publish once your finger has healed.  Two years ago I broke my right wrist in 4 places and had to have surgery (I'm right handed).  The doc told me that typing on a keyboard was good therapy, and he was correct!  However, fingers are different than wrists, so ask your doc before trying to type.  Good luck!

5. Uzochukwu Mike profile image61
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 19 months ago

Voice recognition software is the best of all.

6. MariaMontgomery profile image83
    MariaMontgomeryposted 19 months ago

While a broken pinky finger was healing, I used my ring (3rd) finger on the keys that I normally used the pinky. That was several years ago before voice recognition software was as readily available as it is now. These days I have arthritis, and my mouse hand gets achy and swollen after a few hours of typing. I'm considering the voice activated software, myself.  Good luck you you, and heal fast.