jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

Active vs Passive Voice

1. Kain 360 profile image89
    Kain 360posted 2 years ago

Generally speaking, I fathom the difference between the active and passive sentence, however,some sentences perplex me, particularly when I am writing in the second-person.

Jane kicked the ball (this is active.) The ball was kicked by Jane (this is passive).

For some reason, however, I can't tell whether I am writing some sentences in the active or passive voice.

Like these ones I wrote, for instance.

1) "If they become too easy, take less rest between sets to make the muscles work harder."
    2) "Many exercises can be performed at home to stay fit."
    3) "A ton of exercise equipment is not required, although it can be helpful."

I'm studying the 18th edition of Hodges and Harbrace handbook, but many examples about active vs passive voices are generic sentences that are easy to determine.

1. profile image0
      LisaKeatingposted 2 years ago in reply to this

#1 Active - the subject is understood (you). (you) take less rest...

#2 Passive - Many exercises can be performed (by you) at home...
      To make active- You can perform many exercises at home...

#3 Passive - A ton of exercise equipment is not required (by you)...
      change to - You do not have to purchase a ton of ...

Kain 360posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I thought as much. I just have to be cautious using "you can" because I've had articles rejected; editors saying I use it too much.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I find the easiest thing is to ask myself "who is .......ing?"

so for your examples:

1) "If they become too easy, take less rest between sets to make the muscles work harder."
      2) "Many exercises can be performed at home to stay fit."
      3) "A ton of exercise equipment is not required, although it can be helpful."

In the first sentence, YOU are taking less rest.  That's a person, so it's active.

In the second sentence, EXERCISES are being performed.   That's not a person, so it's passive.

In the third sentence, EQUIPMENT is being required.  That's not a person, so it's passive.

This is starting to make more sense to me.

What about this sentence? "The pushup is more difficult if you place your feet up on an elevated surface." Or should I say "Place your feet up on an elevated surface to make the pushup more difficult. The second sentence is imperative, whereas the first is declarative.

1. profile image0
          LisaKeatingposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If you are trying to explain how to get a better workout, use the second sentence but change the last word to "challenging." The word "difficult" means hard to do.

3. Maina Ndungu profile image85
      Maina Ndunguposted 2 years ago in reply to this

To better distinguish between active and passive voice, copy paste your text into Hemmingway App using your pc. Just type the name into a search engine.

Wow thanks a lot! This app seems to be better than other programs I used.

working