jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

"unrelated links and products" and "related hub"-?

1. James M Becher profile image57
    James M Becherposted 18 months ago

Thank God, my Good Friday hub, "7 Last Words of Jesus from the cross" became featured again, after I eliminated links to my other hubs and the product link to my Biblical novel.   Now I see on the "Related hubs" section that hubpages adds, there is listed my Christmas novel.  It seems to me that my Biblical novel, "Of Such Is The Kingdom" would be more related than my Christmas one.  What does Christmas have to do with Good Friday, other than the fact that they are both holidays, and without the first there wouldn't have been the 2nd?   My Biblical novel details the crucifixion and would thus be more related, although it deals with only two of the 7 words.   I had it as an Amazon product and also had the link to the hub about it, but removed them when the hub went un-featured.  I could try adding them again, but I don't want to take the chance of it becoming un-featured again, and thus loosing traffic (It is the most popular one now).   Who chooses which hubs go in the "Related hubs" spot??   Is there any way we change what is there?  It just seems unfair.    And can anyone from HQ tell me whether adding either a link or a product capsual about my Biblical novel would cause the hub to go unfeatured.  Please reply asap.  Thanks.

1. galleryofgrace profile image81
      galleryofgraceposted 18 months ago in reply to this

It probably got flagged as "self promotion".  HP is not a free advertising site and self promotion is frowned upon.

2. James M Becher profile image57
    James M Becherposted 18 months ago

Then, WHY did they list MY hub about MY OTHER (& definately
    UN-RELATED) NOVEL in the so called "Related hubs" section????
    I really DON'T GET IT!!!

1. Jean Bakula profile image95
      Jean Bakulaposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Hello James,
      I understand your frustration. I write a lot about astrology, and each sign rules different things. So many of my products have been blacklisted as having nothing to do with the topic, when it has a lot to do with it. The administration says they want people with specialized knowledge about their topics, and then when we do, they put "related hubs" at the bottom of our hubs that have nothing to do with our topics. I may just give up with Amazon, I never made a payout anyway.

You can't add a link to anything of yours, they will call it "self promotion" even if it's not, and you are just trying to give people more information if they are interested in your hub topic.

They are just grasping at straws and don't really know what will get HP back in Google's good graces again, and I believe it never will anyway. Write because you like to write, and don't expect to make much money. And once you get the rules down, they will try something else. If you have a large body of hubs, you'll never have time to write, and will spend all your time constantly revising the same hubs over and over. If you have links and they haven't noticed yet, leave them alone. If you change or revise, it has to go through the approval process again. Best wishes.