I don't understand linking.

1. Becca's Blog profile image60
    Becca's Blogposted 7 years ago

I do not understand how to link sites that have articles from other hubbers about the same kind of things I have written about. Someone suggested this was a good thing to do but I can not find a link botton when I read good articles to help me link to them. I am obviously getting something wrong.

1. Sally Dillon profile image60
      Sally Dillonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Becca - As you are writing your hub, you use text blocks, correct? In the text block tool bar, you will see a link symbol that looks like a small piece of a chain. Highlight the word you want to use as your link.

For example, I just created a link within my hub to a hub about heart chakras. I highlighted the word "heart chakra" in the text block for my new hub and clicked the link icon. A new window appeared where you can now enter the URL of the hub on heart chakras. Open a new window in Internet Explorer by clicking Control-N. Find the hub you want to link to and highlight the URL at the top of the page and click Control-C to copy it. Then click back to the window and click Control-V to paste the URL into the link window. Or, you can just type in the URL instead of copying and pasting.

Next, since you don't want your visitor to leave your blog, click the tiny sentence in the link window that says something like "Advanced options" and select "open in new window," then, if your visitor clicks the link, they stay on your blog but a new window opens for them with the link destination. Now save the changes.

Be sure to test your link to see if it works. Hubpages will even check your links for you and notify you if they don't work. You will see this in your Account area. Shoot me an email if you need more help.

Sally Dillon

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Well, if you want to link to Hubs about similar subjects, HubPages has already done that nicely for you, in the "Related Hubs" box to the right of every Hub. 

If you want to choose specific articles and put a link within your Hub, you can do that a couple of ways.  You can add a "Links" capsule and fill in the boxes.  Or (and this is the best way) you can refer to the Hub within your article and make it a hyperlink.

For instance, you might say, "Whitney05 gives great advice on how to train Rottweilers".  Then highlight "how to train Rottweilers", click on the little chain icon and paste in the URL of Whitney's Hub.  Make sure you include your tracker too!