Angry at this plagiarist but also angry at Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Lady Lorelei profile image84
    Lady Loreleiposted 8 years ago

I am sure that I am not the only one who will find themselves or their work on this website. Remove space after the 7 to view.

http://autoloans7 .tk/the/the-intelligence-of-crows-lady-lorelei-on-hubpages.html

I am burning in anger at once again having to fight a plagiarist who is most likely leisurely picking up articles and profiles to abuse because he most likely exists here at Hubpages.

If someone cannot write, or if they are suspected of having purchased content (which is usually pretty easy to spot), then those profiles should be removed and banned. Keeping them here and putting them into the HUB Pro program to help them in appearance as someone who can write, puts all writers here at risk of this type of profile theft happening again and again.

I am angry and I feel that I have every right to be.

Scroll to the bottom of their site or to the side and you will see many familiar Hubpage authors listed there. Profiles, titles, and articles stolen.

1. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure this is correct, Lorelei. - "If you scroll through your traffic stats it shows you which people at hubpages are viewing your articles" .

I think it is showing a member of HubPages in the Traffic Stats when one of our hubs is viewed from Related Hubs from other members' hubs.

I am not positively sure, I can be wrong.

Added: That site isn't running ads, so what are they doing this for?

Lady Loreleiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure why they do this but I hate having my name associated with this. They also steal your keywords and title. It may be to lessen your article's status  or your credibility as a writer while they promote on another site a similar article. There are a number of games this type of individual play. I am now filing a DMCA.

2. Susana S profile image90
        Susana Sposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're correct colorfulone. When we see another hubbers url in our traffic stats it means a visitor came from their hub to ours, usually via the related hubs section.

3. Lady Lorelei profile image84

"If you scroll through your traffic stats it shows you which people at hubpages are viewing your articles then you can view their profile to see which ones look like they have purchased content on their account or a very empty profile it is a pretty suspect". I had posted this further down. I already checked.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I tried to find the site with the url you provided and no matter how I tried it, the site that came up showed nothing whatsoever with regards to copied hubs.  I must be doing something wrong?

I put a space in after the 7 to make the link dead (so we don't give this site any extra credit with the search  engines.) just remove that space and you can see the site.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Update:

After a tedious search I found what you are talking about.  It does not appear that they stole your article, just your title and possibly an image or two.  This site obviously was set up outside of the US by someone who has no clue about how to set up a website, let alone speak comprehensible English.  In fact, the whole site is a joke!

I see no links to anything, nor do I see any articles.  It must be so far back in Google's index that it would take days of searching to find it.  I wouldn't worry about it!

This is what is referred to as article spinning and yes it is something to be concerned of.
        1. My pen name (from Hubpages as stated on the site) and is now associated with this garbage.
        2. If they have words from an article spun throughout a section it will show up intact in a search. I discovered this previously on a wood working article and wondered why the heck my anniversary article was showing up there. It was woven throughout their article.

4. Randall Guinn profile image67
      Randall Guinnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is something that the music industry has been dealing with for a long time, and have spent a fortune on to curtail, but without any satisfaction. On You-Tube I have several playlists there that I didn't upload, but I do own the songs on CD's or purchased downloads. You know, a song now is only a buck, so why not own it if you like it. Unfortunately, today we live in a society where many people think that you are a sucker for buying music. Today, plagiarism is really a tough nut to crack, and it is getting out of control. I wish you the best of luck with this.
      Randall

5. MelRootsNWrites profile image89
      MelRootsNWritesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lorelei,
      This is so frustrating!  I found a couple sites like this at the beginning of the year where they had portions of my hubs surrounded by their crap.

It appears they make money on the pages for GTA cheats.  I notice one page had an amazon product on it though I neglected to see if the URL had a referral link.  So, I guess what they do is scrape all this mangled content in hopes people will click on the GTA pages and then buy something through amazon.

6. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lorelei,

As others have mentioned here, when another Hubber appears in your stats, that means visitors are coming to your Hub from one of their Hubs (usually from the Related Hubs section), which is a very good thing.

Most plagiarists are completely automated and often have never even actually read the articles they are stealing and posting, so stopping them, sadly, is extremely technically difficult until the stolen content actually pops up elsewhere online.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years ago

Everybody here should go to the search box and enter their username, or portions of it. Not sure what they're all about, but they're not helping us any.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lady L -

I don't see anything that indicates these same people are here on HP - do you have information related to that?  If so, go to the offending profile here on HP, 'report' the profile, and include the url to the site you referenced here.

From what I can tell, this is a site that scrapes content and slaps it up on the web. It's a free domain name, and you can find the information in Whois (dot) com on where they got the domain name. Report your concerns to the abuse as well as the copyright emails listed there. 

At any rate, I don't know see anything that suggests the infringer has accounts on this site.

I have been writing online for a many years. It is pretty easy to tell when sites are being watched and there are many suspicious profiles here that I can easily pick out. I am sure the people at HP must be well aware of how it works as well. If you scroll through your traffic stats it shows you which people at hubpages are viewing your articles then you see which ones look like they have purchased content on their account or a very empty profile it is a pretty suspect.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
          Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lady Lorelei, No the stats don't show all the hubbers viewing your hub. They show the vistors that visited one of their hubs and then went to your hub. Too bad we can't tell who visited our hub.

I used to think the same thing, but those aren't the hubbers visiting.

Thank you for that. I was looking at the traffic stats and it shows a number of hubbers who have visited and how many times they have.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
              rebekahELLEposted 8 years agoin reply to this

These are visits from related hubs on those subdomains. That's how it shows in traffic stats.  The more visits you have, the better!

I wouldn't worry about this site you're referring to.  If the site address shows up in your WebMasters Tools account, you can use the disavow tool. Otherwise, forget it.  It's not worth spending your time and energy on these kind of sites. Google knows they exist.  One tip I will add is to make sure your hubs have related textual links to other hubs in your subdomain.

3. firstcookbooklady profile image83
    firstcookbookladyposted 8 years ago

I'm sorry. I don't care.

My name is being shown as the possible poster of horribly spun stolen material and I am not impressed and I do care. I am proud of my work and very much dislike being slandered.

1. Shades-of-truth profile image83
        Shades-of-truthposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would care, too, Lady Lorelei!

4. Lady Lorelei profile image84

Just received some help from a fellow hubber who says the host is http://www.dot .tk/en/report_abuse.html so the place to file your DMCA too.

5. GiftsByDiana profile image48
    GiftsByDianaposted 8 years ago

Oh no - I'm so sorry !

6. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

I just went to the site mentioned in the first post and all I see is a seemingly endless stream of gibberish having to do with "cheats" for the game "Grand Theft Auto." Am I missing something?

7. Lady Lorelei profile image84

I have filed a DMCA so hopefully by sometime next week this site will be down.

8. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 8 years ago

I´m already tired of filing DMCA. Why can´t hubpages do something about those cheaters. We should focus on writing other than checking our hubs if someone has plagiarized it.

9. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

I'm wondering if starting a blog with the listed thieves sites with the heading; MY STOLEN ARTICLES would help
    Or listing the thieves on our profiles so readers understand that we're not writing that gibberish.
    I used to put my copyright notice throughout my articles.
    some thoughts from  another frustrated thief victim... yikes

Just keep filing DMCA's or having the Plagiarist's Google Adsense or Amazon Affiliate accounts removed. Every time you do you help out a lot of other writers as well as yourself.

10. Sandyspider profile image73
    Sandyspiderposted 8 years ago

A couple of months ago I found many of my hubs in this manner from those people.

11. cam8510 profile image92
    cam8510posted 8 years ago

My name, a title of one of my hubs and an image were there, but not real content.  I don't get the point of putting my name and the title up.

1. profile image0
      Lorelei Cohenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps to discredit? I have not a clue why but I hate my name being attached to that garbage.

2. Muttface profile image80
      Muttfaceposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I clicked on my scrapped image of a grammar topic and it leads to an Amazon page selling Christmas decorations.
      Amateur hour!

Which means this site could be reported to Amazon for abuse of their affiliate program. wink There are ways to fight these characters.

1. Muttface profile image80
          Muttfaceposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They took a few lines from my profile, but went to the trouble of taking out all the capitals out. How very odd!
          Many of the scrapped images lead to that exact Amazon page selling the holiday decorations.
          I don't think these people are very bright...

12. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years ago

A few snips from my profile are listed, as well as my name. Most of what I saw, in general, is strung together in a way that makes it difficult to read - there are partial sentences, pieces of one person's name in the same sentence with another person's name, etc.

I doubt these were copied manually - we've had many 'scrapers' before this. They develop bots that scrape the entire site. This looks like a hodgepodge of many, many names and bits of content from a large number of writers here. People need to check for their usernames names (I had to enter my first & last name separately to find my information).

13. firstcookbooklady profile image83
    firstcookbookladyposted 8 years ago

this is the guy who you are complaining about?

14. Lady Lorelei profile image84

Just updating to say that I have heard back that his post is being removed as it violates policy. Not sure if this means just my page or all his garbage. Sometimes sites are great and remove the entire profile but other times they simply removed the post that the DMCA is filed on. I am just happy to have my name removed from his site.

15. LillyGrillzit profile image78
    LillyGrillzitposted 8 years ago

It has been removed. Thank you.

Yippee! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)