How do I rekindle the enthusiasm?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image81
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12322662.jpg
    When I first became a part of HubPages I was excited and enthusiast about being able to write and have others read my offerings and perhaps even get paid. Now—it’s a struggle to interject the occasional comment in a forum let alone create a well-written hub. I have become totally disenchanted and considering just letting my account sit and my score drop down to 0. The thrill is totally gone and I am having a really hard time getting it back.

Any meaningful suggestions?

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am very empathetic to this as I too seem to be in a quandary regarding enthusiasm to write, interact, and overall add to life enthusiastically. I cannot assure you, however I can attest, your score more than likely while also most probably will  not drop to zero. My experience shares not writing any articles for nearly a year my score actually climbed while fluctuated occasionally. That is supported by the concept of entropy with its surrounding and supportive theories thus far in history proving to be so. Therefore, we now can remove the principal of a score from the discussion regarding "How to rekindle the enthusiasm?".

Let us ask ourselves what is 'kindle'? Yes, we all today say it is Amazon with its self-publishing system and software - 'Create Space'. We may pause to realize it originally was the fuel for causing the product of friction or a spark to become a blaze. Soon, that becomes a fire or simply a form of energy providing heat and light while providing for purpose - warmth, cooking, and security.

At this juncture we may ask where is that fire, of which we seek to 're'kindle while also asking "why not a new fire"? After all we know how to cause a fire as we were successful with doing that very act. We seem or with asking 'rekindle' to realize something is still smoldering or heat remains. At task is fuel. Simple enough. A source of fuel and the resource(s) for the fuel must be discovered and then utilized to cause that initial flame now smoldering while is awaiting to become a blaze soon to be a roaring fire, yet carefully controlled.

That leads to the purpose of the fire and questioning that . . . of least is the quandary of my personal journey with the question proposed. Quiet honestly the original fire still remaining is a book, of which still smolders deep within seeking the experiences publishing here at HP to become a reality. For this person that quest is of presence asking to be fueled. The lack of writing, interactions, and account growth is not a symptom for this person of least, it is an indication of growth.

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

So ... It is NOT to rekindle or to stir dying embers but to start afresh? Interesting if not thought provoking on my part. Leaving scores out of the equation I will contemplate on the why or better yet the why not? Writing is a passion, a strong desire, a necessity for me and when I reach, as it were, a Sahara Desert in my writing I must pause to reflect. Why has this happened? How important is it to me? What can I do about it? As to why it happened, I am not sure. As to how important it is to me, well it is very important when I have personally committed to a project. Finally, what can I do about it, well this is the purpose of this forum. Discovery!

1. tsmog profile image84

Answering the first question one may ask first is intent. Using myself sharing as an example while realizing difference occurs for another or many is my original intent writing at HP was to learn how to write. Simple enough. The journey I have walked, ran, and at times hopped like a bunny rabbit (giggle + giggle . . . Easter time and all that :-) was always discovery of how to put words together to serve purpose.

The original intent and purpose are the burning embers. Yes, I have taken 'a' burning ember carried it with me down a path one day and used that ember to ignite a fire for purpose. The purpose - cook food, night time warmth, and light was served. That ember was extinguished for reasons of safety for the environment as I had learned fire may consume the environment.

Yet, always there was fire remaining at the original encampment to where I would return. The original embers lay burning, yet of new fuel . . . that glow remains never being extinguished. Does that make sense for you . . . or, in short words is the original intent for writing at HP saying in a hushed whisper . . . "remember me?"

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like you are simply tired right now.  Writing here is labor intensive and can exhaust people, so why not just take a few weeks off and relax?

Another problem is that there is a lot of tension here right now, and the team has asked us to make many updates.  If you're already tired, this just adds to the load.

Here's the catch, though.  If your work is not getting good views or you are not making payout regularly, you begin to think "what's the point?".

I have been there, and what I did was to completely revamp my site.  I made it into a niche site, increased wording, improved and added images and captions, etc.

It  was amazing to see the transformation.  Views are up, CPMs are up and income is up.  So I am energized.

Perhaps you should stop writing and start reworking.  The results may get your blood running again!  Good luck!

1. tsmog profile image84

Good advice . . . I think I will begin that journey by rereading firstly before updating the works at the profile. hmmmm . . . maybe the profile is a key too. What do you think?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do think the profile is important also, but I tend to ignore it more than I should.  Thanks for the reminder!

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image81

That is really good advice. Thanks ... I will look into revamping some and redesigning. I will also look into resting as well. Appreciate 'ya!

3. csmiravite-blogs profile image73
        csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am motivated by money, so I do other more lucrative ventures offline. However, writing fascinates me, even if there is not much money in it for me. I,  nevertheless,  earn more moolah doing freelance work than writing hubs. I use HP though, as my work portfolio, a showcase of what I do offline and online. Perhaps, I am motivated by life itself --- whether I earn money or not.

3. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

but our profile score is very high compare to mine, 76, you could write more hubs on your interest, hobbies and recipes please, I prefer recipes alot

4. profile image0
      Snakesmumposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Can so relate to this, as it's exactly how I feel at the moment, so I'm just dropping in and checking up on my hubs, and making the odd comment, to keep in touch.

One day soon, I hope I'll be motivated to actually  write a new hub, and do more than just edit anything that needs it.     At present, I'm enjoying taking a break from writing here, and on my website.

5. clivewilliams profile image73
      clivewilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

sometimes hubpages seems like an annoying fly that you love and dont want to swat. The team makes writing here seem too difficult with its many changes. But lucky for me i also write elsewhere producing much shorter articles and guess what??? get more traffic and better compensated. I have a few articles here that are struggling and i will continue to write here when i am simply in the mood and move some of my better articles. Thats just my two cents

I really appreciate those 2 cents, too! I have been exploring the possibility of venturing to other writing arenas. But I haven't "landed" on one I like. (Very much like that fly trying to find a comfortable resting place without getting swatted.)

6. Christy Kirwan profile image90
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Remember that writing is a mentally and emotionally intensive task; especially writing about topics you care deeply about. It's normal for writers to get fatigued or run out of ideas, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Also keep in mind that it's perfectly ok to let your Hubs hang out here while you spend your time elsewhere for a while; HubPages will be here for you when you're ready to come back.

As others mention, revamping old Hubs, trying out other writing sites in the meantime, or even starting a brand new HubPages account (maybe on a niche you've always wanted to write about but never got around to) can be great motivators as well. Best of luck, and I hope your inspiration returns swiftly.

Thanks ...I'll think about that.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years ago

Money motivates me..when HP/Google pays I'm motivated when they don't..I'm not and generally stop writing.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm that way also. It is like a game for me. Right now my website is doing better, so that is where I'm putting most of my effort. When Hubpages is earning well, then here is where I"m working the most. Right now, I am only editing hubs at Hubpages.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 9 years ago

I've been here four and a half years.  For sure, I've had ups and downs, but right now I am enjoying HP more than ever!

4 years ... wow ... that is something. I will probably write a best-seller long before then.

2. tsmog profile image84

Me too being here just passed 4. Seems it is getting near dinner time or it is time to start to start the day. A decision LOL. I am just enjoying HP now myself. At home or In-house priorities are at the top of the list. Therefore less activity here at HP, yet ahead is more.

4. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

If it's been awhile since you last wrote, you have to decide if you will continue writing or not.

If you want to write but can't seem to get motivated, you need to force the first few hubs out, then after that you will feel more inspired by doing the writing and being proud of what you produce.

If not, take a break. I took a break for a year once from HP and it didn't hurt anything at all!

I guess I am not motivated to write hubs because of how long it is taking me to see anything financial. When clients want me to create something for them I have no problem. I know that they will appreciate it and compensate. Here, it is taking me forever.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

It seems to me that it is okay to put less work into Hubpages so long as you have found another way to meet your needs (e.g. writing practice, expressing yourself, or whatever it is).

I just made a really nice "piece of change" doing a 10 page research paper. It really came at a great time so it has to mean that I can still write--just no real incentive. Perhaps Hub Pages should change their compensation package. At this rate I will have a beard before I get my first $50.

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image73
        csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess, the reason why I enjoy being in HP, is because I don't look at it as a way for me to earn money. I get nicely compensated elsewhere --- from other endeavors. My daughter, who is an ace writer, gets  a decent pay doing freelance work. Hence, I know, that we can earn a good living solely by writing, if we only put our minds into it. I get grocery money doing freelance work. But, I enjoy learning on how to write well in HP.  My one cent... smile

2. tsmog profile image84

Interesting said with a smile :-) I hit the payoff the 1st year of this four year journey I have been on while  not having hit the next. Change is what I can attribute it to. Change within this life I live as well as the changes of life. HP has changed relative to the market of the internet, so one may say the purpose of the internet has changed along with those who have a purpose for the internet.

The advent and phenomenal growth of the 'Smart Phone' has changed the horizon radically. Not even having a Smart Phone I am at a loss of that as a marketing tool. Actually I never really learned the marketing tool of Twitter yet. I really do not address any market place on the web . . . yet. I sought learning over the passed few years as a HP writer. I am looking at all the data and  notes from the last four years this year. Next year is the horizon for me with baby steps along the way.

To capsulize I ventured a great land like that of Kit Carson heading into the wilds seeking the Pacific Ocean. Relative to concept I left the Tri-State area of West Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky near the regions of Daniel Boone, and have barely arrived to Missouri. That is where I am encamped for now. I do short excursions here and there and map the region carefully. Next will be heading again seeking the Pacific Ocean.

6. profile image0
    Engeltaposted 9 years ago

So often I feel devastated and disappointment [especially in times like this when Hubpages is down due to technical issues], and I feel like giving up. Sometimes I am so not inspired that I do not write for weeks. However, for me it works to see my payment's numbers jump up, or a nice comment left somewhere. These kind of things make me want to write more, because I know that are people who enjoy reading my stuff. I can't let those people down. smile

7. LizMac60 profile image81
    LizMac60posted 9 years ago

You have a wonderful portfolio of hubs.  A good rest will work wonders for you I am sure. Take three months off from writing here and you will undoubtedly feel revitalized and ready to amaze us with new things.

Thanks, you are soooo kind!

8. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Jacqueline4390, focus on "process" rather than "product." Re-engage the writing process without any pressure to produce a hub. That's what you did with this forum post. You may surprise yourself with how you can turn this topic alone into a piece you weren't even trying to produce. Just write. If what you write is meant to be a hub, you have the skills to put all of the pieces together and make the hub. If not, it's okay for now. Hang in there.

Thanks ... you always have a good word for me.

9. Uzochukwu Mike profile image79
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

Personlly, whenever I take look at my earnings, I usually feel bad as the CPM keeps decreasing in the recent time.

What I have to say is never to give up. Have faith that in future it will yield better and that will keep you going. If I earn high and my score becomes zero I will not be worried.

Thanks ... appreciate that.

10. wordswithlove profile image67
    wordswithloveposted 9 years ago

Well, Jacqueline, I know I go through such periods, too. I just wallow in misery until it is gone. smile

It's great to know that I am in such good company! You guys ROCK!

11. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

Jacqueline,
    There's been such great advice here.  I've looked at your hubs.  AMAZING!  Topics I love.  I'll just throw in some suggestions along with the other great suggestions already offered.  (I hope I'm not being redundant).

Have you thought of combining, let's say, all the hubs about adult education and making them into an ebook?  As far as I understand and from emailing the hub team, once our hubs have been published here, the hubpages team is not adverse to publishing in different formats.  That's something to think about. You might want to check with them if you're interested in doing that.

Also, I submitted to a Writer's Digest contest recently - some other work besides my hubs.  Of course, I didn't win, but the fee for the contest included a workshop about getting published.  I've decided I need to submit some of my "non-hubby" type of work to magazines. The author conducting the online workshop stated that he kept all his rejections which numbered into the thousands, as I remember.  I think the fact that online publishing was so available and easy a few years back, many of us might have forgotten about submitting to publishing companies the traditional way. I think it's good to "walk and chew gum" - write here and also "there", wherever "there" may be.

I was also refreshed recently by finding, after living here in CA for 10 years, the OC Writers Group. I really don't know what took me so long.  I guess I just never thought of googling a writers group in an effective way.   I can't tell you how wonderful it is to meet with them.  They are very well organized.  I believe just one person started that group.  I felt as if I "found my church" with them, if you know what I mean. Lots of similar interests and camaraderie with real live people (not that we all here aren't), but it's nice to look into someone's eyes once in a while.

When you're finished taking time off "in the Sahara", you'll be back because you know what you do is important! 

Cheers,

Billie

Thanks, Billie - - really loved and appreciated your comments. I can never get enough good encouraging comments from the wonderful writers here. Everyone has been ever so encouraging and helpful and I will definitely look into other avenues to rekindle my flame!

12. trish1048 profile image67
    trish1048posted 8 years ago

Hi all,

I've been a member for seven years, but have not been active for the past two or three years or so.  On a whim, I wondered if I would even remember my password, and so yesterday, I stopped by, and surprise, surprise, I did remember it on the first try.

Whether I'll write more or not remains to be seen.  Right now I'm just trying to get re-acclimated to HP.  I still love to write, so maybe there's hope for me. 

I dropped out when the earnings were becoming slim to none.  Plus, I had hit writer's block, which I let paralyze me for the past few years.  Things in my life have improved so maybe I'll let that be the impetus to get me going again.

It does feel good to be here smile

Jacqueline4390posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your comments and glad you are "back in the saddle." Writing seems to be a passion that many of us try to put down but find ourselves running back to.

13. trish1048 profile image67
    trish1048posted 8 years ago

You're welcome and thank you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)