These lingerie and bikini ads

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (100 posts)
  1. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 9 years ago

I would dislike these lingerie and bikini advertisements showing up on my pages. Can I get them replaced by other descent ads. If yes, how to fix it? Any help and suggestions, please.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Please read this before posting to the Ad Problems forum. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128951

Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, Matthew Meyer. But, I have gone through that link before posting my query as it does not solve my problem.
        And, now I have gone through all these comments below and understand many are in support of my view that these ads are irrelevant if not objectionable. Some others feel, that I am of, (and probable some more of us) as old dated and not fit for this world. It is a personal perspective. I do not complain. Simply removing or changing them may solve my problem. But others will be seeing them.
        (It may sometimes confuse viewers. One day, during last month, I got a comment from one of our hubbers that I write about bikinis!!! When I replied to them that I never imagine of writing on that subject, they removed their comment, but my reply is still there on their thread.)

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It solves your problem because it tells you how to report ads you feel may be inappropriate.

2. profile image0
          Engeltaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think you can try choosing your adverts in the Google Adsense page. If you can't, then you can do nothing about it, because it is Hubpages itself that chooses the adverts based on the Hub you have written, but mostly, based on the adverts that companies in your country have paid to show up in every google, mozilla, or opera page you open. It has nothing to do with your hubs, or your hubpages profile.

2. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

I'm puzzled

Doesn't the recommendation just block what we see - as opposed to blocking what other people see - on our content.

Or does the HQ Team always block ALL the URLs reported by hubbers as tasteless?

What I don't understand is why lingerie and underwear advertisements aren't just blocked period so this problem never ever arises.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think you are thinking of this process.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#unrelatedAds

If you report a problematic ad with the details we request in the forum I shared above and we determine that it does violate our ad policy, we block it for our share of impressions. Authors then need to do the same for their impressions.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128951

There is a forum here with a list we maintain.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/127826

>>What I don't understand is why lingerie and underwear advertisements aren't just blocked period so this problem never ever arises.
      The short answer is that different people are bothered by different ad content, some of which does not violate our ad policies.
      Therefore, it is not possible to block all ads with which anyone might have issue.

1. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree that everyone has a different idea about what is acceptable. Some people seem to be from 1880, or whenever the Victorian era was. And some of us are not.

2. Shades-of-truth profile image81
      Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with "makingamark". HP asks for quality content, then we get ads that are anything but quality!

To NateB11 - I am not from the 1880's or the Victorian era, but I still know what is appropriate, and what is not. A child can tell the difference, but adults seem to have a problem with doing that.

1. frantisek78 profile image78
        frantisek78posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why is a lingerie or bikini ad "inappropriate"? Do you get offended when you see these ads on TV or on other websites or in newspapers too?

3. robhampton profile image92
    robhamptonposted 9 years ago

Hmm, I'd like to see those!  lol

1. maxoxam41 profile image63
      maxoxam41posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Typical answer for <personal attack>. Typical answer for the average man. Typical product of his society....

4. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 9 years ago

[paradigmsearch decides not to post meme on this thread]

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

[Psyche concludes she is less wise than a child]

1. paradigm search profile image54
      paradigm searchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As are we all. big_smile

1. Shades-of-truth profile image81

That, paradigm search, is right!

6. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

If they really are not descent ads then they need to be reported and blocked. Agree!

However, I think ads about lingerie and bikinis would get some pretty good clicks on quality high traffic hubs about lingerie and bikinis. Which would earn money for Hubbers and HubPages.

A lot of descent women wear lingerie and bikinis and shop online.

* There are about 1,830 search results for lingerie hubs.
    * There are about 5,010 search results for bikini hubs.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Haha, any ads referring to bikinis or lingerie would get zero clicks from me!  However, I can imagine there are many guys who would be drawn to such ads without any interest in purchasing them......

roll

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I actually meant that I think women shoppers would most likely be clicking on the lingerie and bikinis ads. I'm not sure if men would or not unless they are shopping for those items as gifts for women, or they are cross dressers. wink

Hard to get a point across in a forum at times.
        Typo: not "descent".
        Rather: "decent".

2. frantisek78 profile image78

A lot of "descent" (sic!) women wear lingerie and bikinis? You say this as if lingerie and bikinis were usually just worn by tramps smile

Oops, that is a typo.
        It should read "decent women".
        Oh my!  smile

7. makingamark profile image70

Providing yet another reason why people remove content from this site so they don't have to be bothered by other people's ideas of what are acceptable adverts for sites which can be visited by children.

+1!

Why would lingerie or bikini ads be damaging to children????

1. profile image0

Good question, especially when it's adult minds that conjure up the perceived naughtiness. 

The mind of a child is normally innocent until corrupted by adults.  IMHO

Yes, this is an excellent point. Look at some societies in Africa and South America where people walk around partially or totally naked, they see nothing sexual in it, it is just the human body and a very big part of who we are.

8. makingamark profile image70

I guess it all depends on whether at the end of the day HubPages wants to provide a site which has the same quality standards as a broadsheet newspaper or delivers the type of images which are common in the lowest common denominator tabloids.

Quality or popular; targeted or scattergun - always a marketing conundrum - but I know which one I prefer!

Mixing up the images for different demographics - leading to offence being taken by many - is why article sites are becoming so much less popular. Particularly as the advertising changes as the better adverts pay to go elsewhere.

I'm moving content to my new websites at the moment and it's a complete and utter joy to see only relevant Adsense on my new site! 

... and guess what I've got on my banned categories on Adsense? wink

I see lingerie ads in my copies of the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.

1. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Must be a UK / USA thing them - we've got tough control on advertising here in the UK

Plus Mums who have ganged up on Rupert Murdoch........ smile

Is it about "control" or is it about a woman in opaque underwear really not being fit to be seen? Children can see as much on the beach.  I am probably your typical middle aged woman and unless the image is crassly sexualised or for an adults-only product I see no problem with showing a gal or guy in knickers.

psycheskinner - I could understand ads featuring lingerie or scantily-clad women - or men - that were on hubs writing about bikinis or underwear. Personally, I do not write about those topics.

Having them appear on hubs about flowers, book reviews, artist materials, or a recipe, are completely inappropriate. Frankly, some of the ads are completely inappropriate.

I prefer not to see them on a site that encourages original, valuable content. There are plenty of other places where those ads might be pertinent, and appreciated.

For the last few years ads have stopped being contextual, because more sales are made by matching the viewers interests -- that covers all ads.

But why should only ads appear that are related to the content of hubs?? They are just ads for stuff companies want to sell, and there is no reason to get upset that they are "inappropriate" to the contents of your hub.

2. Colin Quartermain profile image90
            Colin Quartermainposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@makingamark - have you not seen the latest Marks and Spencer Ad on TV?

YouTube provided some high-quality Marks and Spencer lingerie (etc.) UK / TV ads for anyone to see. Ris·qué!

3. makingamark profile image70

No - it's about the standards which have dropped in terms of what we now see in public.

We're not talking about being on the beach where we well know what we're going to see.

We're talking about whether people need to have their eyes assaulted in day to day life 'not on the beach' by things they don't wish to see. I'd add a number of other things on to that list as I dare say would others.

It's WHY ad blockers are so popular

It's WHY some sites can pick and choose as to the advertisers they take - because they exert rigorous controls over the standard of the adverts they will allow.

Bottom line - do you want your content to be associated with and next to quality and relevant or cheap and irrelevant?

Hear, hear! 

Apologies, also. I just fond a typo in my post above. Was between customers, and in a rush. Too late to edit it, now.

Make that - "Having them appear on hubs about flowers, book reviews, artist materials, or a recipe, IS completely inappropriate. Frankly, some of the ads are completely inappropriate, period."

If you don't want your eyes to be assaulted by things you don't want to see then you would never leave the four walls of your home, and should also not watch TV, read newspapers, use the internet, or venture onto the streets.

4. MarieLB profile image74
            MarieLBposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It seems to me that instead of focusing on the problem presented originally, many are now honing in on what should or should not be acceptable to hubbers in general.  I believe each of us has a right to determine this for him/herself and only Admin can determine what appears on our pages, surely!

9. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

I'm not bothered by the lingerie ads at all, but I am a bit annoyed that the ads so often match the content so poorly.

10. Richard-H profile image83
    Richard-Hposted 9 years ago

Think yourselves lucky - I have Oprah Winfrey sniveling all over my hubs (and they're really not that bad!)

1. MarieLB profile image74

Me too, and it does annoy me so!!

2. colorfulone profile image78

Then, there are the sniveling Ellen Degeneres ads.

11. makingamark profile image70

For the record the lingerie advert was pulled very fast - I gather it backfired and got rather a lot of complaints. Here's one example.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic … y-bus.html

12. makingamark profile image70
  13. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I am just baffled as to why a person in their knickers is an eye assault. I can only assume it comes down to some cultural difference. All it ever makes me think is that most of these models looks like they need to eat some cake. Shrug. I am not upset by seeing their skinny little bellies

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree, psycheskinner!
        People in this country are far too hung up on "what children may see."  If children were allowed to 'see more,' there would be far fewer hang-ups, and far fewer problems with sexual crimes due to people acting out over lifelong taboos.  (Just look at the Scandinavian countries for proof!)
        Besides--you see far more skin on many beaches than you see in lingerie ads, for pity sakes!

I don't know about that, DzyMsLizzy. Here in the US, we have an epidemic of sex crimes. It appears nothing is sacred anymore.

P.S. I was not on the beach when I saw the inappropriate ads that are being discussed. I was on my computer, on Hub Pages, and sometimes the ads were on my own hubs.

"makingamark" summed up my feelings, exactly:
        "Bottom line - do you want your content to be associated with and next to quality and relevant or cheap and irrelevant?"

I'll opt for quality and relevant.

It is any wonder than Hub Pages does not seem to be where millions are turning for quality content?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
          DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Exactly--it is a problem here in the US--you transposed my comment.  I was not saying it was not--I was saying it is not a problem in Scandinavian countries, because people are not so hung-up on 'what may be seen.'  They are accustomed to seeing various stages of dress and undress from an early age--even have co-ed dressing rooms.

Try looking at statistics before alleging something is "not a problem"

According to this site the rape rate in Sweden is twice that of the USA
            http://www.nationmaster.com/country-inf … ates/Crime

Why do you think that might be?

1. Colin Quartermain profile image90
              Colin Quartermainposted 9 years agoin reply to this

are we now equating lingerie and bikini adverts with rape?

No - just pointing out that statistics suggest that the approach to nudity in Sweden might not be without consequences.

Actions lead to consequences.

An example of another consequence. Adverts that people don't like to lead to people removing content from sites where their views are ignored.

HubPages can have whatever policy they like - it doesn't mean that people will like it. However HubPages won't ever review the policy and certainly won't ever change it unless people make their views known. 

I think that was the point the original poster was trying to make and that a number of people supported.

makingamark,
                  In regards to what you said above:
                  "Adverts that people don't like to lead to people removing content from sites where their views are ignored."

True. In addition, adverts that people don't like, also applies to what readers might find objectionable. I have left many a page on the web that had information which was interesting to me, but ads that were "seamy". I decided to find the information, elsewhere.

2. MarieLB profile image74

Thank you Makingamark.  I could not have said it better.

2. profile image0

Personally no, but surely advertisers are using sensuality of the mind, both the male and the female mind,  to attract buyers.

You are really too much. You are equating lingerie and bikini ads with rape? Please, try to find a more useful hobby other than getting on your very high horse and making correlations that are absolutely ridiculous. I can tell you that in Scandinavia it is perfectly safe for women of all ages to walk the streets of even the bigger cities at all times of night without fear. Small children go to school alone and parents don't have to worry about anything happening to them. Try doing these things in the US.

But I guess having children watch TV shows and films with constant gun violence is fine and not nearly as damaging as allowing them to see the human body?

Another example of consequences - treat make guns and violence as a normal part of society and that's what you get.

My preference is for societies where guns are not allowed and adverts that don't objectify women's bodies.

Thankfully I live in one where groups of women taking a stand and boycotting supermarkets leads to changes in the magazines on show and what gets displayed on shelves.

1. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's nice, isn't it, when you live somewhere where you are able to force your personal values onto others?  At least as long as you are the enforcer rather than the "enforcee"...

2. Shades-of-truth profile image81

Ah, makingamark - I am glad we are allowed to bear arms. We own a fine jewelry store, and we are armed. I am very thankful we are allowed to be.

In the US, if bearing arms was banned, the criminals wouldn't care. They would still have them, and use them against an unarmed public.

I am "with you" about the ads, but I intend to keep all of my guns.

3. frantisek78 profile image78

Just because you find lingerie and bikini ads offensive doesn't mean all women do. Many women actually like buying magazines where they can see the new trends and fashions etc. Boycotting such stores and trying to make all women think like you smacks of an authoritarian personality. Not all women feel like they are being objectified, as you say. It's funny how you never see men complaining about underwear and cologne ads which feature well built models even though one could argue that men are being "objectified" in such ads as well. Most men obviously don't look like the models used in these ads, but it seems men can understand that companies would not be able to sell as much product if they featured balding, beer-bellied middle aged men. The same applies to ads featuring women. People want to see idealized versions of humans that they can strive to become in many cases. It is up to the individual to determine how seriously they take such ads.

With all due respect, frantisek78, some of the ads that I saw cropping up on Hub Pages' hubs looked like an ad for the red light district. It was not merely a photo of a woman in a bikini, or in her underwear.

There are degrees of what is appropriate, and what is not. Frankly, my husband objects to seeing photos of muscle-bound men in their underwear. We all have different standards, that is true, but it would be nice to see a modicum of modesty on Hub Pages.

Again, to accompany quality content, which is what HP wants, there should be quality advertisements.

What do you mean by a "modicum of modesty"? Obviously sex sells, and I am sure there are a lot of people who click on the ads that show up, otherwise they wouldn't bother with it. You are trying to make this into a question of "morality", when in fact this is all a business venture meant to make money. As long as there is money in it people and advertisers will continue doing it.

2. firstcookbooklady profile image84
                firstcookbookladyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well. We all know that if someone is wearing a bra and underwear, they are considered immoral. But, change the fabric and add water in an large enclosed area, and VOILA, you have a swimming suit, that LOOKS the same, covers as much and the only thing that changes is the viewpoint. No one in their right mind would question a swimming suit, but everyone questions underwear. I think it's dumb. I hate wearing lingerie. It's scratchy and I welcome the opportunity to take it off and get into something more comfortable. I am married. April 13 is my 30 year anniversary. I don't feel comfortable wearing a swimming suit and I don't like to swim. Most bras don't fit well, and underwear isn't always what it's cracked up to be. Thongs are not my idea of comfort... and a 23 year year old propositioning a 63 year old man is not normal, but, you don't know if you are dealing with a guy, posing as a girl, and they don't know if you are a 63 year old guy or a 13 year old...

14. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 9 years ago

I am amazed I still haven't posted a picture here...

I am amazed, too - and for once, glad about it.

1. paradigm search profile image54
        paradigm searchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

lol

15. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

It looks to me like millions are turning to HubPages (on Quantcast).

Last month:
    Uniques: 17,504,448   
    People: 15,918,085   
    Visits: 21,074,200   
    Page Views: 29,433,912

Very good response, colorfulone, but my key words were "quality content".

16. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 9 years ago

Wow, I see them and I don't see them. Perhaps, I should pay more attention to the ads appearing on my hubs. None seem to be bothersome. I must say that I figure, if your mindset had more of a spiritual overtone then those ads should not affect or bother you. They should be for mature audiences. Men, men, men that can maintain control their emotions should be able to see the ads without being bothered unless, the women in lingerie and bikinis arouse them. Rise Above It!

I believe it has more to do with the quality of the hubs on Hub Pages, and appropriate advertisements. The ads in question have appeared on recipe hubs, hubs about flowers, how-to hubs, etc. I have not encountered any on lingerie or bikini hubs, but then, I haven't read any hubs of that nature.

So what? Who says the ads have to have anything to do with the content of the actual hubs they appear on?

frantisek78,

My comment above had to do with the fact that I read on the forums, quite awhile ago, that often the ads are relevant to things that interest us, or items we have recently searched for online.

That is why it seems so strange to see some of the ads in question, on recipe hubs, or hubs about rearing children, etc.

1. Susana S profile image92
            Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ads are also targeted geographically, by interests (determined by what you've searched for and sites you've visited) and by website.

1. jodijoyous profile image60
              jodijoyousposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, I think it's just hyper-focused on certain subjects, regardless of the sites you actually visit. I have never gone to a weight loss page in my life. Yet, when I went to look at Titia's delightful lambing season page, there was an ad zeroing in on enormous rolls of fat; it  followed me all the way down the page.

Then there was the ad that kept popping up in the forums; it was promoting retirement, but featured a women in a black bra. What in the world does that have to to do with retirement?

Those sorts of ads must have the highest payout rate, there's no other  rational reason to have them splashed all over the site.

Well said, jodijoyous!

2. makingamark profile image70

I've always felt that type of advert feels like stalking (not literally obviously - but they have that same sense of unwelcome persistence)

If I come across them I leave the site straight away.  I really don't know why people would think they're money-makers....

3. Susana S profile image92
                Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Here's a page that describes all the types of ad targeting available with adwords on the display (content) network.

http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwor … tools.html

Normally you'll get several types of targeting on one page (and this is my experience of ads here on HP).

So one ad may be geographical e.g. I saw an ad for a local gym the other day. Another may be keyword based and match the content of the page. Yet another is based on a site visited previously. Then you get an ad that has been specifically placed on HP by the advertiser. Etc, etc. That's the way it works nowadays.

17. firstcookbooklady profile image84
    firstcookbookladyposted 9 years ago

isn't it trolls that are bothered by tramps on the bridge?

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Or is it goats tramping on the bridge?
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12335527.jpg

Good thing you censored that! smile

18. firstcookbooklady profile image84
    firstcookbookladyposted 9 years ago

I investigated the photo I saw, of some girl in a pink shirt and short shorts, led me to a page for an expose of what a smuck these people can be. It was a SEE what this person did before you met them type of page.

19. stephenteacher profile image70
    stephenteacherposted 9 years ago

Sites that show adsense are not aollowed to have adult content, or content not family friendly. Sure, they fudge on this a little as not everything is perfect.

I see tons of victoria secret ads on TV, on many, many shows. I see ads for
    depends, OAB, ED, etc. I see ads for JC Penney that have girls in swimsuits, bras, whatever.

While browsing yahoo, NYT, etc., I see plenty of ads for a variety of products.

But again, remember that everyone sees different ads than you. It's not as simple to just say  block lingerie ads," as you do it by categories.
    You block one category, perhaps a worse ad will show up. Instead of a lingerie ad, you get a horoscope ad that would offend quite a few people.

Google has done a very good job at making tons of cash from ads. They know how to do it. I say let them choose the ads they show. If advertisers do not get the ROI they want. then they themselves can choose to not show ads here. But that would be a sad day.

1. MarieLB profile image74

To me, nothing is as repulsive as the ad showing a lump of fat in hideous colours.  It is not as if I have ever visited sites to do with losing weight, but there it is on my page.  I have to try and avert my gaze!  I do wish I did not have to see it, but have been too busy otherwise to go research how to get rid of them, so the original post has been helpful to me.!  Now I can follow the links given.

2. csmiravite-blogs profile image72
      csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They show different ads to different people. Google has a way of knowing on what interest us. I used to see ads of men with big biceps and killer smiles about dating sites before. That was a long time ago. Google must have realized that I am an old woman, and prefers to look at watches, cameras, and the stock market --- so those are what I see now. A few of them are about travel and Accountancy. But, I never click those ads, as I have fears of getting into trouble with Adsense.   smile

P.S. I am talking about HP. Other sites have horrible ads,  so I turn on my adblock.

20. csmiravite-blogs profile image72
    csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years ago

I have no problem with my ads since most, if not, all of them are somewhat related to my hub. I would be shock beyond belief, if I see an ad of skimpy clad men and women, romping around, on my "very" staid accounting articles!   big_smile

Not only that. We receive messages from gals to have a chat on this ad places. Too shocking. Even though, it appears solved, one or two of them show up while browsing carelessly at hubpages.

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image72
        csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

21. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

We have to think of the demographics of the site as a whole when it comes to ads.  Advertisers choose sites to target their largest demographics.  According to Quantcast, HP's largest group according to gender is female, aged 25-34.  I'm sure ads are also shown according to interests of specific locations.
    Advertisers can use placement targeting and interest-based ads. 
    While some of the ads may look disgusting, like the tummy fat ads, or some may not like the lingerie ads, they're everywhere.  Beauty/fitness and leisure/hobbies are the two top audience interest topics on HP. 
    I think most viewers are used to the ads placed on pages.  You never know what people are going to click.  At least we don't have those video ads that suddenly open in the middle of content while we're reading and then disappear.  Those are annoying.

Actually if I had to nominate just one advert that's driving my content away from this site (and to one where I get to control the adverts!) it's those absolutely revolting weight loss adverts!  Yeuuch!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree, that is a hideous looking ad!  yikes
        But I'm sure it gets clicks.

2. MarieLB profile image74

Some are boring - wrinkle eraser / Oprah's tears - and some are purely revolting, eg: lumps of bright pink lumps of fat!  I have to keep my eyes averted from those.  Surely such gross pics cannot attract anyone enough to click on them. . . . . .or am I unusually squeamish?  LOL!!

22. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 9 years ago

Some of you are not catching my point. A 63 year old man receiving invitations from ads like " I am 23 year old. Chat with me or play games with me." Is it not absurd? I see such ads also here.These things made me much alarmed and that is why I get much disturbed about them.

1. firstcookbooklady profile image84
      firstcookbookladyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow. I think you need a popup blocker.

Now, they are not here. But I see "403 Forbidden" message on all pages, right on this page also.

2. colorfulone profile image78

I wasn't getting what kind of ads you were referring to. Thank you for clarifying that. Yes, those kind of ads are absurd as you say. I have seen some on HubPages but not for some time. But, then I am good at ignoring ads.

3. makingamark profile image70

That's the sort of advert which should be reported. No way should you be seeing that sort of advert on this site.

23. Easy Exercise profile image85
    Easy Exerciseposted 9 years ago

This post does highlight the need for the author to be able to actively choose the ads they wish to see. What is GREAT about HubPages is we as an author can disable the ads.

Out on Twitter, I don't believe we have that option.

I set up a Twitter account for a church and the ads on their Twitter account, sadly I have no control over.

I wish the Internet had a rule to allow the user to opt out of ads especially if they are not receiving ad income and if they are a non-profit.

Kudos to HubPages for leading the way to allow the authors to disengage advertisements.

All an author needs to do to disengage from the adverts is switch on an Ad Blocker. The fact that more and more people are using them is testament to how offensive and intrusive some advertising is (that's a general point not one specific to HubPages)

However this does not resolve the problem of what visitors to their hubs see - and what perception they have of the credibility of the author as a result.

What would be great is if HubPages allowed people to enjoy the same degree of control over what adverts appear on their hub as they have if they removed the content from HubPages and placed that same content on a completely independent website.  I guarantee the advertising would look completely different.

24. profile image53
    Joan Jposted 9 years ago

I think the admin of the page has rights to post adds which he may think are appropriate or inappropriate. So others shouldn't be offended by his/her choice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)