jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

What actions count as "engagement"?

1. CatherineGiordano profile image93
    CatherineGiordanoposted 18 months ago

If a person does a poll or quiz, votes up or checks other ratings (interesting, beautiful, etc.), rates a recipe, or writes a comment, I presume that is engagement.

Do any of these below count as engagement?

Click on video link?
    Pins a photo?
    Shares with H+?
    Shares with social media buttons?
    Clicks an amazon or ebay capsule?
    Buys from amazon or ebay after clicking?
    Clicks on a link to a HP website included in the text?
    Clicks on a link to another (non HP) website?
    Clicks on a related hub?
    Clicks on an advertisement?
    Favorite the page?

1. brakel2 profile image87
      brakel2posted 18 months ago in reply to this

Catherine - Your list is simply amazing. You sure can think outside the box - or think with depth, and quickly.

2. PegCole17 profile image90
      PegCole17posted 18 months ago in reply to this

Good question that affects all of us. Bounce time comes to mind reflecting how much time someone spends on our page before moving on.

3. CatherineGiordano profile image93
      CatherineGiordanoposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I'd like to know since hub scores are based on engagement.

4. peachpurple profile image79
      peachpurpleposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I guess all of them are considered as engagement, to encourage your readers to stay longer

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 18 months ago

Engagement can be considered an umbrella term which encapsulates visitor interest or action.  You will find some web marketers redefine what that means very specifically for each client or project, and those people often are more successful.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 18 months ago

Sometimes it is just code for "time spent on page".  It means whatever than person means by it.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image93
      CatherineGiordanoposted 18 months ago in reply to this

psychskinner: I did not consider time spent n a page.  I must add that to the list.

1. janshares profile image88
        jansharesposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I believe you can see average time on a page in Google Analytics.

4. janderson99 profile image85
    janderson99posted 18 months ago

Linger Longer

5. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 18 months ago

Catherine, I think all of the actions you listed could be included in how a user engages with a page.  Whether it's included in how scores are calculated also depends on how much data HP has for a hub.  Many readers don't take time to vote in polls, etc., not because they don't find the hub satisfactory, but because they simply don't want to.  If there's not enough data, the score is reflected more by QAP.

I think engagement starts in the search results.  If the searcher finds a hub listing that looks like it will answer their query perfectly, chances are we get a click and hopefully an engaged reader.  They don't click back to SERP's because they found what they're searching for.  I personally don't think voting in polls makes that much of a difference. 

The first paragraph needs to get their attention enough to want to continue reading.  The summary should have already told them what we're going to cover.  I don't like to repeat it at the beginning, although I know some hubbers do. I don't think there's one 'right' forumula.  We write for our targeted audience which means we have to understand what they want to know and write it in a way that they will consume it satisfactorily. (What do we want them to do/know?)