FIXED: Isolated Hub capsule changes delay from published Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (29 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

When I save an edited a hub, the saves appear in edit mode. But, the changes do not show in the published version. This applies in both Chrome and Mozilla and is not fixed by refreshing. It appears as though the published page is a version behind i.e. it is reflecting what was a saved previously not the latest version. There appears to be a flip-flop between versions.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I was able to reproduce and document this issue and have shared this with our engineering team. Thank you for the report and your continued patience. I will post any update here and sent a reply to your email message as well.

janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

This issue has not been fixed. Clicking 'refresh' displays various versions in 'flip-flop' fashion. There are still differences between the saved version in edit mode, and the published version. It is not possible to edit the text in hubs at the moment. Will this be fixed shortly? The problem appears to be isolated to changes in the text capsule. Other edits may not be affected, including to the title and heading of the text capsule. Thanks

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70

We just deployed a fix for this issue.
      Please make sure to clear your browser cache and restart your browser before checking the current status.
      Please email us if you have any further questions and thanks for your patience!

team@hubpages.com

Three Cheers!
        Its fixed now!
        Thanks for all the team effort. Much relieved!

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have had numerous problems with the editing tool this past week or so.  Photos or upgraded photos disappear, words disappear, text and photos are not holding their places, etc.

It has been maddening because it takes me five times as long to edit a hub than it normally would.  I'm glad you reported this, and I hope the problem gets fixed soon.

I did refresh my Chrome browser last night, and today it seems better, but I still think this needs to be looked into and taken care of.

4. Matthew Meyer profile image70

Just wanted to update and let you know I passed the additional information you provided yesterday on to our engineering team and they are looking into the issue further.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 8 years ago

I'm not having this problem. Yesterday I made text modifications to several hubs. Since I just saw this thread, I checked on them. They all show the edit changes I made in the published version.

I also just made a change to text just now and saved it. The published version is correct.

I am still having problems. Most of my edits are not reflected in the published pages. I am annoyed that this KNOWN problem has not been fixed by now. Perhaps its affecting some authors, but no others. Perhaps others could check if the problem is affecting them.

1. paradigm search profile image53
        paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I just wanted to mention I've been seeing this problem for over a year! But I had always thought it was just a faulty memory on my part. Thank you, janderson99, for letting me know I am still sane. Well, reasonably so anyway. big_smile

3. janderson99 profile image53

Testing show that the problem affects some hubs and not others. More recent hubs appear to be unaffected. For older ones the edits are not shown on the published page, although the edits appear in edit mode and are saved there.

1. missolive profile image60
      missoliveposted 8 years agoin reply to this

janderson99, I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue. You are right, it does not seem to be affecting everyone. I just wanted to chime in and share that I have just edited multiple hubs that were originally published in 2011 and all of my edits were completed; they are evident in the published mode. Just in case it matters, I'm using a MAC and Safari.

I hope this problem gets resolved for you. Editing isn't exactly fun and to not see your edits published must be extremely aggravating.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. As I had mentioned earlier, I am not have those problems.  Now the plot thickens, because I also had made my changes on a Mac with Safari. I wonder if this problem is only happening with some other browser or OS.

Jandeson99, what are you using? Can you test on a different system?

Matthew, what were you using when you reproduced the problem.

I use Linux - Same problem with both Mozilla and Chrome - cache cleared etc.
          The problem may be with large hubs with lots of images and tables. But I need to hear from HP before doing more testing. Annoyed that it is taking so long.

I didn't have a problem with editing a large hub with lots of various types of capsules.

So far the results in this thread are pointing to a problem with Mozilla and Chrome, while two of us with Safari on a Mac have no problems. But with so few responses here, this is not a scientific study.

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years ago

Matthew - in case you're still checking this thread - several times in recent weeks, when I try to edit a capsule none of the text appears in the edit box.  I have to attempt it several times before the capsule appears in its entirety & lets me edit.  Guess I should double check to see if the edits 'take' after I save them.

Anyway - I thought you might want to know of it. I'm usually in Chrome, and it's been updated at my end.

Thanks!

If you have a current example Hub to share that s having this issue, please do so via an email to team@hubpages.com

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Matthew - Nothing current, since in each instance, I either gave up or kept trying until the text loaded, but I'll try to take a screen shot if it happens again, and I will notify you of the hub. It's happened several times, so it wasn't just a fluke.

When this happens, the 'box' for the capsule loads, but there's nothing in the large section where the text should appear. The original text is still there after you get out of the edit mode on the capsule, so that's good. The first time it happened, I was afraid I'd lost an entire capsule of text.

5. janderson99 profile image53

The problem remains. It appears that changes in text box capsules and image captions are not displaying on the published pages, even though they are faithfully saved in the edit mode.

I had also changed captions in images and those changes show up in the published version too. Once again, I made the changes on a Mac with Safari, which does not seem to have that problem.

The fact that Mathew "was able to reproduce and document this issue and have shared this with our engineering team." suggests that the problem lies within the HP system. I guess there will be a response and fix from HP after the week-end.

In a previous post I left above I had asked Matt what browser he was using, I am sure he will chime in when he's back after the weekend. We don't know yet where the problem is. I find it interesting that the problem does not seem to happen on Apple devices.

The information I have so far does not suggest it is related to the browser used, but an issue with a small subset of Hubs.

6. janderson99 profile image53

It may be a timing issue. The edits appear in the published page after a few hours, but not immediately. Some never appear.

My edits appear immediately when I save and examine the published version.

I wonder if your computer is caching the old version and the cache clears after a few hours. Do you have a second computer you can check your edits on after your save? Just to see if the edits show up there?

Matt confirmed the problem showed on his computer => KNOWN issue. It applies to both Chrome and Mozilla on my computer after cache cleared etc. I await a response from HP.

I know that. But he didn't say what we was using. We are still waiting for that. So far, with the few responses we have here, the problem is not happening on Apple related systems. I also tried editing hubs on my iPad and no problem there either.  I also await a response from HP.

7. janderson99 profile image53

UPDATE/CONCLUSION: After a lot of emails and tests it appears that

There is a delay related to cache and how the servers are setup.

This means that it may take up to 1 hour before the changes, made and saved in the edit version, are reflected on the published page. It seems to affect some pages but not all. Mostly the changes are reflected immediately.

I don't understand why this delay should occur??? It seems to mostly affect text in the text capsule. Delays can also occur if you add another image to some hubs. No one else seems to be affected by this (why me?). But it is good to know that waiting a while fixes things. Patience is a virtue! Cheers. Whew - glad that is over! Down scope!

I've added new images to old hubs several times in the past week. They appear in the published version immediately.  And changes to the first image in a hub appear on the profile listing immediately as well.

Strange that you have a delay even after this was fixed. Hope that clears up for you.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)