jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: Cowboy Up!

1. DeonPollett profile image81
    DeonPollettposted 18 months ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Cowboy Up!. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. GizSleep profile image83
      GizSleepposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I quite enjoyed the read and was happy to see the horse looking well! Perhaps increasing the amount of text would help to improve your score as the text to image ratio seems slightly small. As I said though, a good read.

2. SheilaMilne profile image88
      SheilaMilneposted 18 months ago in reply to this

You have 20 or so links to Urban Dictionary but, apart from a couple of exceptions, you aren't supposed to have more than two to other domains.

3. M Asif Jameel profile image30
      M Asif Jameelposted 18 months ago in reply to this

You have very little text, too many synonyms links from urban dictionary and the pixelated image, include more text, remove the links, write the synonyms in your own words if you so wish and remove or replace the image.

2. Sharp Points profile image95
    Sharp Pointsposted 18 months ago

You describe those Urban Dictionary links as synonyms but I believe they are just terms they found to be related to or sort of relevant to that topic, with a bit of filler sprinkled in. You do not need all of those links like SheilaMilne mentioned.

3. SmartAndFun profile image91
    SmartAndFunposted 18 months ago

I agree there are way too many links. You don't need all those links to the Urban Dictionary. Leave the list of synonyms in if you want, but do not make them links.

Also, the photo of the boy looks pixelated.

IMHO, your article reads like a short blog post advertising your shirt business rather than a magazine article. (I have seen where HP admin asks writers to think think of Hubs as magazine articles rather than blog posts.) Additionally, the article lacks focus -- there's all the Urban Dictionary terms, a mention of ISIS, your shirt business and a horse rescue.

I think in order for this article to pass the QAP, you need to focus on one topic and add more useful information. It is great that you are using your shirt business to help rescue horses. Perhaps you could turn your hub into an article about the plight of these horses, the people who rescue them, what is involved, how many horses they care for each month, how much it costs, why the horses become abandoned, where they go once they regain their health, etc. Then at the end, you could add in a short blurb about supporting the rescue efforts with your shirt business if HP would allow it -- but the main focus of your article needs to be something other than your shirt business. Advertising your business here is considered being overly promotional, which is a no-no. Also, a new title would be helpful -- one that lets readers know exactly what the focus of the article is. "Cowboy Up" is very vague.

Another option would be to focus your article on the phrase "cowboy up," as you have done already at the beginning of the hub, but go deeper into the meaning and origin of the phrase, explaining the synonyms in more detail and what the subtle differences are between the phrase "cowboy up" and the synonym phrases. If you go this direction, I don't see what the horse rescue organization or the shirt business has to do with your article. I would take that information out and make it a separate article.

If you'd like to join "Cowboy Up" and the horse rescue together in one article, perhaps you could title it something like "Cowboy Up: How Safe Haven Horse Ranch Rescues Abandoned and Abused Horses." You could start with a short definition of the term "cowboy up" and then go into detail about the horse ranch operation and why what they do meets the definition of the term.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head... mainly you just need to focus on one main idea and add lots of detailed information about your main idea.