jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

advertising my other blogs

1. marisuewrites profile image60
    marisuewritesposted 8 years ago

Is it proper to do a hub that talks about my other sites....and gives links to them?  Say, at least 10?  or more?

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago in reply to this

It would be interesting to see what Maddie thinks about this, but I believe that, so long as you link to each site once only, you wouldn't fall foul of any "overly promotional" rules.

Several people have written Hubs like this with links to all their other Hubs - a kind of directory of their work. Doing the same thing for your blogs isn't much different, really.

1. marisuewrites profile image60
        marisuewritesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

thankyou Marisa, I did it and it worked out well, so far.  smile)  thanks !!

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

LOL I just noticed how similar your names sound ladies smile

Before Maddie comes - the general rule is not more than two links to the same domain per hub. Now, there is another soft rule that states that consistent linking to the same domain(s) across many hubs is overly promotional too - but I think with your 166 hubs Marisue you don't risk to get there any time soon smile

However, hubs written with the sole purpose of promoting other sites are considered overly promotional too, so you need to just write a series of general articles that do have links to your hubs, that's it smile

1. agvulpes profile image89
      agvulpesposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I think Misha has got this pretty right. The whole idea is to entice your visitors to stay on your Hubs and click on the ads in your Hubs so that both you and Hubpages make some money.
      Maddie if I am wrong please set me straight?

3. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

I was thinking a bit more about this.

Like I said, several Hubbers have written a "Hub of Hubs", like a directory of their Hubs organised the way they want it (as opposed to the automatic categorising that happens on your profile). 

What Marisue is suggesting is a Hub which acts as a directory to all her other work, not her Hubs - i.e. blogs and websites etc. A kind of writer's profile, if you like.  She's not expecting it to make money.

Since there's no way it would be a money-making Hub, why not create your profile somewhere else that won't tag you as "overly promotional"? 

You could create a Blogger or Wordpress.com blog using your own name or alias as the site name.  Or how about a Squidoo lens? 

I don't recommend you write articles at Helium, but if you sign up, you get access to an area called Betaville where you can create a public writer's profile, with links to all your other work.

4. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 8 years ago

I think it's generally more effective, from an SEO perspective, to link to write hubs addressing similar topics to each of your sites, and like to the relevant sites/blogs on each separate hub, respectively.

As far as the hard-and-fast rules go, however, you wouldn't be in violation if you provided original content (ie, text that isn't found on yours or anyone else's sites) and linked only once or twice to each domain, but as I said above, I think a hub just about "my other sites," wouldn't actually be worth the time and effort.  As Marisa states above, an appropriate place to list your other sites is in your profile, as that's the place people who want to know more about you will look.  I don't think a hub on the subject would garner much traffic (and therefore, click-through to your sites) or pagerank (and therefore, backlink value for your sites).

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I've found that a good strategy - however, I'm thinking Marisue just feels like having a place showing off her "Collected Works" for the sake of it!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
        Maddie Ruudposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Yes, and I agree that the right place for that is your profile page.

working