jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Why are comments sometimes automatically marked unapproved?

1. Aya Katz profile image90
    Aya Katzposted 7 years ago

Recently someone posted a comment to one of my hubs, but instead of notifying me of this, Hubpages marked the comment "unapproved", and the only reason I found out about it was that I saw this on Hubtivity. The comment disagreed with my hub, but it did so politely, and it was not offensive, and there were no links, so it did not fit the profile of a spam message. I had to go in by hand and mark it "not spam", before I responded to it.

Has anyone else had this experience? What causes it?

2. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

The systems tries to make your life easier and automatically unapproves comments it deems spam. Usually short generic comments like "good hub" trigger it, especially if a hubber makes a series of such comments on several hubs.

1. 0
      SirDentposted 7 years ago in reply to this

This is a good answer.

3. Aya Katz profile image90
    Aya Katzposted 7 years ago

Yes, I understand about short generic comments, but this one had substance. It was about someone trying to make a mountain lion live on a vegetarian diet, and it related to my hub, so I'm still baffled.

4. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 7 years ago

If you leave a lot of the same comments on many hubs, or if the majority of your fellow hub authors mark your comments as "spam" the system will then classify you as a spammer and automatically "unapprove" your comments, even if you do make a random, original and valid one from time to time.

1. Aya Katz profile image90
      Aya Katzposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I see. So this particular commentator may have had a history of spamming.