jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Helpful article - What the Internet thinks about

1. Tigrest profile image90
    Tigrestposted 18 months ago

For everyone wondering what topics to write about - here is an interesting article that might be helpful and give some answers:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/17/what- … nks-about/

According to the author, the secret to getting most views is:
    - Large number of likes and shares
    - Written about idea, not event or person
    - A lot of comments
    - Not a video or picture gallery
    - Written in the past 5 years

What do you think - could it be the secret to getting more traffic everyone is so crazy about?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, especially from experienced hubbers.

1. Suzanne Day profile image97
      Suzanne Dayposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Good article and well worth a read. However the parenting thing is a weird animal, I have a couple of hubs on that subject and they are among my lowest trafficked, probably due to competition. I do think that hubs with interesting personal elements and concepts are quite good performers though.

2. csmiravite-blogs profile image87
      csmiravite-blogsposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I write about subject matters that I am credible. Or as what others say, as being in authority. I never like writing about stuff merely for the traffic. I may get tons of money, but I will never be happy with it. Probably, it's picking the right Google-friendly subject  matter on a topic that I am of authority. My one cent... smile

2. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 18 months ago

The articles all appear to be those that have gone "viral" on social media rather than articles that are being found day after day through search...

Cause and effect needs to be considered when you look at what the linked article has to say - did the pages become shared because they have a lot of comments? Probably not - they have a lot of comments because they got shared a lot... Did having a large number of likes and shares make them popular or did they get a large number of likes and shares because they were just well written about topics that people wanted to read and share?

Each of the articles is from a magazine/paper/site that is very well known, probably each has tens if not hundreds of thousands of subscribers to kick start the social sharing.... Something that most of us just don't have to help us get that boost for our HP articles lol

It would be better if someone actually looked at each individual article and said what it is about them that made them so good - because I bet it is nothing to do with hash tags, keywords, links, or any other SEO related thing - they are probably just very well written articles that people actually want to read that have been put where many many many people can see them......

3. Barbara Kay profile image86
    Barbara Kayposted 18 months ago

I found her words to make more sense when she said writing should be "personal, helpful and entertaining and in that order."