jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)

Filtering Hub summaries (again)

1. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Please do something to the filters so that Hub summaries as graphically-cluttered as the below can be found.  This can't be helping.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12356808_f1024.jpg

1. Matthew Meyer profile image79
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for bringing this up.
      We discussed this today and are going to do some additional research to see how prevalent such summaries are.
      Please share the Hub with that summary via email to team@hubpages.com

1. Writer Fox profile image78
        Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

While you are looking at the Summary, HP needs to change the limit from 200 characters to 157 characters (including spaces and adjusting for number of capital letters used), in keeping with what Google will actually display on SERPs. Since this is coded as the Description Tag, it is a critical element of SEO.

1. flycatcherrr profile image86
          flycatcherrrposted 2 years ago in reply to this

+1
          200 characters seems a tad arbitrary - but I must admit I haven't delved. Perhaps there's a search engine or social network (more important to HP traffic than Google) that's designed to use this length of excerpt / description?

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
            Jean Bakulaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If I wrote a "summary" like that, I'm sure I would have the hub unfeatured and be told it was self serving spam, directed to selling to my audience.

1. Writer Fox profile image78
              Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The purpose of a Description Tag IS to sell your audience; it is to sell your audience to click through from a SERP to your webpage (Hub) and see your content. It is also to tell Google exactly what the webpage is about.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
                Jean Bakulaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi Writer Fox,
                I understand. I just had a whole slew of hubs that I thought were unfairly not featured after they were featured since that began, and was told that some long hubs with only one or two Amazon capsules were spammy. Then I began a new blog, and although links aren't active, put the address in my profile, and had trouble with that too. So it's hard to find a balance between getting attention to your work, and following draconian rules.

But I seem to have found it, the hubs are featured again. I never have trouble with the summaries.

2. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'd give you an exact help ticket number to go find my report, but efficiency and accountability in HubPages customer service appears to still be a lesser focus of technological investment.

It's somewhere in your queue of flagged Hubs from three days ago.

3. colorfulone profile image89
        colorfuloneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Matt, I just sent you an email with a link to the hub relache is referring to.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image79
          Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you. I passed that info on to the team looking into this issue.

2. Writer Fox profile image78
    Writer Foxposted 2 years ago

Take a look at yesterday's HOTD/Editor's Choice Hub 'How to Draw Tangerines with Colored Pencils' and notice the Summary.  That's what happens when the author doesn't write a Summary and the first sentences of the Hub are used instead. Imagine what Google thinks about that Description Tag!
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12356890.png

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image84
      csmiravite-blogsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

big_smile  I better go over my work...

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I thought directing people to credit you or spread the word about your hub was against the TOS.  This is one of the worst summaries I have seen and no matter how good the article does not, in my opinion, deserve any type of accolade.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

There's nothing in the TOS that prohibits you from asking readers to credit you if they copy contents of your hub.  If you would bother to actually look at the hub, you will see that the author did not purposely put that in his summary; that text is the caption under his first image.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Draw-Tan … ed-Pencils

It's the fault of HP for automatically grabbing the first lines of text to fill in the description when the summary box is left empty.  In this case, the first lines of text happened to be a caption.

3. colorfulone profile image89
    colorfuloneposted 2 years ago

It is BLING?

4. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

I am extremely curious to know why admin made that change (maybe two years now) where the HubPages system was switched so that we as users all get alerted to fill in summaries but then no part of the filtering or QA process reviews that written text.

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 2 years ago

Related to this issue, QAP should include a review of the summary - that is one of the key areas for discovering spun or copied content.

The QAP process should include a review of the profile text as well (I know, QAP is supposed to be anonymous, but that might be counter productive. If a Hubber has an empty profile, that is a red flag. If the profile is illiterate, then they should not be allowed to publish on the site - that should be an automatic restriction. Anyone who cannot write a profile surely cannot write hubs.

Back to the summaries - when we use the Hopper, it doesn't show the summary. Far too many hubs get through QAP with serious spelling errors or grammar deficiencies (not to mention examples such as Relache posted).

BUT - what a surprise - some of these hubs have outstanding writing, worthy of textbooks!  Gosh, I wonder where they suddenly learned how to write, and why they can't manage a 150-word summary or (often) a decent profile?

working