HubPages Social Media Manager Job Posting With High Earnings

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (133 posts)
  1. easylearningweb profile image85
    easylearningwebposted 9 years ago

I have doing some personal job searching and today I came across what looks like a legitimate job posting for a position through HubPages, which I was very excited to see since it mentioned you can earn several thousand dollars a month. When I clicked Apply, it redirected me to the HubPages Signup page. I've attached screen prints below. So what is this, just an advertisement for HubPages? I also found a bunch of other listings and the title was different but the job description was the same. For those of us who are already HubPage writers, are we missing something?

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12371425.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12371426.jpg

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That seems a little deceptive to me.  It is an ad soliciting writers for HubPages under the jog description: "Internet Blogger -Paid to Manage your own Blog- Social Media Manager"

You can find some of those ads here:
      http://goo.gl/NATMGU

easylearningwebposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Writer Fox:

Exactly, and wow, it looks like there are many, many postings, and some other different titles. I just found the same listings in different states, see image below. The confusing part is in the 3rd paragraph, did you notice this sentence: "Earnings range up to several thousand dollars per month, entirely dependent on how well-written, useful, and relevant Hubs are to readers." Is anyone out there making thousands of dollars per month? I'm always hoping for higher earnings, and if it was this high, I think then all of us would quite our day job and retire early!

So do you think this is bogus posted from 3rd party or actually HubPages just doing advertising?

What do others think? I can understand the need to advertise HubPages, but why the mention about the thousands of dollars per month, when most of us are earning .25, .50 or $1.00 a day?
        http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12371462.jpg

2. SandyMertens profile image76
        SandyMertensposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It does seem like false advertising. I did check it out. Looks so legit. Hopefully it will be short lived.

2. Valerie P Davis profile image74
      Valerie P Davisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No doubt it's somebody's referral link. Probably conflicts with the terms and will be short-lived.

Referral link? The thing is if you click Apply, it just goes to the main signup page though. Also, it's pretty widespread. False advertising?

It's not from a referral link.  HP is posting those ads. HP used to advertise for bloggers and that's how we get all the new people who write blog posts instead of Hubs.  Now we are going to get 'socialites' who think they should write Hubs which look like Facebook posts.

I agree with you, Writer Fox, that I don't think it's a Referral link. If it's advertising by HP, why the statement about earning thousands of dollars per month, which I think is false advertising, don't you? HubPages isn't a full-time job, it's a nice community of writers and we can make a little commission. Unless I am missing something? Maybe HP can explain more to all of us how we can increase our earning potential.

The HP staff member who posted those ads is probably make 'thousands of dollars per month.' lol

Maybe. Hey, we want a piece of the gold, too. ;-)

2. susi10 profile image95
                susi10posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha! lol
                So true!

1. Uzochukwu Mike profile image79
                  Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I  think I agree with Davis that it is hubber's referral link.

Referral links take you to the signup page.  That's why this isn't a referral link.  HP has done this before advertising for bloggers.

2. paradigm search profile image55
            paradigm searchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If HP doesn't deny it by the end of the week, then I guess I'll have to believe you. Until then, I'm going with 3rd parties somehow sticking a referral link in those ID codes. smile

Click on some of these links and tell me if you see a referral code: http://goo.gl/NATMGU

1. paradigm search profile image55

True; when I hovered them, nary an "_xyz" to be found. But the user-unique ID's that do show could very well execute a hidden batch file that does have the referral link. Only goo.gl short-URL and monster.com ad-placer experts know for sure... smile

However, if HP Staff doesn't fall on you like a ton of bricks; then I'll believe you. big_smile lol big_smile

The plot thickens!

Maybe a HP team member will chime in and explain to us to clear this up.

1. paradigm search profile image55

I hope so, this is indeed kind of serious.

2. NateB11 profile image88
                NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

3. easylearningweb profile image85

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I should go right to HP to inquire. I'm guessing the team may not know, but the Advertising director might? Again, I just feel like it's a bit deceitful.

2. Lady Lorelei profile image85
        Lady Loreleiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had seen ads for Hubpages popping up on Facebook but never clicked on them. I just presumed the ads were from Hubpages advertising for new writers.

If they were just ads, I could understand, but the main positing is so deceiving that I was convinced that I might have a job lead for an actual position at HubPages. It's the part that says earnings could be in the thousands of dollars per month. It makes me wonder that if one of our hubs went viral, I wonder how much income would be earned?

1. Solaras profile image93
            Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Assuming a CPM of $5.00 you would earn $3000.00 for every million views.

Ad income is based upon number of impressions (HP Ad Program) or clicks (AdSense) during your 60% share of the time, not upon number of page views.

This was an average (impressions/clicks per 1000 views) and adjusted for 60%

3. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have suspected all along that this posting is a scam.

You might wish to refer it to this site:   http://inside.monster.com/security-center/home.aspx

From my searches, Monster seems to be a legitimate concern, possible the on-line form of Franchise, i.e., there might be off-shoot business in numerous countries/states, all using the franchise labeling. 

However, the posting here in HubPages is obviously a way-out wishful thinking if you imagine getting that sort of income per month.

Personally, it stinks.   But then, I could be wrong.  If in doubt, doubt it until proven otherwise..... and steer clear of giving them any personal information.

Interesting article about the Monster.com security, jonnycomelately. I agree that one shouldn't expect to earn that amount of income.

I love HP because it's a great community of writers, and most of us just love to write, and this is a great way to share articles, network with others and be creative. We could even add our HP articles to our writing portfolio too. If there's a little commission here and there, to me, that's an added bonus. :-)

4. Christy Kirwan profile image93
        Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi easylearningweb,

This is indeed a HubPages-sponsored ad. These ads were originally created several years ago, and because of the nature of our contracts with Monster, can not easily be changed or updated within the contract period. However, our contract with Monster is about to expire, and it is likely that we will not be renewing these postings. Part of the reason we have chosen not to do so is because some of the wording no longer accurately reflects the current reality of writing on HubPages.

"Part of the reason we have chosen not to do so is because some of the wording no longer accurately reflects the current reality of writing on HubPages."

Hi Christy:
          Does this mean that no one is earning in the thousands per month here?

Christy - can you also clarify this for me. Do we earn on page views or only clicks in the HP Ad program?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image93

Some ads pay per click (CPC), while others pay for impressions (RPM). The way it usually works (but not always) is that text ads are CPC while image ads are RPM. Since Hubs contain both types of ads, you are usually earning both ways. smile

Thanks for this info, Kristy!

2. Christy Kirwan profile image93

No, some Hubbers are still earning that much, it just takes a lot longer to get to that point than it used to. smile

Thank you! Hope springs eternal!

2. paradigm search profile image55

Could I have a list of the female, single ones?

LOL

2. NateB11 profile image88
                NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. colorfulone profile image78
              colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am happy for those that are earning a nice income each month on HubPages.
              Anything is possible.

4. easylearningweb profile image85

Wow, that's amazing. I would assume the hubbers who are earning that much have over 1000 hubs which they advertise and share in multiple facets. Thanks.

2. Writer Fox profile image32

That must be an unusual contract since the monster.com site says the choices are 30 days or 60 days for a job posting.

Hi Kristy,

Thank you for your reply to confirm that it is a HP-sponsored ad. I also appreciate you providing an explanation for the wording and how it does not reflect the current writing. Thanks again.

There are still a number of Hubbers on the site earning that much, but it's a lot harder these days, sadly, and many of the Hubbers who do so prefer to keep their info and their earnings private.

I can understand that, Kristy, that hubbers want to keep their info private. I'm glad to hear that some are still very high earners. That shows at least that HP is still booming.

What approximate percentage of hubbers would you say have over 1000 hubs?

I am trying to reach 100 and I'm almost there. I say hats off to anyone that has 1000, that is quite an achievement!

4. Sherry Hewins profile image92
          Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for replying, but I think this ad was never an accurate representation of what it is/was to write on HP. It is not a job, it never was a job.

5. easylearningweb profile image85
        easylearningwebposted 8 years agoin reply to this

For anyone participating in this discussion, I appreciate your insight and comments.

To say thank you, I'm going to pin/share one your hubs on my pinterest account.

If I'm not following you already, I'm a fan, so fan mail is coming.

Have a great day!

6. peachpurple profile image83
        peachpurpleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

i haven't seen this page yet, maybe I am not a good writer so they aren't looking for me.

Hey peachpurple,

I only found this ad because I was job searching for a new full time job. It was all over the place on monster.com.

By the way, you are a very good writer!

Regards.

7. easylearningweb profile image85

Since I have visited monster.com, even though I didn't create a monster profile, it must have grabbed my email because I received this email (see the screen shot below) in my "Promotions" folder on gmail (I love how gmail filters out all those ads).

I was thinking of one thing we can all do as we continue to write and put forth hard work towards building our inventory of hubs. Seeing the ad in monster reminds us that each one of us is a "Social Media Manager" so we could certainly add this ongoing experience on our Linkedin profiles and resumes!

The sentence that I do like from the ad that is a boost on our resumes is this:
        HubPages has been profiled on The Wall Street Journal, CNET (CBS Interactive), TechCrunch, Family Magazine, Entrepreneur Magazine, and Mashable.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12381457.jpg

8. TessSchlesinger profile image61
        TessSchlesingerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've often seen ads for writers for hubpages. Can't remember where now. I think they might advertise on Indeed.com as well. Haven't seen those you've posted, though. I do think it's deceitful. Other people do it as well. I always give them a mouthful. sad

3. C.V.Rajan profile image60
      C.V.Rajanposted 9 years ago

Misleading. Strictly speaking, unethical. Not expected of a firm like Hubpages.

I agree, C.V.Rajan, "if" it is infact HP posting the jobs, I'm a bit surprised (a little shocked too). If it isn't HP posting the jobs, then I hope someone gets to the bottom of it because it is unethical.

4. Thelma Alberts profile image91
      Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

I have no idea about this. I hope the staff will write a comment on this forum for us to know if this advertisement is true or not.

5. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
      Kierstin Gunsbergposted 9 years ago

Soooo has anyone contacted HubPages about this? I definitely don't see making thousands of dollars a month here unless you're spamming the crap out if everyone.

I guess I should contact them directly and see what they say. When I do, I'll share any feedback in this forum.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I did, earlier today, and asked them to please respond on this forum, which they did.

Much has happened over the years that has changed HP, and the days of people being easily able to earn good money here are pretty much gone.

However, I do know that some continue to do well, but you won't hear about them because they stay quiet on the subject, which I think is a smart move on their part.

HP is still a great writing site, and the potential for earning is still here...it's just more elusive!

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I found HubPages through one of those Monster.com ads ....and I just celebrated my 4th anniversary here, so they're obviously nothing new.
      If someone is making a few bucks off of me via a referral link, I wish they'd share the wealth! big_smile

That's interested to hear, FatFreddysCat, I've been with HP for 5 years but I didn't discover HP via a job posting. I remember just seeing an article one day about 5 years ago and I was intrigued and interested in writing for them. I guess they have been around for a long time. Just curious though, when you saw their ad 4 years ago, do you recall if they advertised the possibility of making thousands of dollars a month? I guess anything is possible, but on HP, if that happened, I think it would quite a miracle.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
          Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I responded to a very small ad in my area for online writing for pay. When I went to the url in the ad, it took me to the HP gateway for new signups and explained we were paid based on our own traffic, and that you could earn a 'passive income.' That sounded fair enough.

Everything regarding income was couched in terms of the success stories (Marye Audet and many others), and 'passive income.' The success stories listed several people who had been on the site for a while (it listed the years or months) and were 'averaging' credible amounts each month. But it also listed the totals they'd made so far - which didn't add up to the 'average' amounts given.

What it didn't say was that Google's Panda had hit the site very hard. I learned (the hard way) within the first few months that the 'averages' were no longer sustained and were likely unattainable for most people, even very experienced writers. Mayre Audet even posted a thread on the forum to let people know her income had dropped by about 60% from what it was at the time the "Success Stories" were created.

I realize the term 'up to' is the caveat, and anyone familiar with marketing knows that ploy. As has been mentioned, the ad at first sounds like a staff position - that's troubling. The other troubling thing is that the ratio of people getting anywhere near the 'up to' income mentioned has got to be very tiny.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
          FatFreddysCatposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually now that I think about it, it my wife was the one who first found HubPages' advertisement while skimming thru Monster.com -- she passed it on to me because it sounded like it was something that'd be "up my alley" and I gave it a look out of curiosity.

I had been writing (unpaid) reviews for a friend's music e-zine for a few years at that time, but the 'zine had just closed up shop and I was left with a half dozen or so pieces I'd written for them which hadn't seen the light of day yet... so I figured "what the heck" and posted a couple of them here. The rest is history, as they say.

I no longer remember exactly what the advertisement on Monster.com said about earnings, but if the part about "thousands of dollars a month" was in there, I'm sure I took it with a grain of salt, haha. It didn't take me very long at all to figure out that I was never gonna get rich posting my writings here. I've always treated this site as a hobby/distraction, any money I do make off of it is gravy.

Hey FatFreddysCat, your analogy to "gravy" is how I think of it too. It's a free dinner out once in awhile. Something a little extra, like a bonus to enjoy!

7. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

Here's a link to the landing page of that ad:
      http://jobview.monster.com/Internet-Blo … 0007001001
      Notice that after stating "Earnings range up to several thousand dollars per month", it says:
      "This isn't a job that will fully support you."

Also, check this out: "HubPages also runs popular quarterly writing contests with cash awards."  When was the last time we had one of those?

1. mary615 profile image83
        mary615posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  That ad look super, and is certainly tempting for anyone to apply! At least it's honest when it says it won't fully support you!

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
        Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Right, but isn't that contradictory?  Since it says thousands in the plural, the smallest number would be $2,000.  That means that the least I would make is $24,000 per year.  Sure, some people couldn't live off that, but some of us could. I know I could, at least in the short term.  And especially being a hard worker, would think I could earn more than the smallest amount.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
          SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The two little words "up to" are what make the ad technically correct. "Up to" implies that the starting point is zero, meaning the HubPages blogger/social media manager position pays anywhere from zero dollars "up to" thousands per month. I used to work in advertising, and "up to" was used all the time because it lets advertisers off the hook, while readers tend to focus only the larger number. "Entire store up to 90% off" means you can offer everything in your store at only 1% off, but as long as at least one item is 90% off, then you are technically covered. At the time, (years ago), some states began cracking down on this advertising practice, though, and labeling it deceptive.

Good advertising jargon, I guess. It's true about the "up to" but it's a bit extreme to lure folks in with the "thousands" statement. Maybe this is a sign of things to come, even if it's just a little improvement. For all our hard work, if we can all hit at least "$1.00" a day on a consistent basis that would awesome.

Also notice the location of Houstin, TX, but there are postings for many cities. HP headquarters is actually in San Francisco, CA.

About the contests, yes, I think we all would love to see more monthly (or at least yearly) contests! ;-)

8. Lee Hansen profile image77
      Lee Hansenposted 9 years ago

I've seen writer ads for Hubpages in online and local media for months if not years. I don't pay much attention. I know where and what it is and is not.

9. flycatcherrr profile image68
      flycatcherrrposted 9 years ago

Twitter is loaded with these "job" ads re Hubpages, right now - rather annoying. 
      Certainly this way of posting a signup referral link seems a bit naff, not exactly what the usual description of a "job" would lead one to expect to see - and one does have to question the "pay" level of thousands, no?  Not too classy, at first glance.

I tend to agree, flycatcherrr, rather annoying and not classy.

10. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

This looks like the latest version (more slicked-up) of the ad I responded to more than three years ago.  If HP is publishing this, it's disconcerting. At least the ads three years ago made it clear you were on your own here, but the potential earnings were similarly inflated. Interestingly, the term 'blogger' was not popular back then.

It's misleading to solicit new writers based on 'potential' earnings seen by only a handful of writers here. There are nearly 80,000 members on the site - I would love to know how many make even $100 a month?

I hope HP responds to this thread to clarify things.

Good points, Marcy. $100 a month sounds good. Wouldn't it be lovely if we all put our heads together on how to we could do this? I think to make that much you have to be spending an enormous amount of time advertising your links and figuring out how to make articles go viral.

11. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

No wonder so many people show up on the forums, asking questions about their "blogs" and frustrated (or even angry) that they're earning nothing or just a few cents. I have a new-found patience and understanding for these people who have been enticed to come work here to be "social media managers" and "bloggers."

1. retta719 profile image76
        retta719posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Definitely can't blame them for being angry and frustrated if they responded to these ads sad

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
          SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nope. Or expecting to earn "up to thousands of dollars per month."

2. easylearningweb profile image85

Very true, and if folks do reply based on the part of the ad that claims they can earn thousands of dollars, then they might not be writing because they love it; instead, they might see this as a way to make money, and most of us know that we are here to mostly write. What does Suze Orman say, "People first, then money, then things." I agree, "People first".

12. retta719 profile image76
      retta719posted 9 years ago

Among the many other things already pointed out, it's also posted as an employee position, which it is definitely not....

So much yuck here. Misleading ad copy. Bait and switch. Borderline spam with the number of these ads there are floating around.

I clicked one of the Apply links and didn't see a referral redirect happen in the browser, but it's possible it was lightning fast and a cookie dropped somewhere without me seeing it or maybe they have some stealthy tech I'm not familiar with for redirecting (possibly something blackhat-like in nature....)

If HubPages is posting these ads themselves, it's plain old shady. No other way to say it.

13. Solaras profile image93
      Solarasposted 9 years ago

I think there are several people here making $1000's per month.  Crazyhorsesghost was aiming at making $1000.00 a day.

Some people have individual hubs that get 6000 views a day, or so they have said. If you had 5 hubs like that you might make $2100.00 per month. With 10 hubs like that, you would make approximately $4200.00 a month. And if they are selling products on Amazon as well...

The potential is here.

What's the secret to getting that many hits per day on one hub? Also, who know the answer to this: if you get 100 hit, or 1000 hits on one hub in a day, what is the earnings (just with HP ads)? To do this, I would guess that you have to spend a lot of hours everyday (and not have a full-time day job)?

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
          Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is something in Google rules that you aren't allowed to disclose.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it is about knowing what to write about and doing it well. If you write as many hubs as some of these people do, you could earn in the thousands a month if you also promoted the hubs.

14. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

OK, where do I sign up?

1. colorfulone profile image78

That's what I was going to ask.
        You beat me to it, Mark.

15. Solaras profile image93
      Solarasposted 9 years ago

The military diet hub that went viral is probably earning closer to $5000.00 for the author for every million views, since health and diet topics pay a higher CPM.

My hat is off to those Hubbers that are doing it.

I second the Hats Off to high earners! I saw that Military Diet hub that went viral and it was formatted nicely and had a lot of pictures with captions. I think that hub was tweaked/improved by HP, and I'm not sure if that was before or after it went viral. Is that the case if anyone knows? Also, does anyone know how it went viral and how and what social networking was used (I'm sure many if went viral).

It went viral on Facebook after HubPro editing (but it had more than 10 million views in the seven years before that.)  The author shared the new version on several Facebook groups and it took off from there.

Here are two more Hubs which went viral and got even more traffic:
            http://blog.hubpages.com/2014/01/heres- … on-jersey/
            http://blog.hubpages.com/2013/12/viral- … u-to-know/

That's interesting to know, Writer Fox. And thanks for sharing the 2 other hubs here which went viral. This is very helpful!

I just looked at the one about Diet Coke at McDonald's and this is interesting. It's a short but very interesting hub, with only 2 pictures (and not sources listed). I usually try to make my hubs long (maybe too long) with lots of pics and sources, etc. but this one is not like that. In this case, content is king.

I also just read the hub 10 Things Nurses Don't Want You to Know. It's definitely inside information and something folks would want to share. It is amazing because the author said she just started writing within that last year and didn't do any social networking. And she only has 13 hubs. $5000 in 7 days, wow!

I "LOVE" the viral content tips in the blog, http://blog.hubpages.com/2013/12/viral- … u-to-know/

Also, these viral hubs confirm that some can earn thousands of dollars a month. This forum is helping me learn a lot, especially that all things are possible!

$5000 in 7 days! --- Wow is right.

2. Robin profile image87
            Robinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Here's more information on Carisa's Hub in our blog post.  Like many Hubbers, she was nervous for us to edit her highest traffic Hub, but you can read in the interview how grateful she is that she went through HubPro.

Hi Robin, Thanks for sharing the blog post link. It's packed with awesome, helpful information!

I recently went through all my hubs and did my best to optimize. I even wrote a hub about how to get featured, where I shared my experiences attempting to optimize hubs.

How does one get selected to get edited by a Pro Editor?

2. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"..... health and diet topics pay a higher CPM."
        Ironic - yet more and more people are getting fatter, suffering diabetes, stroke, heart attack, etc.
        You would think so much concentration upon health and diet would be a great benefit for the nation.  But it ain't!   Just more businesses selling more and more useless products.  And how the advertising industry benefits!!!!!

16. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Here's a thread Marye Audet posted a few years ago:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/100672

It's interesting to go through some of the posts and see who's still around & who isn't. It's also sad. I recognize the Internet is a dynamic (meaning, changing) place. 

I could not find the thread where Marye posted her disclaimer about earnings (where she clarified that the $3,800 mentioned in the Success Story about her wasn't current).

For those who don't know of her Marye Audet is a legend here (one of several, probably). She was very active for several years and was able to support herself and her large family through her writing. She's a great person, she helped put this site on the map, and I admire her in every way.

It was on this thread where she was being harassed by a forum troll:
        http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/113290? … ost2410675

Hey Marcy, I must have missed this post. Thanks for the link, I just checked out Marye's hubs, her earnings are amazing. I keep thinking it's all about timing. I wish I had more hubs a couple years ago when things peaked. It's different now, but it's good that we are all still writing and sharing our ideas and success stories. Thanks.

17. Jason Marovich profile image88
      Jason Marovichposted 9 years ago

There isn't anything in the ad that isn't true that I see.  Do you really think that the viral hub that was made public (as per the author's wishes) is the only hub that goes viral round here? smile

18. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

I found Mayre Audet's forum thread on "Transparency."

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/94456#post2015852

19. Emese Fromm profile image89
      Emese Frommposted 9 years ago

I responded to one of those ads about 4 months ago.  However, as soon as I read more about it, I realized what it was, and I was ok with it. Actually I forgot how I got to the site, I was happy for the chance to join. Not because I was hoping to earn a lot of money, but because I read some of the hubs here, and I thought I found something much better than what I expected, I found good, quality writing on the Internet.  I was happy to have a chance to be part of this community of writers. Yes, I think it  may be false advertising in a way, at first sight, but if you read through it, you realize that it is not promising a full time career.  I have to admit, at first I was disappointed that it wasn't a real "job", with real income potential, but I am so happy to be here, to be able to read some of your works, and to be able to contribute.

20. Fiction Teller profile image59
      Fiction Tellerposted 9 years ago

Don't know the history of it all, but it doesn't seem like HubPages. 

For one thing, they've made it clear in the past that the platform is not a blogging platform, and I don't remember their announcing any change about that.

The sidebar on the ad says the job status/type is "Part Time Employee" and then later on admits that's not true - that the posting is for an independent contractor.  That's bait and switch and not in line with HubPages' self-professed values.

In some ways the writing sounds like professional copy (and it's suggestive that they indicate they know the revenue split will never change), and the tone is authoritative, but it's not well-edited, which would be very bizarre, given HubPages' team of editors!

It seems unlikely they'd make so many spelling, writing, capitalization, and grammatical errors and strange or inconsistent stylistic decisions (as if they have no style sheet - which would be weird for a reputable online publishing platform!)

Some quick examples:

Company Introduction [neither bolded nor underlined, making it inconsistent with the other header listed afterward]

Successful Candidates should have [no reason "candidates" would be capitalized]

love, and understand [comma is inappropriate because not separating clauses - this is a bit nitpicky but still odd if this ad was professionally edited and aimed to writers]

Earning are accrued [noun/verb agreement]

HubPages's [okay, I'm always shaky on possessives with "s", but I think it's supposed to be HubPages']

project, level...job, [nonsensical parts of a series, obviously meant as SEO/keywording, and not to be read by real users - again, not in line with HP values]

and to begin writing [not parallel construction in the series]

Also, the dashes in the title are asymmetrically spaced, probably to fit into the field, but it looks unprofessional - again, not like HubPages.

Interested? [underlined and bolded, like the Job Description header, so with parallel formatting, yet it is not a header]

Also it's nonsensical to say that candidates should have good writing skills but need no previous writing experience (and then again to say in the sidebar that the Career Level is "Experienced.")

Superficially, the whole ad looks slick and well-done and legit, but it's either someone else posing as HubPages or HubPages itself being bizarrely sloppy.

Writer Fox,

Good catches with all the grammar and writing! Whether non-HP or HP, definitely touched up by advertisers.

That was Fiction Teller's post.

21. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Christy - it's one thing not to be able to modify the ad (which sounds a bit strange, but whatever . . . ), but do the ad placements have to continue? Can't the ads just be pulled?  What if a company had that contract but went out of business or changed its legal name?

Simone has been gone for a while - I don't recall HP using the term 'blogger' before she left. Could be real wrong, though.

Meanwhile - I am sure people who have been here through the "Hell and back" stages would have ideas on credible ways to recruit potential writers on the site.

Hi Marcy,

It's not impossible to modify these ads, but it is a difficult process. We have been using the term "blogger" for many years. It's kind of a tough term because in the early days of the internet, it had the connotation of an online journal, but in recent years, it has also come to mean an online niche writer/expert, which is the way we use it.

1. makingamark profile image71
          makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

As a blogger of some 10+ years who has reviewed much material about blogging during that time, it's my very strongly held view that the term "blogger" has NEVER been used to describe an article writer - EXCEPT by people who didn't know what they were talking about!

Blogs are completely different to article sites and always have been - and I would have expected HubPages to be completely transparent and maintain that distinction - at all times.

Newspapers have article writers who maintained blogs - and they are clearly labelled as blogs and behave like blogs.

However HubPages is not a newspaper and the hubs are absolutely nothing like blogs - and never have been.

So when are the adverts going to stop?

[Note: I'm replying to this point as I consider it seriously misleading.]

22. paradigm search profile image55
      paradigm searchposted 9 years ago

@Writer Fox

Well, I see that you were and are dead bang right! I never would have thunk it. The idea of HP being locked into a contract had just never occurred to me. Oh, well. Well done, WF, well done. big_smile smile smile

1. Fiction Teller profile image59
        Fiction Tellerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yep, Writer Fox called it.  Ew, well.

23. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

When I joined five and a half years ago, I clicked a Facebook ad which used the word blog or blogger.  I have a video on one of my hubs from that same time period in which Paul E. is being interviewed by a Zappos rep and he (Paul) uses the word, 'blogs'.  It's in the niche context of writing about a topic that you know well, i.e., shoes.
      If I saw the ad the OP has posted, I would think it was a social media manager position.  I wouldn't consider what we do on HP in that respect.

24. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 9 years ago

Remember the old hubpages success page that used to list all the hot hubbers and their earnings.
      Interestingly that url now is a landing page for bloggers:

http://hubpages.com/success

Too funny!  According to Merriam-Webster a blog is "a Web site that contains online personal reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer."  Sounds like the type of content which would never pass QAP! lol

I just asked my phone (Galaxy 5), and these definitions for blog don't match up either for how we would write a hub:
          http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12374195_f1024.jpg

Thanks for sharing this URL janderson99, I never saw this page. Hey, how can we get on that page? I'm going to keep checking that page to see if they rotate the hubbers.

3. mary615 profile image83
        mary615posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I remember when we could see those Hubbers who were top earners.  Several were making over $1,000.00 a month.  I don't remember all the names, but I do know one of them is still active here.

Amazing if others are earning 1K a month, and anything is possible. I'm going to try to use social networking a bit more for traffic, although again, I think timing is everything and being in the right place (or website) at the right time might help too. Some popular hubs are short and sweet and don't even have a lot of pictures. I think creativity and uniqueness are the keys it seems to successful hubs. ;-)

25. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

In fairness, I can see how the cultural use of the word 'blog' is moving ahead of the actual definition.  This sometimes happens in the evolution of language.  When I signed on more than three years ago, content that resembled a 'blog' was reportable. They've taken that word out of the mix for 'reporting' things now. I do, however, let the mods know if I am reporting something that's mostly a 'personal blog.'

The word 'blog' is something most people have a feel for - they know it refers to writing online. In the past, there really wasn't an easy way to describe what we do on HubPages. Online content writing? Publishing on a user-generated content site? If we had our own websites, we could refer to 'our sites.'  But we don't own HP as individuals, so that doesn't work either.

Many experienced writers look for online spots to 'blog,' and their goal is to write interesting, informative and researched content. That's who we want to recruit here. In contrast, the average inexperienced writer will not discern between informative and well-researched 'blogging' and idle chatter about personal things.  But QAP can, we hope, catch those problems.

As I see it, by using that word (blog) the site can more easily attract the type of writers it wants.  The challenge will be in sifting out the chaff.

Either way - I see why the word 'blog' is an efficient way to let people know, "Here's a site where you can write your own content and maybe even get some money for it."

Marcy - thanks for your insight.

Just like rebekahELLE mentioned above, I think the use of the term blog has definitely changed.

The Evolution of the Blog!

Hey that can be a hub. ;-)

2. Christy Kirwan profile image93
        Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are spot-on, Marcy. We do occasionally get people who join hoping to write about personal subjects, and more frequently, creative writing, but we do our best with our internal messaging to let writers know that (while there is certainly a place for creative writing here) informative content tends to be the only type of content that will produce significant earnings.

26. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

I just took a look at the 'success' page and noticed something rather interesting. All the links show subdomains. The two links I followed led to EC hubs (without subdomains showing) so obviously they're redirected.

Interesting that the subdomains show though.

Interesting observation, LongTimeMother. I took another look at http://hubpages.com/success page

It looks like the URLs are the same, except when you launch it, the hubber name isn't in the URL (properly just URL redirect/adjustment)

When you mouse over:
        http://cocopreme.hubpages.com/hub/drink … n-the-dark)

When you launch:
        http://hubpages.com/hub/drinks-that-glow-in-the-dark

Attention HP TEAM: The hub link for the second person (Curry Corn Chowder with Pancetta) is a broken link.

The last 3 were picked as hubs of the day.

27. lovebuglena profile image86
      lovebuglenaposted 8 years ago

I've seen job ads for HP on some job boards. I don't remember them saying you can earn thousands a month.

I'm guessing it wasn't written that way in past, but the current job postings have that wording.

28. Dima Alexandru profile image58
      Dima Alexandruposted 8 years ago

thanks...

29. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years ago

Wish there were some way to get this ad clarified to be more accurate in today's world!

Christie - I am sure Simone could help clear up whatever the problems are & would be happy to help. Maybe you could ping her?

Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Our contract should be up within a month or so, and we are not planning on renewing, so these ads won't be around much longer. smile

Thanks for your suggestions, Marcy.

Christy, sounds good, thanks for the update.

I hope there are plans for some writing contests, I think we hubbers would enjoy that.
          :-)

30. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

I just looked at my fan mail, and there are several people who want to "connect with me".  This looks like a new functionality, since they all include links to their profile page.

Hi Millionaire Tips,

That sounds like the "You might know" prompt that comes up on Facebook and Linkedin too. I just checked my Fan Mail, and the page looks the same. Can you provide more detail or include a screen print of the changes you see?

31. makingamark profile image71
      makingamarkposted 8 years ago

I find it very odd. Those adverts are seriously misleading.

We have an Advertising Standards Authority is the UK and those adverts certainly wouldn't past the test for what is considered an OK advert.

I find if I want to stop something I just pull the plug. No need to wait until the end of the contract - just end it now....

What I also find ironic as somebody who has blogged for nearly 10 years and has a very popular blog (amongst others) is that my blog posts which get a lot of traffic wouldn't be OK at HubPages.

Hi makingamark,

I know what you mean, it seems odd to me too, but per Kristy from Hubpages team, it should be removed or changed soon, we all hope.

I'm glad to hear that you have a very popular and successful blog. I guess standards are different in the U.S. vs. U.K.

I'll have to check out your blogs.

Thank you for your comment. ;-)

32. Donda Renee profile image58
      Donda Reneeposted 8 years ago

I do hate this. It is very deceptive in my eyes. It is a waste of your time to look and then be lead somewhere else. Just wrong in my eyes.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Sherry, way back when I first joined, there were several writers making over $2000 a month so although it was never paying g a fixed salary, it was a genuine income source.

However that all stopped in 2011 so they should've stopped the ads then.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
          Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, Some writers made that much, maybe even many writers. While it was possible to make that much, I don't think those results were ever typical.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

When I joined, it was definitely achievable by the average Hubber, it was just a question of building up enough Hubs. By the time you joined, sadly those times were already over.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

This thread is a year old. Do they still run these adverts on Monster.com? Somewhere early on I believe an HP staffer said their run with Monster was coming to an end.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)