Another Ad Question

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

Okay--so we all know it is forbidden to click on ads on your own hubs, and at least severely frowned upon, if not outright forbidden to do so on the ad on other hubbers' articles.

But--how about their Amazon ad capsules?  Are those fair game?  More than once, I've seen an Amazon item someone had placed, relative to their content, and yet I shied away from clicking on it, for fear of running afoul of the ad-click rules.

Does the ad-clicking ban apply to all ads, or only the google/HP ads placed there outside of our own control? 

Anyone know?

1. bravewarrior profile image85
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've clicked on Amazon ads placed in writer's hubs and not been penalized. I did it because I was sincerely interested in the product offered, and have even made purchases that way. Since most of our traffic comes from hubbers (unless the topic is high in Google searches), clicking on an Amazon link is not frowned upon. Clicking on the link as the author is not good. HP has a record of each of our IP addresses. Notice, when you receive a comment, the IP address is posted. Not sure if anyone else can see it, but the author can. Therefore, HP is aware of hubbers trying to scam the system.

2. SpaceShanty profile image93
      SpaceShantyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You cannot click on ads on your Hubs as the advertiser will be charged and you will profit, it is called 'click fraud', just as if you were to claim you worked more hours at a job than you actually did.

I may be wrong, but I have not heard that you are not allowed to click on ads on other Hubbers Hubs if you genuinely find them interesting as you may go on to make a purchase or become a customer, that is afterall the purpose of advertising. 

As for Amazon capsules there is no problem because clicking on an Amazon capsule does not cost Amazon anything or benefit the Hubber/Hubpage financially.  In other words any Amazon products added by the Hubber are fine to click on or even make a purchase.  You cannot however make an Amazon purchase through your own Amazon capsules/referral links, this is against Amazon affiliate TOS.

The only exception would be adverts displaying Amazon products/services as these are PPC (Pay Per Click).

I hope this has helped and not made you even more confused!

DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I know we cannot click on google ad sense ads or HP program ads, and I stated as much in the intro to my question.

My query was strictly about Amazon ads on another hubber's article--because I found the product she placed, related to her article, to be interesting.
        From the other answers, it does seem that it is acceptable to do so.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
          Rochelle Frankposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It "might" be acceptable to click on an Amazon ad if you are interested, but why take the risk? You can easily do a Google or Amazon search of the product name if you are interested in the product.
          I get the majority of my HP income from Amazon, and I would rather that hubbers don't click on my ads and possibly jeapordize my account.
          I also actually do quite a bit of shopping on Amazon since I live in a rural area which is severely "shopping deprived".  I would love to contribute to the accounts of other hubbers by ordering through their links, but am not willing to take the slightest risk of having their (or my) account put in jeapordy.

1. paradigm search profile image55
            paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Same here. If it wasn't for the internet, things would be extremely grim in that regard.

2. SpaceShanty profile image93
            SpaceShantyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There is zero risk clicking on other Hubbers Amazon links.

As I said before, you are not allowed to make a purchase through your own Amazon affiliate links.

3. relache profile image74
            relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

When you live in the city in which Amazon is based, there is almost nothing they will not deliver.  Half my neighbors order their groceries from Amazon.

If you click on your Amazon affiliate codes, they will still make the sale to you, they will just disregard the commission to your account.

1. NateB11 profile image87
              NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh, man, I want to have groceries delivered.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
          Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you see a product in another author's Hub and you want to buy it, then you can click the product to do so.

The problem is clicking your own ads or telling people to do so (including your friends and family).
          http://hubpages.com/faq/#how-to-attract-readers

From the FAQ
          You may also share your Hubs with family, friends, and co-workers, but do so with caution.

Don't ever have friends or family members click on your ads and don't ever click on your own ads or those of people you know. This will quickly get you banned from Google's AdSense and it's very difficult to be reinstated.

DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Matthew; that is what I thought, but just wanted to double-check about Amazon capsules, specifically--Thanks for the clarification. 

So clicking on an Amazon capsule ad that we are interested in purchasing is okay, but, as I thought, never on Google/HP Program ads, no matter where they appear.

1. Venkatachari M profile image82
              Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

But why one should not click on other hubbers' ads? A person should not click on his own ads. Google does not forbid clicking on other writer's ads.
              Only, if you are clicking with malicious intention, then, that is wrong.

2. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

If I really want to see an Amazon product I will either right-click on the capsule and open it in another window (which BTW is not a click at all).  Or, search for it in my browser.

3. NateB11 profile image87
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

I've always wondered about this, I've heard that it's okay to click on Amazon ads here, but I'm paranoid about clicking ads, I never do it. Logically, as others have pointed out, it seems that we can click on Amazon ads though. Clicking on others' Amazon ads is not a benefit to us so Amazon won't count it as click fraud and clicks themselves do not cost Amazon anything. I think Amazon has a policy about buying products you advertise for them because they won't pay you a commission for your own purchase.

1. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh, shoot, on this forum thread http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/67737#post1483104   it is stated, by a very reliable source, we cannot click on ads of other Hubbers. I think they are talking about Google ads, but I thought I should post that link to clarify.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)