New Hub-Style: The Short-Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. AndrewHil93 profile image40
    AndrewHil93posted 8 years ago

I'd welcome feedback on the style of this Hub I have just written:
    http://andrewhil93.hubpages.com/hub/It- … s-Advice-1

I've decided to name a not-so-common style of Hub in the hopes to make it slightly more widely adopted. The reason for this is because I like to read Hubpages way into the night, and as my attention span gets shorter as I get more and more tired, I lose interest in longer hubs whereas if there was a separate category for Short-Hubs, sleepy Hubbers could simply go to the Short-Hubs page to get all the information they need within the length of their attention span and if it is a compelling read, they can venture onto something longer which is relevant to the Short-Hub they just read.

Short-Hubs, I guess, would be like a bridge. It would also encourage more dyslexic users. Two of my friends who suffer from moderate to sever dyslexia said they would rather read an article in the Short-Hub style to get an idea and the information they want without having to battle with an essay just to get the few points they need.

My aim of these Short-Hubs are to be viewable on one screen, easy to read and can be used as a quick reference guide which will encourage people with less-advanced reading skills or low-capacity attention spans, Though this hub is designed for mostly motivational purposes, they could be adapted to suit a range of stlyes of hubs from quick recipes to even those flash-articles you often see in newspapers, designed to hold your attention when there's a relatively less interesting story going on around the little box article (for example, you could have a hub about a fashion show you attended and a Short-Hub talking specifically about one specific event that stood out at, before or after the show such as seeing the queen at the fashion, it's interesting but doesn't quite warrant an entire 1000 word hub, where it's a compelling article but the subject is not ... complicated enough to warrant such a huge hub.

Haven't you noticed, some hubs can be summed up in literally 300 words but are bulked out by pointless descriptions just to increase the word count? Short-Hubs gives people the ability to feel less of a need to bore us with boring descriptions of how that dog walked across the park out the window whilst you were looking at a piece of art at the biggest gallery in the world... That dog could have been a short hub in itself, as could the 300 word article about the piece of art.

I am asking for criticism regarding the layout of the hub, the content and substance and I welcome any suggestions, criticisms or questions which may help me to develop this Short-Hub style.

I think, as demonstrated, a linkback to a hub (of yours or somebody else's) which will allow the person reading to get the idea and if they wish, they can progress onto something relevant. Perhaps, the hub I linked back to wasn't the most relevant but that was mainly just to demonstrate, when I have written a more fuller article which is more relevant to the Short-Hub, I will naturally change it.

Thanks!

The link again is: http://andrewhil93.hubpages.com/hub/It- … s-Advice-1

1. paradigm search profile image54
      paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

I wrote a total, complete hub just today. IMHO, both readers and Google would have loved it. But it wasn't that long and it only had one image. I've learned from previous experience to not even try to post it here; it is now my latest post on my website. And I noticed that your hub has already disappeared; obviously I don't know if it was because of QAP or something else. Either way, hang in there. smile

2. AndrewHil93 profile image40

It's not even been published yet aha, I posted this ahead of my guns, clearly!

3. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

There's no harm in trying it out as an experiment, but you should keep your expectations low that your short style hubs will be featured after going through QAP.  HP has been encouraging users for a long time now to write longer hubs that are not padded with excess words, but very rich.  Good luck.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've found that some of my shorter hubs get good traffic. I get bored when I read long ones too and often don't finish them.

AndrewHil93posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Me too haha

4. LeanMan profile image79
      LeanManposted 8 years ago

The reason that HP suggests that you write longer hubs is because Google sends more traffic on average to the longer hubs on the site.. They have a "few" hubs to look at on which they can base their data and be able to make their analysis so it is a sound observation and good advice on their part.. This analysis has also been done by other sites and respected experts online and has been shared on the forums here a few times (I am just too lazy to go looking..)

As most hubs rely on Google and the other search engines to provide their traffic this is probably very good advice. However like any other stats there are still going to be short hubs that get lots of traffic and long hubs that get none...

However what I would say is you need to think about cause and effect.. Do longer hubs get more traffic because they are long or because people stay on them longer and interact more?

I realised this after my forum post, but I think those who write Short-Hubs, should do so with the expectation that maybe there won't be so much traffic.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
          SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Those who write short hubs should also do so with the expectation that they may not pass the QAP.

I guess it also depends upon each person's definition of "short" in regards to their writing. For some it may mean 100 words, while for others "short" might be 1000 words.

I doubt HP will give their blessing to you new "Short-Hub" style in general, however, each hub is reviewed individually and some shorter hubs may pass QAP, while many others will not.

5. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 8 years ago

You can try to write short Hubs but the QAP process will most likely not pass them.

Back in the first few years of HubPages, when any sort of writing brought in money, writers here were allowed to write however they wanted.

That is no longer the case.

6. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 8 years ago

Robin Edmondson, who works for HP and has a Hubber Score of 99 (which means her individual Hub Scores are high) has many short Hubs with no pictures, videos, polls or quizzes.  Here are the word counts for some of her Hubs: 104, 129, 165, 187, 196, 204, 216, 248, 277, 279, 299, 301, 347, 393, 499, 573.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm, interesting. Did she write them within the last year or so? I assume they are probably several years old.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I consider a short hub 500 words. Only one of those is even that long. I'm a bit surprised and why is she getting high hub scores for those shorties?

If you ask me, she's onto something.

LET'S BRING ON THE SHORT-HUB REVOLUTION!

3. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/009/224/steviewonder.jpg

Aha, I love the meme.

4. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting indeed.

7. AndrewHil93 profile image40

It's live now guys, have a read. Let me know what you think!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)