jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Need Help Deciding Whether or Not to Redo Project to Get New Photos

1. Kylyssa profile image94
    Kylyssaposted 17 months ago

This hub is most often my worst scoring hub. It usually scores somewhere around 70. Yes, I know it gets to be published with a score of seventy but I'm trying to improve it. Something is obviously lacking in it. I'm just not sure what.

I'm trying to figure out if it's the quality of the photos or the quality of the instructions or some combination of the two that keep this particular hub at such a poor hub score. 

The camera I used to take the photos wasn't as good as the one I use now and I also wasn't as good at taking photos as I am now so I do plan to redo them eventually as well as redoing the photos for the tutorials for making the seashells and starfish to go on it.

Depending on what people have to say about it, I'll either recreate the cake sometime soon without having it for an event or recreate it this summer for use at a party. If folks think the photos are just embarrassingly bad, I'll probably do it sooner rather than later. But if it's mostly about the written instructions, I'll probably fix up the wording and wait until an appropriate occasion and make the cake for that.

1. calculus-geometry profile image86
      calculus-geometryposted 17 months ago in reply to this

I think the photos are fine and show enough detail for the reader to get an idea of what to do.  If it's getting good traffic I don't know if I'd go out of my way to reshoot it to get better lighting and resolution.  If you're definitely going to make it again, just wait until then to reshoot.

When you make it again, you can keep the finished product photo from the current set so readers can see more than one example of what it should look like.

Kylyssaposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Thank you for your suggestions! I'll likely make it for the July party my roommates usually have each year instead of for no occasion at all then.

2. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 17 months ago

Your score is irrelevant when it comes to deciding whether you should spend the time updating the pictures on the hub etc..

Do you have views? Are they a good number every day?

If you don't have anymore than a trickle of views is anything going to improve with a few improved pictures?

If you have a lot of views then go for it - make it the best it can be...

It gets so-so views, mostly from Google searches.

I disagree with the philosophy that improvement of an article will not improve views. For instance, improved photos might make it worth pinning on Pinterest and result in people sharing it there. Making the text better and more clever also might result in sharing.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 17 months ago

That is a really clever cake!  Your photos are fine.  What has happened is that you have made a cake that doesn't look like a cake.  What you need is an image of a cake that has been cut into with a fork, to show that it really is a cake and is edible.  Put some words on it, so that it can be pinned, and I am sure it will take off on Pinterest.

Do it now - before patriotic holidays like Memorial Day and Independence Day and while the weather is still warm / cool enough to go to the beach!

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Okay, I was thinking patriotic because of the blue star. You could make one that has red, white and blue to make the cake even more versatile than it already is!

2. Kylyssa profile image94

Thank you for your suggestions. It had never occurred to me that it doesn't really look like a cake at all so I'll be sure to do some kind of inset showing it cut open when I take the new photos.