So I was dubious about doing the hub pro editing. I actually was going to turn it off, but I forgot, as I don't get on Hubpages much any more. When I received an email to say I'd been chosen, I was quite worried. You can't improve perfection, right? Fortunately, as a journalist and also in the middle of editing my own book, I have slowly learned that as long as the facts are right, you should never be precious about your content because it can ALWAYS be improved.
So here's my pros and cons of the editing, now that it's over.
* My top three highest traffic hubs were chosen. This was fantastic because they had so much traffic I was SCARED to change them - you know when you reach that point that you don't want to touch something because you're scared you'll break it, and it takes on a life of its own?
* I got an infogram, made just for one of my hubs. Win!
* My hubs got longer. My editor researched all my topics and put in bigger scientific words and background information.
* I got all new images. Great images, professional images, which made my old ones look crap! If the editors can't find high quality images suitable online, they have a professional photographer take new ones. Supposedly having unique images is good for SEO, but that's not my area of expertise so no idea on the weighting.
* Once the editing was completed, there was a special feature which displayed on my account page, letting me see the original hub, the changed hub and also the two put together, with the changes/additions/deletions all highlighted in different colors.
* Over the years of writing online, I KNOW that there are wordings and phrases I use automatically which really jar with over use - for instance "However" or "As you know" or "In most cases" or "Not to mention the fact". Most of the time these are unneeded and as I slowly learn to write more clean copy, I'm trying to eliminate this use of cliched terms. "However" it's great to have someone else, with professional experience going over it and picking out the issues.
* Optimised my hubs for mobile which, let's face it, is something like 90% of traffic on my content.
* I freaked out when I saw that my "40 Ways to Induce Labor" had been changed to "28 Ways to Induce Labor." Luckily, that was only part of the editing process and the list went back to the original number!
The editing process took approximately 6 weeks. Which is kind of a pro if you're worried about too much too fast, but this column looked kinda empty and if you know me, you know I like to give both sides as much as possible!
Overall, I think Hub Pro is great and really took my hubs to the next level. Basically, my editor took all my current content and made it twice as good, without removing anything. I definitely hope I get chosen for more editing in future!
I have debated for ages whether I should turn that button off just in case, especially in view of the negative reports I have read about Editor Pro. I know I am not perfect. I also thought they would never get to me and I would be safe because as I understand it you really have to have great views before you receive this honor. It certainly is refreshing to know that your experience has been a good one, but I am curious to know whether the changes resulted in even more traffic!
Not sure on traffic changes yet, as it's just been completed. But as I now have longer content, more images and more to scroll through, that should equal more time on page and more Pinterest pins I think
Good news, I might have to reconsider my opting out of the program.
I'm glad you got some good pictures. My editor put a bunch of horrible Flickr images on my hubs. I complained about how poor the quality was, and then I got a few of the created illustrations for some of my mental health related hubs. I was especially worried about those looking professional. I really wish I could have a new round of editing to have the nice illustrations on my more popular hubs. I've gotten rid of many of the Flickr inserted images, but I kept all the illustrations produced by HP.
This is something of an important. I see your discovery are in my wordpress features. Nice.
The photos look great. I'm guessing pinterest will love them.
OK, I am persuaded and opted back in to both HubPro and EC. Let's see what happens.
I look forward to hearing what happens with your EC hubs in particular, Sue. It might be a while before they get around to an edit.
I will be watching for your feedback.
I only had 1 EC hub before I opted out a few months back. Interestingly, as soon as I opted back in today, that same hub carried the HP label again. That hub never had a huge amount of traffic so it may be un-chosen again. I'll keep you updated.
I am so glad you had a positive experience, and even better, am glad that you are publicly announcing your experience.
I have always been a big supporter of the program, even when others were complaining about it, and have been opted in from the very beginning.
It is definitely worth it to see how someone would improve my hubs, especially since we can change things back if we don't like them. This feedback can then be used to improve other hubs, and create better ones in the future.
Unfortunately, my hubs are just too perfect to be fixed and don't have the traffic numbers they are looking for.
Really great to read about your positive experience. The details should help others improve their own hubs. Hope you can follow this up soon with some great traffic stats!
Great to read such a positive review WryLilt. I will probably never have any hubs chosen but your experience has convinced me to stay opted in for HubPro editing. Thanks for sharing.
That is awesome, WryLilt. I hope you will see more Google love on those hubs that were edited. Thank you for posting the pros and cons as you see them. Pros have it!
Wry....I sincerely Thank You for this wonderful share!! You have enlightened me and put at ease, any of the doubts I have had.
Now......how do I opt in at this point or can't I?
Beautifully explained!..........Peace, Paula
Visit your settings to turn it on if it's anything like EC, you can probably switch every 3 months?
Do you know what the criteria is for having one's hubs edited by a Pro Editor? Is it related to the number of views received on a Hub?
No idea sorry! They did choose my 3 hubs with the highest traffic though, the lowest with about 250k views for all time.
Thank you. For most people here then it could be years before the bulk of writers receive an edit by a Pro, especially if that figure is your lowest:) I don't think I have anything to worry about.
Thanks for sharing, WryLilt. Good to know about your positive experience. I like how you gave us detailed pros and cons. It's good to see an excellent hubber as yourself give us a well-rounded point of view and serve as an eager guinea pig. I found this very helpful. I'm currently opted out of both programs but have always planned to re-evaluate every period. I will add your experience to my evaluation. Thanks again, your the best.
Woohoo! I just had a hub on another account selected for Hub Pro. *Dances*
Nice to hear about your experience. I had an email from Hubpages today that my hubs are also going to be edited under hubpro. Excited!
by Merida Craze22 months ago
I haven't been very active on hubpages but occasionally I log in to check how my articles are doing. Today I was gobsmacked to see that three of my star articles have been edited and the traffic for these hubs has...
by Robin Edmondson17 months ago
Pssst! HubPages is announcing an exciting new service today— check it out in our blog.
by Susannah Birch19 months ago
I'm bored. Ok correction, I'm procrastinating. I randomly come on and off the forums and on this return visit I've seen SO many people questioning why their hubs aren't making money and/or getting traffic.So for as long...
by Carolee Samuda23 months ago
http://hubpages.com/faq/#HubPro-BetaHubPages editors will:Proofread for spelling and grammar mistakesUpdate the information in HubsImprove layout and structureAdd supplementary capsulesObtain high-quality media assets...
by John D Wilson2 months ago
The chart showed a loss of about 55% of the traffic on Hubpages in the last 6 months.I also looked at the traffic trends on some of the niche sites, and they don't seem to be making up for the loss.In fact the bounce...
by Kylyssa Shay11 months ago
The focus of HP has turned to the niche sites. Editing services will only be used on hubs being considered for the several new niche domains for the foreseeable future. The niche topics chosen for the next year or so...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.