jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

A - Z Guide

1. sallybea profile image97
    sallybeaposted 22 months ago

I am wanting to write an  A - Z  Guide for one of my hubs and wonder if anyone knows if there is a way for me insert a much large letter A  at the beginning of a sentence,  I feel very limited by the current text as I cannot even copy and paste a larger letter into the text.
    Is there is a way for me  to do it this using HTML> If there is, could you please let me have an example of the HTML using the letter A to start with.   
    Alternatively could you please suggest a better way to do it so that the letters of the alphabet appear strong. and stand out from the rest of the smaller letters.
    Many thanks
    Sally

1. SheilaMilne profile image89
      SheilaMilneposted 22 months ago in reply to this

They are called drop caps, but I'm not sure that they can be done in HTML.  I'm no expert though so maybe someone else will know.

sallybeaposted 22 months ago in reply to this

SheilaMilne
        I hoped it would be possible but don't think it can be done on HubPages.  I am trying to work a way around it by using the Paragraph headings as suggested here but thank you for trying to help.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image83
    The Examiner-1posted 22 months ago

You have two choices Sally:
    1) You can go into the edit mode and of the text capsule and in he center it says "Paragraph". Click on that and choose the heading for the letter to be (remember to set the rest of the words back to "Paragraph" for normal lettering.);
    2) You can hold Shift when you type each letter;

The Examiner
      Oh well, I tried, neither is really what I was looking for.  I had hoped it would look a bit better than that.  I don't seem to be able to have one letter different, I have to have a heading in the same color black and font size otherwise it just jumps back. Very frustrating.

3. quicksand profile image84
    quicksandposted 22 months ago

Another alternative is to use JPEGs. You could create images with MSPaint and crop them down to near zero border. MSPaint has fonts that are similar to the ones used on HubPages.
    The only issue is that you will not be able to wrap text around these images. Hope this helps!  smile

quicksand
      I confess that it is not really what I was looking for.  I wanted that nice look that children's books used to have back in the days when they really knew how to write books:)   Thanks for the advice anyway.

working