Traffic Glimmerings of Hope

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (81 posts)
  1. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

Well my traffic has gone up two days in a row. And this Memorial's Day Monday traffic was higher than my last week's Monday traffic. Who knows? Maybe summer will stay away a little while longer. Anyone else doing better?

I should mention my traffic has shown no sign yet of going back to pre the latest Google thumping however. Oh, well.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mine spiked significantly yesterday, but this is normally the time of year when I would expect that.  I'm waiting to see if the increase continues.  Last year I had three or four months of really good views and income...and then ...nothing!

I need a new niche for my other site, but so far my attempts have failed.

2. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have been seeing little glimmers of hope.  ---  Its pretty much been up and down, up a little more, OOPs down we go....wait, up a little again!  (oops, just teasing me)

3. CatherineGiordano profile image78
      CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Traffic up? You must be using GA because the stats haven't updated for two days. Mine, in fact, just went down. total views went down.

Mine have, and I'm talking about the HP stats.  Wonder what's going on with yours.  I'd contact the team about this.

1. colorfulone profile image77

I check HP stats once or twice a day.  I see the views have frozen since I looked yesterday (when they were up).  I hardly ever go to GA.

2. paradigm search profile image54

And I see the HP website has done very nicely the last two days.

3. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

I've doing a bit better over the past week or so. Actually, I've been thinking the changes to the site have helped.

paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree HP hasn't done anything to hurt the site. Google just seems determined to torture us.

1. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, and actually yesterday was not a great day for me in terms of traffic, but I was figuring it had to do with Memorial Day. Though my traffic goes up and down and of course the weekends it will go down.

Actually, one HP account doing better, other not. Which is usual, one account usually does better than the other.

4. TheDragonBringer profile image92
    TheDragonBringerposted 8 years ago

Why is Google so mean? I'm not to far away from beating the thump, but it's so hard to motivate myself now.

Can I have a hug?

Same here. lol

btw, 100K+ views in 16 months is awesome. WTG!

1. TheDragonBringer profile image92
        TheDragonBringerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, my fans are awesome. Who knew that my love of video games could be productive!

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 8 years ago

“It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ John Cleese (Brian Stimpson, Clockwise)

A wise quote.

It does appear the correct perception of reality here is one of resignation and acceptance.

6. paradigm search profile image54

Well if my account continues to be a mirror of HubPages, then Q is going to report lower HP traffic for Tuesday than Monday. Meanwhile my website traffic has now gone up three days in a row.

7. paradigm search profile image54

And speaking of traffic, a Forbes article about Pinterest, http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathleencha … n-content/

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. It sounds like Pinterest is the place to work on.

2. BWD316 profile image80
      BWD316posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have just over 100K views and about 30 percent (31,000) came from Pinterest, mostly to a gardening hub of mine. Pinterest can definitely be a gold mind for DIY, gardening, food and home hubs.

8. christimay profile image61
    christimayposted 8 years ago

I'm brand new here.  Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.  This is all new to me.  I have only published one hub and working on the next one.

Hi and welcome:

My best advice is to take the time to read the information in the learning center and also read as many articles as you can from the top writers here.  People like Patty Inglish, Writer Fox, Relache and Marisa Wright.

Take note of how they use their photos and ads as well as their capsules, titles and headings and try to relate that information to what you read in the learning center.

There is a lot to learn, and it takes time.  It will be awhile before you earn any money, but you will.

Good luck!

1. christimay profile image61
        christimayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!!!

9. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

Hi paradigm. Two days ago you were excited about your traffic. No sign of any stats updates since then.

I think you jinxed us. You'll have to stop getting excited. wink

10. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 8 years ago

Same with me colorfulone. It keeps on going down than up.

11. paradigm search profile image54

Well my traffic went up a little yesterday while HP's traffic went down a little.

HubPages is going to permanently discontinue the daily traffic stats updates before the end of the year. In the interim they are doing the frequent delays as training for us to make GA our daily habit in place of the HP page. I put the odds of this prediction being true at better that 80%. The only question is will the new schedule be once a week or once a month.

My traffic range is still definitely stuck at the new, lower post phantom level. Let us hope this is also the summer level as opposed to another significant drop being imminent. Still exceeded HP payout this month even with my frequent scampering's over to straight AdSense. Come to think of it, today is payday for last month. I have hereby just perked up. big_smile

1. CatherineGiordano profile image78

I find the HP stats very easy to use...when they are updated regularly. I do not like using GA. I can see why HP wants to get rid of the stats. Makes life easier for them. If they do that, it might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.

Right now, GA is showing that I have had over 10,000 views the past couple of days. (My hub "Did Jesus Exist" went a little bit viral. Atheists love to share.) I'm waiting for HP to update and verify it. Just my bad luck that I post this hub on the day HP decides to stop updating stats. This is the first time I have had a lot of views and I want to see that 4 or 5 figure number in the HP stats so I can take a screen shot and save it for posterity because I don't think it will ever happen again. And HP is denying me that small pleasure because they won't update the stats.

Where did you get this info, Paradigm? I hope you are wrong.

Re: that 10K views. Forget the stats page, you should be salivating over the earnings page! lol

As for my stats prediction, it's just a prediction. big_smile

I think it's a prediction you should have kept to yourself.  Many here depend on those updated stats to help them work with their articles.  You may have started a panic with this one, especially with the way you stated it.  You didn't say it was a prediction, you said it was like it was a done deal.

Stats are off today because today is pay day.  They always are off on pay day.  The other stats get held up due to advertiser payment issues many times.  Please don't jump to conclusions, it's not fair to the rest of us here.

Ya know HP wants to. If my post initiates a riot, then maybe that desire will not translate into action. Even better, HP might be moved to initiate a denial. big_smile

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
              LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Of course the easiest way to attract a denial is to ask a question, paradigm. But that would spoil your fun!

When I made my prediction, the whole riot-denial scenario hadn't even occurred to me. I was just making a prediction. Hark! Have I changed history here? lol

I suspect you'll never know, paradigm ... unless of course they do stop giving regular updates, in which case the answer would be 'no'. lol.

My prediction (for what it is worth) is that one day we'll see that magical "updated 7 minutes ago" message again. It is in their interests to keep us all glued to HP for the latest updates. I doubt they'd want us to only log in once a week. smile

I think you're right about that. HP is a very user-friendly site, I think, and I also think a lot of effort is put into making it that kind of site.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

I was concerned enough about this issue to email the team to ask about it.  Here's their response:

Thanks for your email. It looks like you've been given some incorrect information. I'm pleased to let you know that we have no plans to discontinue stats updates. The stats sometimes take a while to update due to delays with our advertising partners (rather than issues with our own systems), so there isn't really much we can do about those occasional delays, but we certainly don't intend to discontinue the stats or stop updating them. smile

That settles any questions anybody on HP should have, and I'm glad I asked.

Alas, note the wording. If anything, it supports my prediction of traffic stats updating being changed to at least a weekly basis. Hourly traffic stats updating is already long gone. It now looks like daily traffic stats updating is on the same path.

There is also something odd about their reply, they may have misunderstood you. As far as I know, advertising partner data has absolutely nothing to do with our daily traffic stats calculations and updating; remember how traffic stats used to update several times a day. The advertising data is only used for our daily earnings page calculations and updating. I think whoever answered your inquiry thought you were asking about earnings stats, not traffic stats.

The plot thickens. And I am now boosting the probability of my prediction of conversion from daily to weekly traffic reporting from 80% to 87%. big_smile

edit: And now that I think about it, who the heck said anything about discontinuing stats updates? I certainly didn't. An odd reply indeed...

Perhaps they misunderstood my question.  I asked them about discontinuing regular updates, not discontinuing updates altogether.  I also think you are wrong about the connection between earnings and updates because the one should at least somewhat be dependent on the other.

At any rate, I was happy with their response and assume things will continue on as they are for the foreseeable future.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image78

TimeTraveler2:T he updating of payment data is delayed due to advertiser issues. I loved being able to see updated payment early in the day, but it is out of HP's control. I can live with it. 

That is a separate issue from views. I need my views updated early and regularly so I can manage my hubs and get more views for both of us. (Me and HP.).

Paradigm. Yes. I saw it in earnings.  I earned about $10 in a day and I never even got close to $2 in a day before. The bad news is that advertisers may not like atheist topics because my CPM dropped $2 from the day before. It was trending up until I got those 1000's of hits.

Catherine, a gentle reminder that we're not supposed to be too specific about earnings and cpms etc ... but I don't know exactly how much information is too much information. (Just in case you're tempted to write more about what's happening on your account right now.) smile

I know we are not supposed to be specific. I tried to be vague while giving a sense of the change. I too don't know where the line is, but if I crossed it I expect I will hear soon enough. Thanks for looking out for me.

My little success may help motivate others to keep at it. Things can change overnight. hard work and good luck line up to create the perfect storm.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Is this change a given?  If so, it's going to make writing here much more difficult.  I hope you are wrong about this.  Where did you get this info?

Me thinks I better go back and bold that word, "prediction". big_smile

OK. Just a guess then. I hope your prediction is wrong. Further I hope HP will make it a top priority to automate the stats so that they happen reliably and regularly.

They used to be that way.  Don't know why they aren't any more.

3. NateB11 profile image88

Oh, shoot, forgot it was payday. Going to have to check my paypal later.

Yeah, it's gotten to where I'm not checking stats here anymore and just go to GA.

It would just be courtesy to post on the accounts page that stats will not be updated until (and then give an approximate time) and give the reason.

4. CatherineGiordano profile image78

I am beginning to think that paradigm search is right about HP discontinuing stats. it is going on 4 days without an update. Not a peep from any hubbers about it--we are evidently just resigned and beaten down. Not a peep from HP. I remember the days when HP would at least explain that there was a problem, I guess this is the new normal. No updates, no explanations, and no fuss.

I agree, it has been far too long.  However, if you check your earnings for last month you can at least see the amounts you earned up through May 31.  This does not help with knowing how your pages are performing, though.  For that I have opted to use GA, but it is just not the same because you cannot compare daily, weekly, 30 day and all time views there.

I am getting discouraged with the way stats are now being handled, but the excuse seems to be that advertisers are slow, etc.  There always have been advertisers, but this problem only popped up a few months ago.

They really need to change this up, otherwise people will simply stop writing.

5. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"HubPages is going to permanently discontinue the daily traffic stats updates before the end of the year. In the interim they are doing the frequent delays as training for us to make GA our daily habit in place of the HP page."

This statement above is not accurate.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2738085

Why are we seeing the frequent extensive delays?

2. NateB11 profile image88

Scared me for a minute, I thought you were saying that HP was going to discontinue stats; fortunately, I read to the end, of course.

M Mayer didn't stay stats weren't being discontinued  He just said that stats weren't being delayed in order to get us used to having no stats. I think stats have already been discontinued, but we just haven't been told.  It is almost 4 days now.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
            Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

>I think stats have already been discontinued, but we just haven't been told. 
            Again, that is not an accurate statement.
            Stats have not been discontinued and there is no plan to do so at this time.
            There is simply a delay.

I was joking of course, but at least I goaded you into a response.  Please let us know when there is a problem and let us know approximately when things will get back to normal.

I suspect that it sounds like I'm just whining about the stats, but I use them all day long. I don't want my hubs to get unfeatured, so as soon as I see a hub that had no views in the past 7 days, promote it on social media. (sometimes I spruce it up a little first.) Usually, there are from 1 to 5 that need a little push. The stats didn't update for 4 days. I ended up with about 20 hubs having 0 views. That is way to many to cope with.  I can't promote that many on one day. I hope I can clean it up over the course of a week. GA does not show hubs with 0 views. I rely on HP for that. HP really messed up my hub management plan.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

He did not say this was being done to get us used to having no stats.  He simply said they are delayed.  Let's not blow this out of proportion.

3. colorfulone profile image77

At first I thought, "What?"
        Whew!

12. LongTimeMother profile image92

Congratulations on your good run, Catherine. smile

Thanks. I have been working this hard for almost a year. I will post my screen shot, if and when, I see it.

The problem with posting a screen shot is the potential for showing the performance of other hubs as well. (You don't want to point plagiarists in the direction of your best-performing hubs.)

13. paradigm search profile image54

A quick GA lesson...

At top-right change date to yesterday or whatever day or range you want. Click "Apply".

Go to bottom of menu at left and click the second "behavior". Then "site content". Then "All Pages".

At bottom right, change rows to 100 or whatever.

Ok. I won't do a screen shot. for public viewing. Just for me to go look at whenever I feel discouraged.  The hub has gotten over 10,911views. But something is weird with the stats. Since the hub is only 4 days old, the number of views for past 7 days, past 30 days and ever should all be the same. The number for "ever" is 3000 views higher. How can that be? GA says it got 11,492 views from 5/25-5/27. The views from 5/28 aren't showing yet.

14. paradigm search profile image54

And our PayPal payments have arrove. big_smile

15. paradigm search profile image54

GA will let you see today's data. Just click the calendar. There is however about a 2 hour lag time.

thanks.

16. mactavers profile image89
    mactaversposted 8 years ago

I've been on Hubpages for over 4 years and it continues a downward slide.  So many of the Hubs that are currently being written are glorified advertising only.  What happened to not writing Hubs that were overly commercial?  On the updates front, it's terrible.  I miss having the Hubs listed in order by rating.  My protest is not writing any new Hubs and only signing in every couple of days, whereas, I used to enjoy both the reading and writing and would check HubPages several times daily. Any money earned is one issue, but it's not fun anymore.

mactavers: I have finally started to earn a small amount of money. Payout for the last 2 months. My hubber score is around 95, my hubscores are mostly in the 80' and 90's (my average score just hit a new high) , and I  even had  HOTD last month. But like you I am on the verge of quitting because it just doesn't feel like fun anymore, and there are people in sweatshops in China earning more per hour than I do.

I'd be inclined to leave most of my hubs in place, even if I'm less active. If I'm writing somewhere new, I'll just write new content.

True, it is not as much fun as it used to be ... but online content seems to mellow and ripen with time.

LongtTimeMother: Good advice as always. It's time to see if my hubs can generate any of that passive income I have heard about. While that is happening, I'll explore other writing opportunities. Perhaps I still have a glimmer of hope.

I clicked once, but my message appeared twice. Does that mean it was worth repeating? lol.

Changed it now. smile

2. LongTimeMother profile image92

Your hubs have the potential for generating income, Catherine ... even if you're not watching them.

Hope is one of life's essentials. smile

Thanks Long Term Mother. I finally got to payout after 10 months. Two months in a row now. I know my writing is good --I get new followers all the time and praise from other hubbers.  But I have not figured out the trick of generating income--income commensurate with the time I put in. I know you have a great niche and sometimes I want to buy the stuff you advertise even tho I have no need for it--you are that good.

ROFL. That's very funny, Catherine. Thanks for the compliment. smile

I never set out to advertise anything. I simply write about my experience, and things I personally use and find useful. The majority of my hubs (including my most recent one) don't actually promote any products at all.

Now you've made it to earning in consecutive months, you'll find it much easier. (Remember though to keep watching for stolen content and filing DMCAs.)

When it comes to assessing the income you generate vs time put in, try to keep an eye on the big picture. People in sweat shops might be making more per hour than you are ... but they are only paid once for each hour.

They are not paid next month for a shirt they made last month, and they won't still be making money from it next year - or the year after that.

One person pays them one wage once for everything they create. You have the potential for hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands of people to contribute to your payment for the time you spend writing hubs ... year after year.

Hope this thought helps feed your glimmer of hope. smile

Thanks LongterTimeMother: The way I computed my hourly rate is how many hours did I spent on HP (writing and promoting) divided into the earnings for the month. I consider HP to be more like my hobby than my job.  I get pleasure from a job well done and from seeing the stats. The stats are like a score in a game. Did I get  a personal best today?  Did I reach some milestone?  I like to watch the numbers roll over. I set little goals . Can I get to XXX views today? I sometimes take screen shots just to celebrate these little events. I had a hub go kind of viral, but stats weren't updating those 2-3 days and I got robbed of all those milestone moments.

I think HP depends on the little people like me. I don't make tons of money for HP, but only a few people do that. There are probably tens of thousands like me and our earnings add up for HP. If I leave HP, they won't even notice or care. so I just have to figure out for myself if what I am getting from this is worth the time I put in. Would I get more pleasure doing something else and/or can I justify my time with respect to the money I earn? The two factors together are part of my decision. Maybe a third factor--the pleasure I get from my interactions with some of the other hubbers.

17. LongTimeMother profile image92

It is now Wednesday in Australia. Not long until Friday again. There's not much of a window left for stats this week. sad

The absence of anything new or interesting in feed or forums is depressing. I have a new hub nearly ready to publish so I might finish it off now and put it up.

Somebody has to keep writing ...

Done.

18. CatherineGiordano profile image78
    CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years ago

My hubber score went up to 98 today. Another little bit of pleasure. It hasn't been that high for quite a while. The frustrating thing about this game is I don't know why it went up. How can I play the game when I don't know the rules?

19. littlething profile image93
    littlethingposted 8 years ago

Huzzah! Stats have finally been updated. Thank you to the HP team.

20. rentacarss profile image61
    rentacarssposted 8 years ago

You've made some excellent points

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)