jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Google Adds 'Buy' Button to Bypass SERPs Results

1. janderson99 profile image86
    janderson99posted 17 months ago

Google will soon add a "buy button" to its search results so that users can buy immediately from its shopping ads that appear above the search results. "The button would give Google Search users the option to purchase without needing to visit a separate website." Google has stated that this will reduce "friction" for users so they buy more things online". This is another step towards Google search with its GRAPH database becoming HAL. Google already displays instant answers to questions bypassing the SERPS - though it often shows the source. Google has already been heavily criticised, especially in Europe for pushing its own sales sites ahead of search results. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32915175

1. brakel2 profile image86
      brakel2posted 17 months ago in reply to this

Eu has filed an antitrust lawsuit against Google. This will really sever relationships.

2. paradigm search profile image81
    paradigm searchposted 17 months ago

I'm glad I ran away from Amazon and have no product oriented hubs.

1. janderson99 profile image86
      janderson99posted 17 months ago in reply to this

Gee - was that wise! I added one extra AM to all my hubs (now 2 per hub) and $AM have surged!

3. calculus-geometry profile image86
    calculus-geometryposted 17 months ago

Google can put the buttons there, but it can't force anyone to click on them.  Referring to the reasonable act of visiting a vendor's site as "friction" is beyond naive. "Friction" is using Google to search for a product when I can just press the Amazon or eBay apps on my phone.

4. earner profile image85
    earnerposted 17 months ago

Google, who hold all the data in the world on what people are looking for and what sites are successful, have been nibbling away at the most lucrative markets for a few years now.  A lot of what I used to write about (e.g. some travel stuff) was bumped out of the way once they started showing their little maps with listed companies above any websites I could have written.

I saw this, then, as the thin end of the wedge.  It'll soon be a "big boys only" game - only big companies, with enough financial clout to be major producers and providers will end up getting a chance at selling anything.