jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Who Chooses the URL?

1. Motherbynature profile image83
    Motherbynatureposted 20 months ago

I noticed a weird URL for one of my hubs and was wondering how a URL is chosen for a given hub.

The title of my hub is 10 Reasons Why Some Men Should Marry Gold Digger. And the URL for this is
    http://motherbynature.hubpages.com/hub/ … rse-Anyway

I have no idea what the 'run from a gold digger' or 'become a work horse anyway' parts come from.  I may be completely having a senior moment but I do not recall choosing a URL.

1. janmodric profile image87
      janmodricposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Maybe this was your initial title when you first published the hub?

Motherbynatureposted 20 months ago in reply to this

I don't remember but it's entirely possible.

2. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 20 months ago

The URLs come from your title when you first create the Hub.  In other words, you chose it.

If you change the title later, the URL does not change.

3. colorfulone profile image85
    colorfuloneposted 20 months ago

The URL is chosen when "we" first write the title. Even though we may change the title later, the URL will stay the same. If you want to change the URL before you move on to create a new hub, you can edit it but not after you have moved past that phase. I hope that makes some sense. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

Motherbynatureposted 20 months ago in reply to this

I don't really want it changed. I just never noticed it until I went to copy and paste it on a text message. Thanks for your help.

4. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 20 months ago

All the prior answers are correct. But I just wanted to give you more detail.

You can choose the URL at the very beginning when you type in your title when creating a new hub.

You have to click "edit" on the URL. If you leave it alone, it will default to the title (with dashes between the words).

The URL cannot be changed after you move on from the title entry. And it will remain the same even if you change the title later.

You may notice that certain other sites change the URL when you change the title. This is bad because search engines would  eventually drop the listing and have to reindex the new URL. HubPages is doing it right by keeping the original URL.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Glenn and others have provided some very helpful information.
      For future reference some of this is covered in the FAQ as well.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#Name-Hub

working