Am I doing something wrong?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. wild4alaska profile image61
    wild4alaskaposted 8 years ago

The last 3 hubs I have created all were featured. Thats great. But I have only generated 3 cents in ad revenue. What should I do about this. I mostly write about camping and outdoor things. Do top ten lists fail. What kind of articles are doing good. Should I do camping recipes and try to incorporate high end yeti coolers into the mix for sale thru amazon. Don't get me wrong I generally write because I like it but I would like to earn $1000 a month in residual income from my hubs. I know it might take me a while to get there but Im looking for whatever input I can get. Also do I show up better in search if I Have more pages?

1. SouradipSinha profile image83
      SouradipSinhaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are 3 Hubs old and have been approved by AdSense? yikes yikes How?

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

It can take years to get to the point you are trying to reach, and competition is stiff in your niche.  Most people don't even reach payout until they have been writing here for from 6 to 8 months, some take much longer.

If it is money you want, HP is not the place to get it.  You would do better by starting your own website and sharing your info there.  That, too, will take time, but financially you are likely to do much better.

Good luck.

2. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Hi Ben. You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. You need more hubs. You certainly have the experience with outdoor sports to write more. I looked at your hubs and your enthusiasm shows. In your pack rafting hub, I love the first pic and your bio at the end. They show authenticity which readers like. As to what you're doing wrong, take some time to re-read your 3 hubs slowly and go for consistency in your punctuation and sentence structure. You write well, catch the little things that add up and chip away at quality. The adsense pennies will add up later. $1000 a month? Maybe not but earnings will add up slowly but surely. Good luck. smile

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Ben, HubPages is not going to let you make hubs which are nothing but sales pages.  Those days are gone.

You need a few hundred hubs drawing thousands of visitors as a known and established camping author or gear reviewer on an authority topical site if you want to make $1000 per month passive income.

4. virusfree profile image57
    virusfreeposted 8 years ago

1000$ a month is a big goal but not impossible, i know hubbers who earns more than that from HubPages Adprogram and Amazon, you can earn about 500$ alone from the Adprogram. But i don't recommend camping and outdoor things because they are pretty common and therefore competitive in nature.

You need to concentrate on topics with less competition , what you need to do first is select a topic and go to Google's keyword planner to find the competition and search volume of the keyword and find if it has search volume above 3000 minimum and it has low competition. You can also look for related topics using the tool and include topics based on those those which will boost your search volume. It will take approximately 2 months to get your hub in the first page of Google and start receive good traffic and good amount of money.

Tutorials are generally less competitive in nature and there is a good chance of it being shared by other users which will result in faster Google rankings. But don't go for topics that you have no idea or no interest , it will not get you good results.

5. tosha11 profile image60
    tosha11posted 8 years ago

I try and cover numerous topics. If you want multiple viewers you are going to have to have a fairly big genre of writing to attract more people. As for steady income I have no advice because I just write for the fun of it while I am bored at home as a hobby.

6. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 8 years ago

You write well. However, I would break up your hubs so that there are more images and in-depth explanations about some of the different elements of camping. And I think you could do it.

I recommend removing the products for now. Focus on making one DAMN sexy looking hub and then add the ONE product you think most people who come to your hub would need... and place it sort of where you talk about it.

Like I said, you're a fab writer, keep that up. Just do a little more organization on your hubs to make them REALLY pop and cut most, if not all the products.

Keep writing, too. Fix those hubs up and get more going. It's a lofty goal, but I think you have the writing skills to do well here.

Also, get rid of the "about the author" section on the packrafting hub. Expand the hub title to explain more about the topic... and then expand the hub. Tell me EVERYTHING there is to know about your aspect. A well-rounded, thoughtful hub should be ~1200 words or even more. If telling me EVERYTHING there is to know about packrafting would make a 50,000 word hub, then consider breaking it up into hubs with more specific topics: How to buy the best pack raft, how to repair a packraft on the trail, what NOT to bring when packrafting, 10 Packrafting Must-haves.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)