jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: Pancakes - Breakfast or Brunch?

1. Elsie Hagley profile image82
    Elsie Hagleyposted 19 months ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Pancakes -  Breakfast or Brunch?. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I am no critic, however I never read anything related to the title. I have no idea how the QAP works structurally in that regard or for that matter if that is subject to not passing it.

1. MariaMontgomery profile image86
        MariaMontgomeryposted 19 months ago in reply to this

That's true. I opened the hub expecting a discussion of whether they were considered breakfast food or brunch food. I got involved in reading and mentally editing it, and forgot all about the title. Sorry 'bout that.

2. MariaMontgomery profile image86

I think it is a great article. I found only one thing that I would recommend changing:  in the intro paragraph you have written, "...are all batters type foods...". I would change it to "are all batter--type foods..." Aside from that, I wouldn't change a thing. Hope this is helpful.

1. MariaMontgomery profile image86

Opps! I meant to use only one hyphen, not 2.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 19 months ago

Are there any suggestions posted in the upper right corner when you are in edit mode?
    Maybe a more eye-catching photo to open with?-- like one of the fancy ones with fruit and cream?
    One problem may just be competition. There are quite a few pancake hubs.
    Sounded yummy to me.

3. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 19 months ago

I think it has too little content for what HP wants now. Try stuffing in some "interesting pancake facts", etc to push up the word count.

Also, you could talk about buckwheat flour often being used for crepes, and maybe say something about buckwheat since many people have never heard of it. Buckwheat is gluten-free, which gives you another variant for people with dietary requirements.

4. Elsie Hagley profile image82

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Maybe it's the title that needs changing, will try and see if it gets published after changing it.
    Have a nice day.
    Elsie

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image94
    Phyllis Doyleposted 19 months ago

Try a different name for pancake: griddle cake, johnnycake, flapjack all attract attention.

6. Elsie Hagley profile image82

Thanks Phyliss for that idea, I haven't heard of johnnycake. What part of the world does this come from.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image94
      Phyllis Doyleposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Hi Elsie. I believe the name "johnnycake" originated in the United States southern states during the Civil War. There is also a term called "hardtack", which was a biscuit made from just flour and water which the camp cook would make for soldiers to carry with them as "survival food".

You might want to write a little history about pancakes, johnnycakes, hardtack, flapjacks, etc before you present your recipe. That always adds some interest to a recipe hub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vojGvYrRdPI

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image94
        Phyllis Doyleposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Oh! Changing the title might be good, too. Something like "History of the humble Pancake" ?

7. Elsie Hagley profile image82

That sound like a great idea, I may do that to add a few more words to it. It's a bit low only 700. Thanks

working