jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

Technical Editing-I want to move a whole text box into a brand new Hub

1. agnes elmira profile image81
    agnes elmiraposted 22 months ago

Hi friends.
    this is my first time reaching out to the community for help. I just graduated form Writer's Boot Camp and need to finish 5 more hubs before applying for the earning programs. But this is not the subject of my inquiry today.

I started my account 5 years ago when I knew absolutely nothing about how these hubs work. I'd posted two hubs and actually wrote a third one, which unbeknownst to me, I just recently found saved as an unpublished text box inside of one of the previously published hubs. now I want to simply take that whole text box and move it into a brand new hub with its own title. I guess the reason I want to do this is so that when its finally listed as a featured hub in my account profile, it will mark the original date of publishing as "December 3, 2010"  and updated to June - 2015, rather than have its original publishing date as the current date. does that make sense? it kind of "goes" with those first two hubs, which have been updated in the past year.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 22 months ago in reply to this

I would email the team about this one.

2. Sue Adams profile image92
      Sue Adamsposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Hi Agnes,
      I looked at your hub:
      The Pen Versus the Keyboard: Choosing Your Intent and Your Audience

It looks as if you have only used one text capsule for the entire hub and no images.

To move a text capsule from an old hub to a new one, just do the following:

1. copy the text
      2. save it in notepad on your computer
      3. delete the unpublished hub where it came from
      4. start a new hub
      5. copy the text from notepad
      6. paste it in a text capsule in the new hub

Having said that, it is unusual to only use one text capsule for an entire hub. If you look at some other hubs you will see that we normally use a different text capsule for every few paragraphs relating to the same capsule heading. This format layout allows other capsules (photos, videos, polls, tables, maps, amazon or eBay capsules) to be interspersed between the text capsules to make the hub easier to read and more appealing to the eye. The advantage of having a catching picture just after the introduction is that it gives our hubs a thumbnail for your hub. This thumbnail also allows you to organise a carousel of up to 5 hubs on your profile page. In addition, good pictures can be pinned on Pinterest which is a major source of traffic when those pictures get re-p├Čnned by the public.

Look at the "Need Some Goals" box at the top right in editing mode and try for all the boxes to be ticked.

For further information, read this page:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub

As you can see on that page, every time there is a heading a new text capsule has been used. This is only evident in Edit mode.

As for the date for the new hub, it will be June 2015 but since readers only see the updated date this would not matter, it would still fit in with your other recently updated hubs.

I hope this helps, good luck.

agnes elmiraposted 21 months ago in reply to this

I use the cut/paste method all the time and was hoping to avoid that. I was just wondering if a whole box could be moved from one hub to another

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78
          Matthew Meyerposted 21 months ago in reply to this

There is no way to move content from one Hub to another.
          The suggestion to copy and paste is correct.
          Just make sure to unpublish a Hub before you move or copy content to a new Hub so that it does not show as duplicate.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 21 months ago in reply to this

I would also suggest having WMT de index it from Google.

2. agnes elmira profile image81

The original text box in question was never published live. It was accidentally saved as a draft into a previously published hub. That published hub needs to stay as it is.

3. agvulpes profile image88
      agvulpesposted 22 months ago in reply to this

I don't think you can transfer a complete capsule as such! If you 'copy and paste' as others have suggested the content will take on the 'published date' that your new Hub takes on smile

2. agnes elmira profile image81
    agnes elmiraposted 22 months ago

Hi Sue
    Thanks for your reply.  I will study this post more carefully later.

FYI: I have 5 featured hubs and the one referred to in my original post was "Jane, Beatrix, Elizabeth and me." There are two additional text boxes which are not published,  only saved as drafts. I'm not sure those unpublished text boxes would be visible to the general public

3. The Examiner-1 profile image83
    The Examiner-1posted 22 months ago

Open both Hubs into separate Hubs. Go to the text capsule that you wish to copy from. Copy what you need and go to the other Hub. Open a text capsule to paste into and your previous text will appear. Close the 2nd Hub and go to 1st to delete copied text.
    When you have deleted the copied text in the 1st Hub for 24 hrs., then you can publish the 2nd Hub.

Will this method help me keep my original posting date from the first hub from 2010?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image83
        The Examiner-1posted 21 months ago in reply to this

agnes,
        You can type "Original date 'such and such'..." into your new text Hub to be sure that you have kept it - or into your word processor. Or type it anywhere that you like to be sure.

Yes, thanks. I've already got the original date worked into the writing itself. But this particular cut and paste method will probably list the new published hub in the order of the current date, I suppose.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image83
            The Examiner-1posted 21 months ago in reply to this

What you asked first may happen but I cannot promise it.

4. NateB11 profile image92
    NateB11posted 21 months ago

As far as I know, that's not possible. As already suggested, you could email the HP team.

working