Wordpress advice

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I've taken the plunge and got my own domain to host a new blog. It's going to be called Writers Biographies.

I'm using Wordpress. Can anyone suggest any plug-ins you think I should add? I have added Akismeht and Google analytics so far.

1. Dorsi profile image88
      Dorsiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cool Susan! This is an interesting topic for me too because I'm setting up my wordpress site also. So much to learn but so many helpful people here. It's awesome. I would have spent way more time doing this if not for the help of hubber friends!

2. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

all in one adsense and ypn

all in one seo pack

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

It highly depends on what you gonna do with this blog. If you are accepting comments some kind of captcha won't hurt. If you will run Adsense, some kind of Adsense plugin will be useful.

However, there are a few that you will need either way. You want XML sitemap, you want SEO plugin, and you want database backup.

You might want the one that sets links in comments to DOfollow, and you might want the one that lets your users subscribe to comments, and last you may want the one that puts a few social bookmarking icons under your posts. smile

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Thanks guys smile I had forgot to mention I did add the plugin for the social bookmarking icons.

5. sunforged profile image70

yeah forgot two

"auto social poster" - automatically social bookmarks new posts to various sites technorati, pings all the blog search engines etc

and

wp add this redux
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/addthis/

adds multiple add this, share this options automatically to all posts

and you def want XML sitemap - i forgot it was a plug-in, it actually comes packaged with most of my themes

6. sunforged profile image70

oops sorry - i looked for a link for auto social poster and its 197! - and according to some comments it may be acting up in relation to teh new wp upgrades.

I must have a got a deal..i would nevr spend 200 on aplug-in! but when it was working i think it paid for itself anyway.

there are probably similar ones out there for free.

plug-ins that automate banal promotion- thats the goodness

7. Trekkiemelissa profile image65
    Trekkiemelissaposted 14 years ago

Here is my suggestion to you.

adsense manager - if you are using adsense and/or other affiliates.
    Sociable - is good if you want people to link to you.  It has links to stumbleup and many others.
    Spamfree - I would definately go with.  It has blocked a lot of spam I have managed to get through my own blog.
    all in one seo - that another one you could use
    WP-sticky - if you ever want to put a sticky up that would come before your other posts.

8. sunforged profile image70

We are all pretty much suggesting the same stuff

Akismet=SpamFree

All in one adsense and yahoo partner network = Adsense manager (more options available with All in one though)

Sociable= add this

i guess ill look at wp sticky - i dont understand the need as you can set your first page static if you like and you sticky any post to the first page...what functionality does the plug in ad?

if you want to get tricky- pick up   CPA redirector

9. lawretta profile image62
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

Hi guys, keep the suggestions coming in. I am gaining knowledge Thanks

10. amy jane profile image73
    amy janeposted 14 years ago

I highly recommend the Insights plugin (see http://www.prelovac.com/vladimir/wordpr … s/insights for more info)

It allows you to insert a photo from flickr, video, a google map and relevant links from previous posts in seconds. It saves so much time.

I could live without this plugin - but I wouldn't want to! smile

Congrats on the new blog Uninvited Writer!

11. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Awesome thread. I am still clunking along with my site. Neglecting it basically. But I'm thinking of putting more time into it just for something new to do. I'm getting lots of Elance work but now its work. lol

I have so much to learn about site management I put if off over and over. I think I'm a little scared of it.

12. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Interesting thread. I'm setting up a few domains. My dad is helping me today with his server so we can get it set up.

Anyone know what MySQL program you're using? I was told that I needed one.

What programs, in general did you need to set up wordpress on your servers?

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wordpress installation is very easy - most hosts have an automatic installer you just set up your database and admin passwords.

If you self install (sounds like your dad might physically have his own servers ?) simple ftp upload of the install files - the modification of one php file and the creation of a mSQL database are all it takes.

if you are in fact installing on your OWN server

If you are installing WordPress on your own web server, follow the Using phpMyAdmin

http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_W … phpMyAdmin

or Using the MySQL Client

http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_W … SQL_Client

instructions below to create your WordPress username and database.

from wordpress codex

1. Whitney05 profile image83
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

THANKS! I'll send him these instructions, and maybe he can decipher them for me. And, yes he has his own server. He designs and hosts websites on the side, but he currently doesn't have the spare time to design the sites that I want. I figured by using free software and setting them up myself, I could get it started. But, I've found it's a little more complicated, and I still need his help. He says he's tried setting up the server with MySQL and PHP before, but wasn't able to do it. I'm hoping he can this time.

Edit: he says he's already found and printed off those instructions. Oops ha

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whitney, I'm completely clueless about setting up websites, so I don't know what a "MySQL" program is.

I daresay I have one for my websites but I don't know what it is, because it was probably provided by my hosting service.

All I did when I set up my Wordpress site was use Fantastico to load Wordpress and followed the instructions.

The only other things I've needed are themes and plug-ins - no other programs.

13. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

You can use a email sign in box, site map plugin, SEO plugin, share and rss buttons, feedburner plugin, spam prevention tools, create a favicon, database management plugin, flash tagcloud plugin, social networking plugin, gallery/slideshow plugin, twitter auto-tweet, recent post widget, and you can find more on the wordpress directory  http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tags/plugin

14. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 14 years ago

So for those that use the SEO plugin, is this just a set it and forget it type of program? I installed and activated it on my site. BTW for those that need a good upload program I've been using Filezilla and it's been great. There was a bit of a learning curve to figure out how and where to upload my files to but I'm getting it.
    (BTW if someone had told me I'd be talking about seo and plugins a year ago I would have said HUH? What? I just have to laugh because there is always so much to learn but it is SO interesting)

Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The one I am using asks you for keywords, etc. for each post.

Can someone tell me if my site is visible to the net yet?: http://writerbiographies.com . I still have a lot of work to do on it. Critiques are also welcome smile

1. Dorsi profile image88

It's looking great Susan. I like the way you have it set up, and I like the wordpress theme. I just changed my theme but am concerned it may be limiting, but it so goes with the theme of my site. The same goes for me, if you have any ideas to critique I'm here:
        http://granniesgreenliving.com/
        I just added the add/share button plugin which I really like, and added seo but maybe it's not asking me anything yet because I haven't made a post since I installed it.

15. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Getting that header up took me the better part of the morning smile

Dorsi, I like your header picture and I think it fits. The site looks good to me. I was trying to figure how to link to all my sites and I see you just used the links widget which makes perfect sense smile

1. Dorsi profile image88

That add/share plugin is here, I really like it because it shares with just about every site imaginable.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/add … reenshots/

16. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Thanks, I added that one. I like it better than the other one I added.

1. Dorsi profile image88

yw- Susan, did you add your own adsense capsules? I'm trying yieldbuild but having some problems because of the way my template is set up. My yield build header ad looks good though, I like the way it blends in with my site.

I did add my own.

17. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I like a couple of plugins called Seo Title Tag which lets you optimize your post titles, pages and tags and Yoast Breadcrumbs by Joost de Valk.

18. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I've been frustrated all morning trying to set up FileZilla. No matter what I do it won't accept my connection. Oh well, I will go back to using the website for uploading files.

who is your host?

I'm using hostican

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read someone's (Lissie's?) advice about using Filezilla but once I got it set up, I wondered why I bothered - because I have cpanel and that works just as well.

Yes, cpanel is what I'll be using. I find it much easier than FTP.

I love how easy it was to install Wordpress.

19. sunforged profile image70

Im sure you have tried everything, but just in case

both your username and password are case sensitive

what is the error you receive?

Have you used filezilla successfully before, for any host?

20. sunforged profile image70

Once you have ftp working you would see how much easier it is.

It is worth figuring out what the problem is, a decent host can be calle don the phone and will walk you through the process.

Usually cpanel limits you to one file at a time, ftp allows you load all your files at once

1. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

exactly - that's why I use filezilla - there are others too - but just don't be conned into paying for one!

However now - not sure for how long cause I just noticed you can add new plugins right from the plugin tab without using ftp at all - very,very cool.

I use all the usual suspects my new fun plugin is "sexybookmarks" - its for social bookmarks - but it just makes such a cute line of "popup" icons at the bottom of the post you just have to click them - example on any post on lissowerbutts.com You can configure which bookmarks you want it has all the usual suspects a bunch I never heard off.

I use commentluv and keywordluv - comment luv returns the commentator's last blog post below their comment and keyword luv means that putting lis@passive income in the "name" field gives a link to passive income (my main keyword) while giving my name as well. 

Am I allowed to feel slightly responsible for Susan and Dorsi for their new blogs ?

21. deejaynyc profile image60
    deejaynycposted 14 years ago

This is my first forum post. Hope it's OK to suggest the reading of one's own hubpage. I thought I'd give it a shot since it recommends a WordPress plugin.

Please see:  http://hubpages.com/hub/WordPress-Back-End-Space-Saver. I LOVE this plugin. It puts the menu back where I like them best -- across the top of the page; where they had always been til version 2.7.

Peace and Love to you,
    DeeJay

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)