jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Feedback on my first Hub: How to give your furniture and old look?

1. EstherHDS profile image60
    EstherHDSposted 16 months ago

Dear hubbers,

Today I posted my first hub and I hope you want to help me with improving my Hub-skills. Does anyone want to read this hub and give feedback? You would make my day!

http://estherhds.hubpages.com/hub/How-t … n-old-look

1. Quilligrapher profile image87
      Quilligrapherposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Welcome to Hubpages, Esther. Your first hub is a marvelous start. I am looking forward to reading more of your work.

Here are three minor suggestions for your consideration:

“The advantages?”

2.  Comma
      “I personally prefer Painting the Past Matt Finish because of the matt look.”

“which show the underlying surface, so don't be afraid to show some of the original material.”

You are off to a great start. Keep the hubs coming!

1. peachpurple profile image78
        peachpurpleposted 16 months ago in reply to this

i tried to get to your link but nothing there. Your profile page is empty too.

EstherHDSposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Owh, what does it say? I thought I had everything that's needed.. There is someone else who'd linked to me.

2. Chriswillman90 profile image88
      Chriswillman90posted 16 months ago

I thought it was really good and the article itself is quite useful. There might have been a couple technical errors, so a quick read through/edit could be good but not required. Maybe a couple of paragraphs could be broken up so its not so wordy, but they weren't an issue when I read it.

It's a great start and happy hubbing!

Thank you for your fast reply! It helps to hear that it's okay for a first hub;)

3. EstherHDS profile image60
      EstherHDSposted 16 months ago

Thanks! I will change your suggestions!

4. ChristinS profile image93
      ChristinSposted 16 months ago

I love your hub overall - great use of images, subtitles in bold, short paragraphs and good white space.  Bravo - so many new hubbers get that wrong smile The eyes need to be able to easily scan and find what they are looking for.  You are on a roll with that.

I would recommend that you read your piece out loud.  You will see that there are some word issues that could be tightened up.  This comes with experience and something I still struggle with, but learn to eliminate unnecessary words.  You can also use more "punchy" words to bring excitement and passion to your piece.

I will use one passage of your hub to show an example.

"   After the damage, you can sand your wood with sand paper (100 grid). With this step you can prepare the surface for the paint. To give an extra antique dimension, I recommend to sand especially the edges and heavy damaged spots. By this, you will accentuate the antiquity of your furniture.  "

Now that you have had fun smashing your piece with a hammer; it's time to sand and prepare the surface for paint. Use 100 grit (I believe it's grit not grid) paper, paying close attention to the edges and heavily damaged spots. This will accentuate the antique look and set the foundation for an amazing piece.

Something like that you get the idea.  It has more excitement in the words and is more succinct in telling people what to do and why.

Wow, thank you for your comment! I can absolutely use those suggestions:)
        I hope that one day - with a lot of practice - I can be at your level! It is so hard to write creatively in a language which is not your own..

I'm absolutely reading as much of your hubs as I can to learn it..