jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

So What Is Working?

1. davidlivermore profile image94
    davidlivermoreposted 16 months ago

It seems like HP is having more issues the more they try to make improvements.

I can't trust my stats, the revenue I receive, etc.

So can someone tell me what is working?

1. relache profile image86
      relacheposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Google's systematic devaluation of content farms.  It's been working steadily for a few years now, which is what's happening here.

2. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Let's look at what is working on the internet overall.  This is an article I found interesting; it sort of gives a rundown on what Google might like:

http://www.marketingprofs.com/articles/ … ill-eat-up

Since no one is privy to the exact nature of Google's algorithms for ranking content, the article could be way off base.  But it's probably not, even though it was posted in 2013.

The biggest problem for us is that, for whatever reason, Google isn't buying into our sub-domains.  Even if I have a niche HP sub-domain that fits into one of the categories in the article linked here, Google is going to penalize it because it's on HubPages. 

Why does it do that?  Probably because it sees other content on HubPages that doesn't fit into the categories, it finds poorly written and unedited content and it has a slanted view of what HubPages is, as Relache stated:  a "content farm".  Somewhere in the algorithm it says:  "Hey, there are people on HubPages writing for our advertising dollars who aren't qualified to be doing so.  We better penalize the entire site and all of its authors."

Is it fair?  Yes and no.  My sub-domains should have nothing to do with any of your sub-domains, unless we are writing about the same things and we are linked up by HP.  What's linking to me on HP and who is getting incoming links from my sub-domain?  That's food for thought, eh?

But my sub-domain is no different, really, than having my own site.  I'm the only one writing the articles on it.  I have control over who comments on it or edits my work.  HP is just a platform I'm utilizing to provide informational and entertaining content.  Right?

Not necessarily.  Some of us are using HP as a platform to gain backlinks or for selling a product with thin content as the hook.  Some of us haven't a grasp of the English language or any concept of formatting an article properly but still we are undeterred from posting on the site.

But allow me to let you in on a little secret.  I've needed information from the web and typed something into the Google search box to find it.  The best information I found, and it isn't all that rare, was a HubPages article on an authoritative niche site.

Put that in your algorithm, Google!

1. ChristinS profile image93
        ChristinSposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for sharing the article and great points you make.  It does seem sad to me that everyone is penalized for the low quality content of others, but hopefully all the things HP is implementing now will help improve that over time.  I'm eternally optimistic I suppose smile.

2. tsmog profile image84
        tsmogposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Awesome. I understand the jest of sub-domains related to domains. I was able to understand that analogously with a WordPress blog being used as a sub-domain for one's website. Connections are made especially with multiplicity of more than one such as more than one Hubber.

The article you shared has immense value for me of least seeking to be a better hubber and success with hubs. Thank You so very much Jason! :-)

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 16 months ago in reply to this

Jason:  This was beautifully stated.  I hope the team takes the time to read it, because you are spot on with these comments.

I have believed for some time now that the team made a huge mistake long ago simply by allowing anybody and everybody to write here without first making them go through a vetting process.

Now that quality has become a huge issue, they are working hard to catch up, but they do not have enough people on board to do the work quickly enough, and they have neglected to start at the beginning.  This means that all writers who came here early in the game and did not have the skill or desire to do things the right way (as per today's Google guidelines) are still here!

Furthermore, Paul has clearly stated that people still slip through the QAP process,  which tells me it is flawed.

They then compounded their error by taking in so m any of the Squidoo people, most of whom had far too many ads on their articles, and allowing them a "grace period" to make corrections, thus allowing Google to "see" their work before those who wanted to do so could make corrections.

You can hardly blame Google for looking down on this site when things are in such a mess.  They are not going to take the time to sort the good from the bad.  That's HP's job.

Whether they can find a fix before Google really lowers the boom, I don't know.

What I do know is those who still remain here must make every effort to continue producing good content so that we can sort of even the scales.

Another problem is the fact that there are so many tech problems these days which are frustrating the writers who remain here.

We have lost tens of thousands of writers in recent years, many of whom were excellent.  We cannot afford to lose more.

Paul needs to hire more people and task them with the job of cleaning up the spammers and poor English writers.  If he continues to insist on seeking to enhance views by only centering on the already good articles, after awhile, it won't matter because Google will penalize the entire site.

I hope he is listening to both of us!

4. colorfulone profile image90
        colorfuloneposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Thank you, Jason. smile

3. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 16 months ago in reply to this

The revenue received has never been anything other than correct according to anyone I have heard from.  Often unimpressive, but paid out in full and on time.

4. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Strange though it may seem, HubPages stats are not related to the revenue we receive. I've never been able to understand why that should be the case but it's what we've been told several times. 

I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of revenue.

1. Jason Marovich profile image87
        Jason Marovichposted 16 months ago in reply to this

You're both very welcome.

2. Virginia Allain profile image65
    Virginia Allainposted 16 months ago

I'm seeing my summer topics that did well for years on Squidoo, now starting to surge in traffic on HubPages. Still not as many visitors as in the past, but definitely am improvement over a few months ago.

Time to dust off the summer hubs that had been unfeatured for traffic back in April. Nuisance, but has to be done.

3. Jasmeetk profile image77
    Jasmeetkposted 16 months ago

Hoping for positivism for my hubs....

4. Hendrika profile image73
    Hendrikaposted 16 months ago

There has a lot been said here already, but I do not think we are ever going to get rid of the label "content farm" make no difference how good our articles are. Once google has something in their sights they never let go:(