jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Will we ever get Like and Tweet numbers back?

1. alexadry profile image92
    alexadryposted 16 months ago

Some of the perks many websites have is the Like, Tweet ad Pinterest button. Articles with thousands of likes are often a sign of success and approval upon readers. It's a sign of doing something right and you feel the incentive of keep on doing it. Let's call it positive reinforcement.

Time ago, we were able to see how many likes our Hubs generated. I remember how good it felt the day when one of my articles generated over 1,500. From those likes and other likes on other hubs, I learned what readers were looking for. Then, with a recent update, all the likes were literally wiped off overnight.

My question is, are we ever going to get those likes back or are they lost forever? Any idea why the functionality of seeing the number of likes ad tweets was removed?  Maybe I am missing something? Am I the only one that likes feels good seeing likes? I own several websites and one of my favorite hobbies (other than seeing how many views) is seeing how many likes articles get. It tells me what articles are appreciated by readers and which ones may need improvement. I know there are other ways to determine how much success an article has, but any chance this feature will be restored in the future?

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 16 months ago in reply to this
    2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Hi alexadry,

We have no plans to put the share counts back at this time. As others have mentioned, it does slow down the page load time and our testing demonstrated that showing them didn't result in more likes/shares for Hubs.

However, if you ever want to know how many likes/shares a particular Hub has, you can always put the url into Like Explorer to get that information.

1. ChristinS profile image94
        ChristinSposted 16 months ago in reply to this

I've found the information here to be inaccurate though for the most part, sorry.  Especially with FB.  It's pretty accurate with Pinterest, but that's about it.  One hub I checked I know for a fact has hundreds of facebook likes and shares, but this site shows it as 0.  I really wish HP would reconsider this stance.

2. alexadry profile image92
        alexadryposted 15 months ago in reply to this

Thank you Christy Kirwan for kindly responding. I will try that website.

2. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 16 months ago

I would love that as well.  Many of us were displeased when that went away.  The reason was given as increased page load speeds, but I can't see it raising them all that much.  The ads I'm sure slow it down more.  Counts are a great cue for readers too.  When they see wow, this page has been liked 1500 times, I think I'll share it too!

1. alexadry profile image92
      alexadryposted 16 months ago in reply to this

So true, it makes it makes it more likely for people to be shared. Thanks you for explaining it's due to page load speeds, as I was wondering. That's true though, as sometimes when I load a page on my website, the likes and tweets as pins take some time to load, but the content normally loads at normal speed.

3. Thelma Alberts profile image82
    Thelma Albertsposted 16 months ago

I would love to have that, too. It will give motivation for us writers when we see that readers are liking what we wrote.