jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)

Disturbing 12% decline in Traffic - May25 => June25 Why?

1. janderson99 profile image84
    janderson99posted 19 months ago

The Global Quantcast data over the last month has shown a disturbing steady decline in traffic of 12% over the last month. My traffic shows the same trend. Any one know the reason (Don't say its Summer). Why isn't Hubpro working? I guess we are all hoping for a Panda redemption!
    http://www.wotisnew.com/traffic25.jpg

1. integrater profile image60
      integraterposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Are they in the process of reducing and then stabilizing HP traffic quota ? Time will Tell .

2. tsmog profile image86
      tsmogposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I don't get views in the thousands. My views are up recently. I notice at the traffic source option HP views are producing a less rate than Google views. Google Views show a greater upward trend for me. However, my hubs are just now reaching maturity with months published too. I am concerned with the image above. Isn't it traditional to have less traffic during summer time. I dun'no . . .

3. Rachel L Alba profile image83
      Rachel L Albaposted 19 months ago in reply to this

At this time of the year, at least in my life, there are graduations, weddings and vacations.  My granddaughter graduated and I was very busy with her school things and baking and preparing for her party among other things.  It will all die down and I will be able to get back to the computer.  However, I have published 2 hubs since.  I try to answer my notifications too.

4. Judy Filarecki profile image92
      Judy Filareckiposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I just look at  my GA and it is showing 1601 sessions over the past 30 days. My HP statistics show only 1050 for the past 28 days. I know I didn't get the other 550 views in two days so where are all the views that GA says I have. I think that the new company counting views are not doing it accurately. Prior to the big upset several months ago when we were told that the company is counting views on a different schedule, the numbers have all been much lower irregardless of the summer decline.

1. Solaras profile image92
        Solarasposted 19 months ago in reply to this

As I understand it, HP takes 40% of the impressions and we get 60%, and that is what is reported under your impressions, your 60% of the views.

1. Judy Filarecki profile image92
          Judy Filareckiposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I believe that is on the earnings page. I'm talking about the main account page were all your hubs are listed  with the daily, weekly, monthly and all time numbers.

5. peachpurple profile image78
      peachpurpleposted 19 months ago in reply to this

i am getting less view daily, my cents are declining too. I don't think is the summer problem, maybe the hub quality

6. stricktlydating profile image85
      stricktlydatingposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Last month was my lowest earnings in over 3yrs, but no obvious drop from 25 May, I've been trending down before then, since share buttons stopped being viewable across all devices (Especially mobile devices), I'm waiting for the day they come back!

7. tsmog profile image86

I pondered after reading more. I went to quantcast for hubpages then compared to other writing sites. Seems the challenge exists at those too while many perform less than HP. Even Wikipedia had a drop. Having less experience what does that mean for the writing site industry?

2. clivewilliams profile image79
    clivewilliamsposted 19 months ago

whats new!!!

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image79
    LuisEGonzalezposted 19 months ago

For whatever reason I am getting more views in these last few days than ever before and the vast majority of them are from Facebook

4. Writer Fox profile image81
    Writer Foxposted 19 months ago

The latest traffic fall started on May 4, the day HP implemented new site design changes. Since then, traffic has fallen below one million unique views a day.
    http://blog.hubpages.com/2015/05/04/hub-design-part-two

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12496713.jpg

5. Thomas Swan profile image93
    Thomas Swanposted 19 months ago

Do HP know how much traffic comes from social media sharing? If those share buttons still aren't visible on mobile devices, or desktops with a zoomed in screen, perhaps it could account for this drop? I know that whenever one of my hubs went "viral" it was because of facebook or reddit.

1. Writer Fox profile image81
      Writer Foxposted 19 months ago in reply to this

The staff knows, but has decided not to reverse the design changes.  When those changes were made, traffic went down again and has stayed down. 

See the traffic chart here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/131436#post2746092

6. paradigm search profile image80
    paradigm searchposted 19 months ago

Been following this thread I have. Gazing once again at it as my first cup of coffee of the day begins its magic. Thought I'd add a positive thought to it...

As the traffic has been falling for the last month, the US Ranking has been improving for the last month; gone from 106 to 100 it has. I'm not awake enough yet to speculate as to the cause(s) of this apparent contradiction.

If you want to see true carnage, check out what the Q chart shows for answers.com, https://www.quantcast.com/answers.com?country=US

That looks like a result of the Google algorithm change in June: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/131340#post2744796

Answers.com still ranks #10 for all U.S. websites and has over 4 million daily unique visitors.  (HP should be so fortunate.)

1. Lady Lorelei profile image76
        Lady Loreleiposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I thought I read Paul say something about removing 1500 articles each day or week or something like that. If they are removing a lot of articles than the views those would have garnered would be gone as well resulting in fewer visits to the site overall.

janderson99posted 19 months ago in reply to this

But the pages removed don't get much traffic. Hubpro improved hubs now cover about 30% of search views see: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/131277. Hubpro boosts traffic. HP quality metrics are inching up. So why has the overall traffic declined? Its a worry!

1. Lady Lorelei profile image76
            Lady Loreleiposted 19 months ago in reply to this

If Hubpro articles are the articles getting all the promotional benefits then they will indeed be getting views counted. Discouraging views on other pages that may have been able to garner traffic is not a good thing and that appears to happen here at Hubpages.

It is possible the Hupro articles out perform other hubs in the same niche/topic and get the traffic at the expense of other hubs. Sad if true. This may explain while Hubpro traffic is up, but overall traffic stagnates.

2. Writer Fox profile image81

I think that Paul E. said the Hubs chosen are Hubs which received 30% of all HP traffic BEFORE they were HubProed, which is why they were chosen for that program.

This is what Paul E said
              " Like I mentioned, about 30% of search views have been through HubPro.  That's substantial.  I'd like us to get to about 60% of search traffic through HubPro."

"Pages representing nearly 30% of the site’s Google traffic have been substantially improved by a team of professional editors, illustrators and photographers. We’ve concentrated on the top traffic pages to impact the greatest number of readers."

Elsewhere Paul E has stated that Hubpro boosts traffic. So why has there been no boost to HP traffic????

2. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Here's what the Quantcast history of Answers.com (blue) compared to Hubpages.com (magenta) is, starting when HubPages began, graphing unique views per month.

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12498558.png

1. colorfulone profile image86
          colorfuloneposted 19 months ago in reply to this

That takes more than research.

Answers.com is one of the few sites which recovered and surpassed the Panda 2011 hit. They figured it out!

2. tsmog profile image86

The perceived Trend Lines are interesting. I was not aware of Answers.com until today. Thank you for enlightening me.

working