Why doesn't HP Apply Own Rules on Affiliates to ALL HUBS

1. janderson99 profile image87
    janderson99posted 16 months ago

In these tough times when HP is showing a decline in traffic, and is waiting expectantly for a Panda Redemption, HP should implement its own rules on affiliates. HP is investing huge resources in Hubpro.

But the word limit rules for the number of affiliate ads has not been updated in the Learning Center (see extract below).

As shown by the quotes below HP made the new 100 word decision in Jan 2105, to only flag hubs with too many affiliates IF they were Edited. Surely after 6 months, it is time for HP to clean up the entire site by applying the rules to ALL hubs. Authors have been given enough time. Quite frankly most old hubs are never edited! Browsing through older hubs shows that many have far too many affiliate ads. This is unfair to authors who HAVE edited their older hubs.
    If this issue is not addressed NOW, it makes the Panda redemption much less likely. IMO this is a very important issue for the future of HP.

1. Sue Adams profile image92
      Sue Adamsposted 16 months ago in reply to this

1. janderson99 profile image87
        janderson99posted 16 months ago in reply to this

I agree. It is a simple matter of unfeaturing hubs that don't comply with the 1 affiliate ad per 100 word rule, and irrelevant ad rule. Surely HP staff could devise a software test to do this automatically. I have had old hubs de-indexed for breaking affiliate rules recently when I edited them (amazon ads had become irrelevant). I also reduced the number of ads 12 months ago for other hubs. It is clearly unfair to not apply the rules to ALL hubs. Authors, and the community, who do the right thing by fixing their hubs are punished when others do not do the edits. The old junk has tainted and pulled down the reputation of the site in the past.

Please HP do it now before Panda 4, otherwise all the hard work done to improve quality could come to nothing. This is an easy fix.

2. Sue Adams profile image92
    Sue Adamsposted 16 months ago

I agree with you, John. Cleaning up the site is far more important than using resources for new gimmicks like putting author bios on hubs as well as on profiles. But who at HP offices is willing to do the most tedious, yet most important task? Or could it be programmed into the system, to simply

- bin all adds that do not comply with the 100 words rule

Or, even better

- bin all hubs that contain the violation (with a warning and a deadline of course).

I tell you, the amount of s**t  on HP looks like a severe case of "hoarders' syndrome" like those people who have to move out because their houses are too full of junk.

I hope that we can give the staff another wake-up call as to what the current priorities are.