Fan fishing

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Overnight, I gained five fans.
    All of the names(but one) were totally unfamiliar.

I had not read  or commented on any of their hubs(except one) so I went to check the profiles and hubtivity of each.

One had fanned about 20 people in the past 8 hours.
    One had fanned about 40 people in the past 11 hours.
    One had fanned about 360 people in the past 11 hours.

And the "winner"--  had fanned about 3,940 people in the past 28 hours-- and was still at it. He also had fanned about another 760 in the previous two weeks. I'm pretty sure he is your fan, too.

I read the work of a hubber before I become a fan. I leave a comment.

Apparently, it is not against the rules to fish for fans,or try to expand your own fan base in this way, but it sure doesn't look good.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We recognize most of these types of antisocial behavior, and they are automatically reflected in Hubber score.

Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Paul. I thought this might be the case.
        Sorry for the can of worms.. I'm hiding my can opener now.

1. AEvans profile image73
          AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It took me 17 months to accumulate as many fans as I have, regretably I am not everyone's fan on my list. I have scrolled to the end of my fan list and have found that they have not published a single article. I enjoy running across a new article and reading it , if I find that I want to become a fan I certainly do. I also find myself popping in from time to time to read my fans articles , although I am finding it more and more difficult as the fan list grows, but I certainly put forth an effort. Someone joining 12-1300 fan lists in a matter of days is amazing, I don't know how they do it as I would rather read and comment, then just join for the heck of it. Only my opinion. smile

2. JamaGenee profile image78
        JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the heads up, Paul.  If "fan spamming" results in a lower hubber score, which in turn affects GPR (google page rank), what's the point?  Better to spend that time writing hubs which will draw fans to them, which in turn will result in a higher score everywhere. cool

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90

Since I posted the first message he has added another 100 to his list.

3. DonnaCSmith profile image84
    DonnaCSmithposted 14 years ago

Busy little bee, eh? I wonder where he/she finds the time?

Laid off? He's even fanning people who have been inactive for a year.

4. BristolBoy profile image64
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

I am the same.  I have heard of people who add everyone who becomes their fans.  However, I have chosen not to do this and only become fans of those who I have liked the hubs of.  This means that I only recieve emails alerting me to new hubs of those people which I like.

1. JamaGenee profile image78

My own personal scoring system:
      Read a new fan's hub.
      If I like it, I hit Thumbs Up.
      If I like the hub a lot, I leave a comment.
      If I read and like more of a new fan's hubs, I'll become their fan too.

Simple.

It is simple isn't it..smile

2. Elena. profile image84
        Elena.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then let me say I'm very honored, Jama. And while I'm here not having a life, ahem, let me also say I'm thinking devious ways to be grateful!  Laugh!  I'm just kidding, Jama sweetheart, BUT I am really honored, that's no joke!

5. Rochelle Frank profile image90

I'm thinking of sending him a request on the subject "Is it ethical, honorable or respectable to become the fan of thousands of hubbers, for the sole purpose of expanding your fan list?"

6. RKHenry profile image62
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

You know, each hubber has the right to run their hubber business they why they want too. Irregardless to how you choose to run yours.  So people fish for fans.  What's it to you anyways?  Are they hurting your business?  You know, my girlfriend isn't too fond of the whore houses outside Las Vegas, NV.  She thinks operating a whore house is an act against humanity.  She feels whore houses are ran like cattle stockyards.  Okay.  Who gives a rat's butt?  Them whore houses make millions of dollars. Those girls like there profession. They make millions of dollars every month or two.  If they want to sell sex, and have an Easter egg hunt between those girls legs, so be it.  What's to bitch about?  Its legal.

So a hubber collects fans like they were baseball cards.  Let them run there business the way they like it.  Why post a thread and publicly bitch about them?  Some people are here for companionship.  Some people are here to make money.  Posting threads like this, could potentially harm another hubbers business- if one of their clients would happen to read this thread.  What right do you have in creating this potential damage?  It's not your life.  It's not your account. 

Talk about being petty.  Get a life.

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow that was rude and an uncalled for posting on your part. If the non-reading type of hubber has the to right to become a fan of thousands of people so does the other hubber have a right to complain about the uselessness of that type of a fan.

Rochelle I'm with you on this one hundred percent. I would rather have fewer fans that are my fan because they like what I have to say then one who just clicks a button in the hopes that I will become his fan too. 

I'm lucky enough to have 559 fans at the moment (I very well might loose some after this) but I can honestly say that I have checked out each and everyones hubs. This is the way I find hubbers that I want to be a fan of. And if those that I'm a fan of end up writing only rubbish after that first few good ones then I have also un-fanned (if there is such a word)... you see that is every hubber right also.

The Forum is for this type of posting whether you like it or not. To use some of your words '...What's to bitch about?  Its legal.'

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90

You are probably right about most of that, RK.
      I didn't mention any names and I do not care how people run their business. It's not my intention to harm And I don't think I'm creating 'potential damage'.
      If people are using tactics that make other people feel they are being played, they are harming themselves. So I should just leave it be.

1. RKHenry profile image62
        RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see. 

But it's like this for me, whatever floats their boat is alright with me.  Some people need security.  Maybe this avenue provides that for them.

3. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like the comparison. I think you're spot on!

From now on I'll call those prolific befrienders 'fan whores'.

Holy Canoli!!! big_smile

7. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 14 years ago

I was on last night, about 3am, and he was going at it, and he's either going at it again, or still going at it.  I don't care, but it does make it distracting when you are trying to see something useful on the Hubtivity page.  All I see is a long row of so-and-so became the fan of so-and-so.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you quit his fan club, you won't see his activity in your hubtivity.

Anne Marie, on your profile page, there's a link to "Edit Hubtivity preferences".  Under "Fans", if you un-select the choices, you'll no longer see who-fanned-who.

Personally, I keep the top two selected, just to see who hubbers I admire have chosen to fan. A good recommendation.

8. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Having read all the posts I agree with everything Jama said and do the same

Cindy, glad you like my system. Are you packed yet?

9. cindyvine profile image69

Nooooooo, this hubpages is keeping me from everything I should be doing!

I got my done earlier today and "fan fishing" someone is catching some tadpoles, have you seen Andy Baker? He is like the energizer bunny..lolololol big_smile

Well, then I shouldn't suggest you write a hub about what's involved in moving from one country to another, right?? lol

10. cindyvine profile image69

Why do people want to do that?  Aren't his Hubs good enough to attract fans?

11. profile image0
    Feline Prophetposted 14 years ago

I did wonder when a certain hubber went on a fan spree a couple of weeks back...is it still happening? And here I was naively thinking he actually read all those hubs and was impressed enough to become a fan! tongue

It takes me an eternity to read a mass amount of articles , if they have a system to reading quickly they should share as I would certainly like to know.big_smile

Try - if the first paragraph doesn't grab you, stop and click to someone else's hub.

Jama, what are we going to do with you??? It is nuts isn't it?? All of the spinning and clogging up hubtivity and then you have the nice young man who can't stand women and of course we all commented on his article, he was truly an odd little person. smile

**Which** nice young man? We've had quite a few "odd little people" here lately.  And it's not even a full moon! lol

1. agvulpes profile image86
              agvulpesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought it was, silly me.

12. 2patricias profile image59
    2patriciasposted 14 years ago

When Hubbers  join our Fan list  we like to think that this is because they have read at least one of our Hubs and liked them! However, we did have a recent bit of fan mail that said 'please join my fan list.'  However, we do not join fan lists unless we actually like their Hubs.  On our 'cross and grumpy' days we sometimes wish there was a group for 'I am the opposite of a fan'.  But on rational (nice) days we realise that hub pages is generally a nice place, so we don't really want that option.
    Occasionally we can through the list of our fans and read their Hubs.  There are a few Hubbers that we like that we always read - and sometimes we even email each other pointing out particularly good Hubs.

13. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

IDK..why not just check out there hubs, if they are truly subpar...thumbs down and/or flag until they have nothing left to try and promote via "overfanning"

since they fan so many..if just afew react this way...they should be shut down rather quickly

sunforged what would we do without you...(((big hugs))) :::::::::::::::::::smile

sunforged, are you writing from the hot tub??

14. sunforged profile image71

sadly yes!

I dunno...can't think of anything sad about sittin' in a hot tub with a laptop.  Oh...right...it's Saturday night.  Sorry.

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it was 3am  here!

15. sunforged profile image71

but its to damn cold in ny..to take my hands out of the water to type!

16. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I like my fans too. I actually sit for hours going through my fans Hubs. I may not always say anything but I give them my thumbs up and time. smile I dont think anything was wrong Rochelle about that fan spamming comment, lol tongue smile

17. Rochelle Frank profile image90

I think he posted fan mails for 21 hours straight yesterday... during one particularly 'good' hour he posted about 300 of them.
    I wonder if he has a program that does this automatically? or maybe employees who take shifts?
    For all of the activity in the past 2 days he has gained about 30 fans, but his hubber's score has gone from 42 to 22.
    Probably hasn't had time to check this thread.

I just read three of his hubs-- what a surprise-- duplicate content under a different name. Wonder if he is being copied?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)