jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

how do we know which images are kosher?

1. K.D. Clement profile image85
    K.D. Clementposted 7 years ago

First, hi!  I am new to the hubber community and enjoying my time here so far.

So I am writing my second hub right now about a some very commercial businesses and was wondering if I can use images of these businesses that I find through google.  How do you know when an image has been copyrighted?  Where can I go for photographs? 

Thank you,
    K.D. Clement

2. DonnaCSmith profile image84
    DonnaCSmithposted 7 years ago

If it doesn't say it is in public domain then consider it copyrighted. If it is copyrighted then try emailing the photographer if the website gives that info and ask permission to use it. Credit to the photograper in your cutline.

Wikipedia is a pretty good source for photos. It tells if a photo is public domain and gives the photographer's name, etc.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Donna has it absolutely correct.  A lot of people assume that if a photo doesn't have a "copyright" sign on it, it's fair game. In fact, the opposite is true.  It's not free to use unless it says it's free to use.

Some writers don't care and say, "if I can copy it, why can't I use it?".  In response, I'd say - how would you feel if someone copied your article without asking, on the principle that you've put it up on the internet so it's fair game? 

So my attitude is to have the same respect for photographers that I would have for other writers.

3. mugshot profile image75
    mugshotposted 7 years ago

Bah Donna beat me to it! Good post Donna I was going to say the same.

4. K.D. Clement profile image85
    K.D. Clementposted 7 years ago

Thank you so much for your replies.  Did not know that about Wikepedia.  I was very reticent about using the images I copied because I worried that it could be copyright infringement.  I agree with you Marisa and I appreciate your insight.

;-) K.D.