How to get out of the basement with hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Holly22 profile image83
    Holly22posted 8 years ago

So now I have been with hubpages nine months. My collection of hubs has risen from 30 with squidoo to well over 50. All of my articles are up to hub standard and new hubs I always use hub guidelines. Upon conversion my 30 hubs earned 23 cents a day, now my 55 hubs earn me 6 or 8 cents a day. I know there have been google changes but even so, I cannot see for the life of me why the earnings are so poor. I do not expect a large income like hubbers who spend a lot of hours doing lots of things. But 8 cents a day is pretty abysmal. I have asked for feedback before and the changes I made have little impact. I will continue but more because I like writing not for any hope of pecuniary compensation. All I was hoping was maybe $1 a day by now but I suppose once stuck in the basement there is little you can do.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The main thing to understand about earnings is that it is based on impressions.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#impressions

Most visitors come from search and the vast majority of those search visitors come from Google searches.
      So the best way to get traffic for your Hubs is to do SEO research before you start writing.

The primary point to understand about SEO is that you want to be competitive.
      If you do this sort of SEO research before you create a Hub, then you can get an idea of how your Hub may fair in the search results.

The best strategy to work toward more traffic and earnings is to continue to write high quality Hubs.
      The more Hubs you have, generally the more opportunity you have to find readers and earn.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

First:  It's against the TOS at HP to reveal your earnings.  You can be banned for doing this.

Second:  30 to 50 articles, unless extremely well written on highly desirable topics will not bring in views or money.

Third:  Are you doing key word research and using some SEO?  This is extremely important.  You want to write on topics for which people search rather than topics you simply want to write about.

I know it is disheartening to work hard for so long and make so little, but earning takes time, and sometimes people simply do not make any real money here.

Why not take some time and play around with the Google Adword/Keywords chart to get some idea about what people are searching for.  Then go online and search Google for that topic to see how many articles are already written about it and who is writing them.

If competition is mostly just other writers, go for it.  If it's big names, forget it!  Nobody will ever find your work!

Good luck.

Holly22posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yikes I had no idea about not quoting earnings. Can I delete my post. 1000 apologies

3. Holly22 profile image83

Sorry to anyone reading this. I have been a fool. I did not realise I should not reveal earnings. If anyone knows jow to delete I eould like to do so

1. Jason Marovich profile image87
        Jason Marovichposted 8 years agoin reply to this
      2. chasmac profile image91
        chasmacposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry - It's the earnings "rate" that's the big nono - i.e., how much you're being paid per view (or per thousand views). If you had also mentioned the number of views you'd been getting, that would be indirectly revealing your approximate rate. Hubbers sometimes mention money earned in general terms such as making their first dollar or first payout, but not the payment rate. Those would  be deleted - the posts I mean - not the Hubbers (I hope).

2. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

It takes a while to see substantial earnings, Holly2. Each hubber experience is different but I will tell you I collected pennies a day for months before I received a payout my 9th month. It was also much easier 1-1/2 years ago to make better earnings and reach a dollar a day. Not so anymore for some of us. I believe earnings are down across the board. I encourage you to have patience until things cycle out and hopefully get better. You also need more articles to increase your chances of getting more earnings. Good advice from Matthew Meyer.

I want to thank Matthew and Jan for your response. I will take it all in and yes Jan, I will definitely continue. Thank you.

3. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 8 years ago

Good advice timetraveler2

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

Sad to say, but I think some of your topics might be too high-brow for much of the general population who want to learn how to get a bigger butt or find out Justin Bieber's secret cell phone number.

On the other hand, building a niche for yourself is very smart. How are your more intellectual topics doing views-wise? If they're not doing well, do some keyword research and try adding in keywords, as others have suggested, and perhaps consider adding a few more articles that would appeal to a wider audience (but don't abandon your niche, especially if it is your passion and specialty).

Also, be sure to give your articles names which are what someone might type into a search engine if they are looking for the information you are providing. Some of your titles are spot-on but others are a bit iffy.

Are you on straight AdSense? If so, try switching over to HP ads. I tend to make more $ with that and I believe many others have the same experience.

I have heard eBay isn't all that great either, but wasn't it recently overhauled? Maybe people are earning more with eBay now. I do OK with Amazon but have never tried eBay as I had always heard it was not worth it. That may have changed now, though.

Well now I think I have some quality feedback. I think I will follow the niche route and try to develop a following through keywords as suggested. I cannot write about Bieber. Again, I feel awful about the earnings goof and have learned my lesson. Thanks to everyone. Onward hubbers.....

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I do think you have some articles with wide appeal, such as those about JK Rowling, pirate costume ideas, model trains, the chutney recipe, etc. Keep writing on those types of topics as well as your history niche, and hopefully your views on both types of hubs will rise.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)