jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Crawl Error Issues

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image95
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 15 months ago

This was brought up once before, but since Matt Cutts says not to worry about them, I let this issue slide.  However, one of the things that lower rankings (as per the recent Google updates) is having too many 404s.

I have a combo of 404 and 410 but frankly, I don't even know what most of them are for because they say things like "sidebar"  and "desk"  and "automotive"...and are not URLs or titles of articles I wrote.  I see no way of ridding myself of them, but since Google does not give instructions, I am hoping somebody here ha the answer. 

With more than 202 404s and 410s this appears to be a real problem.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 15 months ago in reply to this

There was a post a few months ago about what I think is the same issue.
      Paul Edmondson responded here.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 15 months ago in reply to this

Yes, it's the same issue, but apparently the issue still exists.  I have a ton of 410s but a fair number of 404s as well.  As yet, nobody seems to have told us how to remove these warnings from WMT...and I recently read that one of the things that will lower a sites rank is a lot of 404 warnings!

Any thoughts?

2. Sue Adams profile image91
    Sue Adamsposted 15 months ago

4 months ago

Well, what happened Paul? Have you found any solutions?

4 months ago you said you would tackle this issue, any results?

Obviously not. The 404s are still there in abundance.

What are you going to do about it?

3. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 15 months ago

We tried the solution for the 404s caused by Google Publisher Tags, but we still see them, although I'm not seeing many new notifications.

I believe I mentioned this before, Google extracts what they think are URLs from js (even when they are not).  Then they try and crawl and index what they find.  In the case with GPT they aren't URLs, so they show as 404s in Google Search Console. 

We aren't concerned with this causing a ranking issues, but I do think it's annoying that they show up in GSC.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 15 months ago in reply to this

And yet I am reading that too many of them ARE becoming ranking issues.  Why don't you contact Google to make sure about this, because it may have changed....and while you're doing that, ask them to give writers a way to get rid of them!