jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: Health Benefits of Eating Kaniwa

1. Chuck Bluestein profile image86
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 2 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Health Benefits of Eating Kaniwa. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

My hub before this was okay and the 2 hubs after this were also okay

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If the article doesn't cover chia seeds, they won't accept a product link to buy chia seeds on Amazon.

Chuck Bluesteinposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks but it does devote a paragraph to chia seeds. But I will try removing that link.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
          Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Those who mentioned the chia seeds ad were right, and I'm glad you removed it.  For future reference:

The rule with links, including Amazon/eBay capsules is that they must be related to your topic.  "Tangentially related" is not enough.  So, for instance, if you're writing about Kaniwa and happen to mention Chia, you can't say "for more about Chia read here" and provide a link - and you can't put a chia product in an Amazon capsule, either. 

My guess about this Hub is that (a) the title doesn't reflect what the Hub is about and (b) it's too derivative.

The title - your Hub is exploring what Kaniwa is, not specifically the health benefits.  So the title is incorrect. 

The content - this seems to consist largely of information drawn from other websites.  That can have real value if you're pulling together information that's scattered across several sources - but if all you're doing is listing quotes in a fairly random order, that's not very helpful to the reader.  Much better to  break down that information and organise it into logical sections, combining together sections from different sources where necessary.     You can credit your sources at the end, perhaps in a links capsule (you might get a warning about too many links together, but if you clearly title the capsule as "Sources", "Credits", or "Further Reading", you can safely ignore it).

Finally, I'd suggest proof-reading more carefully - I'm seeing little mistakes in sentence structure and grammar which make the article uncomfortable to read (e.g. "Studies have shown that adding a hand full a day of nuts and seeds to one's diet lengthens their life" should be "Studies have shown that adding a handful of seeds to one's diet lengthens one's life" - or, more informally, ...."to your diet lengthens your life".)

Thanks. I have read hundreds of articles that have the title "health benefits of this." They always tell about what the food is. But you have given me an idea about more health benefits. The problem may be that it is like quinoa and many sites say that quinoa is a grain when it a seed. But according to botany grains are seeds of grasses. So I will try removing that stuff about that.

For example corn is a grain although it appears more like a vegetable to me. But botany says that all grains are fruits, so corn is a fruit, vegetable and a grain.

The reason that I have read hundreds of articles that say health benefits of this is because when I look up foods like yumberries on Google I will search for health benefits of yumberries. The first site that Google shows with the above search says:

"Yumberries (the new name for yang-mei fruit) have been grown and enjoyed in China for thousands of years. They look a little bit like a raspberry with a sweet-sour flavor similar to cranberry and pomegranate juice. Their texture is unique -- slightly stringy like the flesh of citrus fruit -- with a pit in the center."

The above tells what it is, not the benefits. Note that the entire article is only about 200 words.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94

I think you've misunderstood my post.  Surely we're talking about what you need to do to pass QAP, not what other people on other sites do.

If you are going to title the Hub "health benefits of ...." then to meet HubPages' standards, the main part of the Hub needs to be about that.  There is nothing wrong with including a discussion about grains and seeds as well, and I would not suggest removing it.

2. Venkatachari M profile image84
      Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It contains lots of links to other sites and quotes taken from other sites. So, originality is lacking in the hub.

2. Nagalekshmi profile image61
    Nagalekshmiposted 2 years ago

Hi,
    Your article needs to be edited and cleared of the links to other sites.HP doesnot allow directly linking to a site that has more details about your content.It is good to read the web for more information, but try to present it in your way.
    When I read the hub, I felt it was like what various sites had to say about the health benefits of kaniwa. It was not really pleasant to read. It is a great topic, but requires its author's care, attention and his own words. All the best!

1. Marisa Wright profile image94

Nagalekshmi, you are new and you have misunderstood the rule.  HP does allow direct linking to another site which gives more details about your Hub topic.  If you had trouble with it, perhaps you were doing it the wrong way.

working