jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Pictures on Hubs, Good or Bad?

1. Don Bobbitt profile image93
    Don Bobbittposted 15 months ago

I guess I'm prejudiced. That's Right, prejudiced!
    If you write  Hub here on HP, but you can't include a picture of some kind, then I just delete your Hub. That's Right, I delete it.
    I like to see who wrote what I am thinking about taking my time and reading.
    OK, If you think you're ugly, or have some ancient religious requirement that makes you hide your face, then, at least put a picture of your Cat, or Dog, something.
    Something that gives your readers a sense of who you are. A symbol of you!
    When I see that grey, shadow man (woman?), that's it, I delete the article.
    Be proud of something about yourself, and take the time to symbolize YOU!

1. lions44 profile image92
      lions44posted 15 months ago in reply to this

Agreed.  There's an art to picking the right photos or graphics.  And the best hubs inform and entertain.  Otherwise, they turn into rants or bore fests.

2. lisavanvorst profile image78
      lisavanvorstposted 15 months ago in reply to this

I see no harm with a picture. We are not here for a beauty contest, just to write and enjoy others who write. Picture of graphic does not matter to me.

2. MizBejabbers profile image92
    MizBejabbersposted 15 months ago

Don, I hope you don't delete mine because I have a cute kitty cat avatar and not my photo. I used to use my actual photo, but then I decided to delete it. The reason: at this time I work for a non-partisan political agency and could lose my job if management didn't like something I said (especially in innocence). I realize this is a country of free speech for most people, but not for everyone. As long as I keep my opinions to myself I would probably be safe, but I'm not that type of writer. I am an outspoken journalist, and it is safer to keep my identity and my looks (what little this old lady has left) hidden. So until I retire I will continue to use my pen name and if I use a real photo, it won't be easy to identify me in it. So please understand why I do this and keep reading me. It isn't laziness on my part. If you want my real name and photo, I'll be glad to email them to you privately. Thanks, Miz. B

Don Bobbittposted 15 months ago in reply to this

Mizbejabbers- Oh, I understand!
      My whole thing is that strange and foreboding shadow image they use if not Pic is supplied. I like Cats. They are arrogant and self-centered! Kind of like us writers? LOL!
      Have a good day!

3. Payal N Naik profile image80
    Payal N Naikposted 15 months ago

True that! Pictures speak on our behalf when someone views our profile. It gives life to our Profile and blogs.

You hit it on the head!
      Symbolic! Personality!
      Not to mention the old adage of a picture being worth a thousand words!

4. colorfulone profile image87
    colorfuloneposted 15 months ago

colorfulone- A picture is worth a thousand words, and almost as many questions. For instance looking at this pic, my mind wants to know;
      1- who is that woman?
      2- What the heck is that white thing behind her?
      3- What is she sitting on?
      4- What is she trying to tell us?
      Great example of why I hate that strange shadow image and want my writers to put a picture of themselves, or something that, in itself, says something.
      Thanks, DON

1. colorfulone profile image87
        colorfuloneposted 15 months ago in reply to this

Don, I do not get any enjoyment from "that strange shadow image" either. 
        Point well taken.   

I lived in a tipi. The white thing is canvas used to trap heat in from the open fire over my bed that I was sitting on.

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 15 months ago

Yes to avatars on profiles - keeping the same one is good, as people are more likely to remember a pic vs a name.

Yes to pictures in hubs - specifically, MFP (Made for Pinterest) images, coz that's where a good portion of my traffic comes from.

6. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 15 months ago

I guess I've done myself in, according to MzB!  I write under a pen name, but use my real photo. LOL

HOWever, I've noticed that now does not matter--HP has taken to putting our REAL names UNDER our pen-names.  That might not be a good thing for folks such as MzB, who need to keep their professional persona separate!

And BTW, Don--you can't delete our hub--only we authors ourselves can do that.  ;-)  You are free to ignore and not re-visit, however.  smile

7. adevwriting profile image78
    adevwritingposted 15 months ago

I think the writer is judged by what he/she writes. His/her appearance may or may not matter. The writer should be sure about what he/she is writing. Sometimes privacy matters and you can represent yourself by images that define your values or your interests.

When you create Hubs, you should include only relevant images not just for the fact that they might have high quality.