jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Anyone have luck filing DMCAs for websites not in English?

1. hrymel profile image87
    hrymelposted 15 months ago

I have one hub that's been copied on to a Chinese language, Wiki type website. They've just copied my article, and translated it into Chinese via Google Translate or something similar.

I've had some luck in the past getting articles removed fom other sites, but it's been through constant pestering, and contacting hosting, etc. But I don't know how to do that with a website in Chinese.

2. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 15 months ago

I've had no luck with DMCAs on foreign sites. If they don't have adsence and don't respond to my messages I'm not sure what else to do.

hrymelposted 15 months ago in reply to this

That's what I was afraid of. sad

3. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 15 months ago

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act is a law in the United States.

You should not expect people to know about, understand or act based on laws not in effect in their home countries.

Which doesn't mean the random foreigner is never scared by a really formal sounding, legally-threatening letter from an American.

The do utilize a wiki. web address, would that not require them to abide by DMCA regulations?

1. SheilaMilne profile image89
        SheilaMilneposted 15 months ago in reply to this

Wiki doesn't mean Wikipedia. It's a type of software run on different sites.

I didn't realize that. Well, drats.

4. Suzanne Day profile image97
    Suzanne Dayposted 15 months ago

Report it to Google and get them out of Google search for a start....search Google DMCA to find the reporting page.

If they're on Baidu (China's largest search engine), you might be able to do something with Baidu too, though not sure.

I've had trouble with foreign sites but if they're small potatoes, reporting them to Google as spam or DMCA is usually enough. Most of them vanish within a year or two anyway.

If it's a big deal and a "good" meaty site, try everything you can to translate the page and see if there's anything you can do about removal. Look for links about "abuse" or "spam" for emailing the platform or look up the web host for email addresses with "abuse" or "spam" in them for reporting.