jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

When does the copied hub icon get removed?

1. CatherineGiordano profile image90
    CatherineGiordanoposted 21 months ago

I had two hubs copied, one about two weeks ago and one a couple of months ago. I was lucky in that the thieves took it down within 24 hours after I asked them to take it down.

But the copyright icon remains on my account page. Does it ever come off? How can I tell if the icon is there for a former duplication or a new one?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Hi Catherine,

It does take a little while; the notice should go away within 30 days of the duplicate content being removed.

CatherineGiordanoposted 21 months ago in reply to this

It has been over three months since the first one was taken down and the icon is still there. http://catherinegiordano.hubpages.com/h … -Happiness

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
          Christy Kirwanposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Hi Catherine,

I just double checked with the Team, and it looks like Hubs with higher traffic are checked more frequently, but it can actually take up to 180 days for the copyright symbol to go away depending on the level of traffic.

2. janshares profile image90
          jansharesposted 21 months ago in reply to this

I have one, too. It's been a few months. I actually emailed the responsible party and they took it down after I filed and contacted them a second time. The symbol remains.

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image86
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 21 months ago in reply to this

I have 2 hubs like that , which were copied. I filed DMCA as per instructions and they were removed/ taken down within a week. That happened in Oct. 2014. But the copied hubs symbol in red is still visible against those hubs. I had written to HP team and they replied that it will be taken back within few days. But its still there. I am getting fairly good traffic for the above mentioned  hubs.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 21 months ago

I wouldn't worry about how long it takes for the notice to be removed. As Christy said, it could take up to 180 days depending on how much traffic it receives.

I'm actually glad the notice stays for a while because I've had cases where after the web host took down the plagiarized copy, the thief reposted my hub using another hosting company. Then I had to file another DMCA takedown request with the new host.

So it's helpful to keep a close eye on plagiarized hubs for several months, even after a successful DMCA compliance. I consider the notice to be a reminder so I recheck every so often.

Thanks Glen. I should probably check my hubs in copyscape and make sure they weren't posted with a different hosting company. I have rechecked the links and they are dead links, but using a new link hadn't occurred to me.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 21 months ago in reply to this

It's actually the same link. They just move to a new host when the prior host responds to your takedown notice as required by the DMCA.

Thanks Glen: In that case they have not been reposted elsewhere. The 2nd guy actually apologized to me. He said he didn't know copying wasn't allowed.

working